Getting to know you - April 12

Ann

Tough one always ssomething new to beat last one. Most recent was Debs passing I would have to say. Don't know why though?

Without a doubt, the most spiritual moment in my life was witnessing Dennis leave this life and pass on to a better one. Just after he passed, my best friend and my DIL were outside. They heard a noise, looked up, and saw what must have been ten thousand little birds hovering over the end of the house where Dennis's body was. The Hospice nurse said she had never witnessed anything quite like this and asked if she could use this story to pass on to others. All of my neighbors were all standing in their yards, looking up in tears. These birds stayed until the transport vehicle showed up to remove Dennis' body. Then, these birds left, flying over the van for miles, according to the driver. My neighbor identified these little birds as Swifts. We have never seen these birds again. At that moment, I had to believe that God and Dennis were sending us a beautiful sign.

WOW ANN THAT GAVE ME GOOSE BUMP'S.. YOU REALLY SHOULD SHARE THAT WITH MAYBE SOME RELIGIOUS MAGAZINE OR MAYBE READER'S DIGEST..BUT LIKE DON THERE HAS BEEN SO MANY IN MY LONG LIFE SO FAR, MAYBE THE SUDDEN RUSH OF RELIEF I FELT WHEN MY WIFE PASSED BUT I JUST CAN NOT REALLY PICK OUT ONE.....

I have mentioned before some of the signs I look for from Johnny. I have to say that probably the most spiritual happened the week after he died. Before that the signs helped some but that day I knew he was near I could feel him there.

It was getting close to Christmas and my family was far away. No matter how messed up I was I had to shop for their gifts. I also had Christmas cards to make out and send.

That Sunday morning I sat at my table and made out my cards to send. I had them all made out but one. I wanted to send one to Johnny's uncle. We had gotten a letter from him several weeks earlier with some pictures of the old school he went to. I had shown them to Johnny's sister just a few days earlier.

When I went for the letter to get his address it was gone. I searched the whole house and finally decided that maybe his sister had mistakenly grabbed them with her things when she left.

I used all of my stamps so I devided the cards into two piles, one with stamps and one without. I decided that when I got home from shopping I would email his uncle for his address. I left the cards on the table and left to do my shopping. On the way home I stopped for stamps.

When I got home I poured myself a cup of coffee and sat at the table to finish getting my cards ready to mail. There spread out across the cards were the pictures and the envelope with Lou's address was laying face up next to them. At that moment I felt Johnny close to me. I know that letter was not there when I left. I had turned my house upside down looking for it.

That experience left me open and more able to recognize and accept the many more that I would have. That is when I truly realized that death was not the end :!:

I'm not sure how to relate this one.....I had to pick out the final resting spot for my dad just few days before he passed -- I walked and walked around and suddenly a great wind came up at a certain place and I just knew that was the spot (really beautiful spot too). My dad was in-and-out of consciousness during those last days at the nursing home under hospice care.

I had come into the nursing home the afternoon on the day he passed to find him not so comfortable-looking. While I was with him, I saw a white light flashing just over his body. I next had to take mom home and call hospice to meet me back at the nursing home. Now, all this time, hospice also had a device in the room that played the sounds of wind chimes and falling water to comfort and soothe him......we got dad much more comfortable and I was told he had another two days or so by his condition at the time. I left, and he passed within the next couple of hours: when mom and I returned, the sound of the wind chimes was gone from that device hospice had in the room....only the sound of falling water remained (the device was not broken and had not been touched).

I am convinced that it was my dad who was with me, helping me, all those hard days before his passing and that the wind was my signal that his spirit lived on. I also saw that flashing white light again in the corner of the room on the day of his memorial service.