Update on my niece, Tracy

Kasey

Last word WAS that she was being considered for chemo, rad, and a complete right pneumonectomy. Just one more procedure which was yesterday. My brother couldn't remember the name of the test, but it was to determine if there was any spread of the cancer. Docs felt there was no need for concern about this. Well, they were WRONG. There were 50 nodes found to be affected. So now her stage is upgraded to either 3B or 4 and surgery is no longer an option. I didn't have the heart to ask that yet.

So, my surgeon at NIH has agreed to see her and look at all her 'stuff' thus far. Not sure that even he can do anything, but there is no downside to getting his take. I also value is expertise..............he did, after all, save MY life. Wouldn't it be something if he could do the same for Tracy. But I will not entertain that thought and be disappointed. Tracy is being discharged today and apparently there is talk of a clinical trial at Mass Gen involving Iressa. I am confused since I was under the impression that Iressa was discontinued unless you were grandfathered in due to already being on it and achieving good results with it. So will try to find out via more research about that.

Thank you all for listening. There is NOWHERE else I can go with all this................folks either don't understand OR really don't care all that much. You know, it is isn't them, so, well..............

Will let you know of any interesting developments as they occur.

Love to each and every one of you out there.

Kasey

Kasey...I am so very sorry that you don't have better news about your niece. I think it is great that she has the option to see your doctor. It always makes us feel better when we are being treated by a doctor we know and trust. Like you said, he saved your life and I'm sure he can help Tracy too. Just remember that we are always here to listen. You have done so much to help so many on this MB. How could we not be here for you at a time when you need us? I will be saying prayers for Tracy, as I am sure others on this board will be doing. Kasey...you are such a wonderful gal and we all love you!!!

I'm thinking of you and Tracy and hoping for the best. I'm so glad that your doctor is seeing her, as you said she has nothing to lose and hopefully everything to gain. At least you will now hear an opinion that you trust.

Take care of yourself too, won't you.

love

Geri

Kasey,

I am hoping for the best and thinking of your neice. Just FYI, one person from the board awhile ago comes to mind where her dad was IIIB, told no surgery, but had such a great response to chemo that he had the surgery and was NED.

Hi Kasey--Found this at Mass General and Dana Farber. See links below, also some other links that might be helpful. CenterWatch breaks it down by condition and state. Hope this helps. Rich

http://cancercare.harvard.edu/cli/trial ... med-trials

http://www.mgh.harvard.edu/cancer/crr/t ... /index.asp

http://search.centerwatch.com/default.a ... n=&ct=&ln=

http://www.centerwatch.com/patient/studies/area12.html

http://crnet.mgh.harvard.edu/clinical_t ... _areas.asp

I am very sorry Kasey. Your neice may not have processed it all yet and you are going to have your hands full for a while. I hope your surgeon can help her.

It has been over 2 years since I found out about my cancer and it still seems kind of surrealistic.

Don M

There is NOWHERE else I can go with all this................folks either don't understand OR really don't care all that much.

I care, Kasey. Even though I haven't been posting much, I am trying to read every day.

Prayers for your sweet niece. I can tell that you love her very much!!!

Love,

Peggy

Kasey I really hope your doctor can help your niece. Her diagnosis sounds very similar to mine and Tarceva has worked a miracle for me. I don't know the eligibility requirements in the States, over here it is still a trial drug. I would look into it though, just a thought.

Sending you lots of positive thoughts,

Sharon

I'm so sorry to hear about your niece. :cry:

I know she has young children.. that was the hardest part for me when they discussed my options or lack there of. Hopefully this clinical trial will do the trick and like you said it never hurts to have another opinion.

I'm so sick of this disease... Life just seems to be getting more and more difficult.

I will be praying for her and the family.

Take care.

I've been watching for this update - I'm just so bummed that the news wasn't better. :(:(

Kasey, thank God she has you to help her muddle through this. Your doctor worked magic for you, and I hope & pray he can do the same for her.

And after all of the support and courage you have offered so many, I'm sure I speak for many when I say we are GLAD to return the support you've given so many others.

Sending BIG, WARM hugs of strength, and prayers for HEALING!!

~ Stacey