Hello.. New here

MsC1210

Hello everyone,

My name is Chris and I am new here. I just found this site and thought it looked really nice.

I lost a very special person to lung cancer this past December and am still trying to process the whole ordeal. He was diagnosed in September and things just progressed so quickly. When the cancer was first found it was already at stage IIIb and had spread to his liver. I might add here that this man worked out religiously at the gym, treated his body like a shrine and never, ever smoked a day in his life. He avoided fast foods and junk food like the plague and I used to kid him saying he could be the poster child for healthy living. I just cannot get my head completely wrapped around the fact that someone this healthy and vibrant could be struck down so fast. He was only 31 when I lost him, his 32nd birthday would have been yesterday.

I made him a promise before he died that I would never give up fighting and looking for a cure.. And so, here I am.

I hope this post is not too long or inappropriate. I look forward to meeting people in similar situations perhaps to share stories and support and work together towards a cure.

Thanks for reading and listening,

Chris :)

Thank you. Wow you sure have been through a lot already. My prayers are with you!

I might mention my friend was up in Canada, not sure about that country's healthcare system to be honest. I wish he would have come state~side for another opinion but by the time his cancer was found it was most likely too late.

We do what we can and we liv eto fight another Day. Welcome aboard. Sorry you have to be here but glad you found us. This board is full of compassionate thoughtful caring and knowledgeable people.

Chris,

Welcome to the site. We have members putting together a walk in the Boston area to benefit lung cancer research and this site. Depending on what area you are in maybe you'd be interested in volunteering. I am glad you found us.

Rochelle

Hello Katie and thank you for your kind words.

Yes, if we all make that initial step towards winning this war, then I have complete faith that we will. I feel it is very important to draw attention, especially to this particular form of cancer and educate people as much as possible. I know I learned many things that I had no idea about until faced with this. I truly believe that Knowledge is power.

Welcome Chris,

I am very sorry about the loss of your friend.

Like him, my husband was diagnosed at 31. I struggled with the thought that something like this could happen to him when he took such good care of himself, exercised, ate decent, wasn't smoking and was simply the best human being I've ever met. If anything it should have been me who is over weight, eat nothing but crap, never exercise and burn the candle at both ends. Cancer I guess does not discriminate. And unfortunately, most common with Lung Cancer is for it to be too late to cure once it is found. My husband was stage IV from the beginning.

I don't think I will ever understand this. But I hope that I can have the strength I see in you to continue the fight for a cure even after such a loss.

God Bless you Chris and keep you warm and comforted.

Thank you so much! I am really just amazed at the responses I have had here already. I, like I am sure most everyone else touched by this dreaded disease, never dreamed my life would be impacted by it. I am coping, the loss is still pretty new as it has only been 4 months but each day seems to get just a little easier. Finding such a wonderful group of people that know first hand how devastating this is is so helpful. I was not quite ready to do this before but it felt right now, and so here I am.

Again, thank you for your care and your warm welcome. I hope that together we will all see an end to this disease.

Carlene, my heart goes out to you. I know EXACTLY what you mean when you said it should have been you. I am a former smoker, I quit a year ago this past November, partly due to Brad's nagging but mainly for myself. At that point I did begin to eat better, leaning towards fresh and organic foods rather than the processed junk. You can understand fully my shock and disbelief at hearing the news that Brad had lung cancer. My initial reaction was that this was simply not possible! But, as you say and as he told me from the very onset, cancer does not discriminate, and nobody is immune.

How sadly true that is.

Please keep in touch.. I look forward to getting to know you more..

Take care,

hugs,

Chris

Welcome Chris,

I'm so sorry to here about the loss of your friend it just breaks my heart he was way to young...

I hope you find as much comfort here as I do dealing with a loss is just so life altering.. Lossing my Dad just kills me every day he was a great man, he was my Dad, my friend and my safe place.He is where I could go and feel safe and now that all gone because of Lung Cancer.:cry: I HATE CANCER!!!

Michele

Michele,

I am so very sorry about your dad. I agree, my Brad was very young to be taken by such a horrid disease. He was in Canada and he would phone me almost every evening and tell me about the chemo treatments and how much he hated them. I felt so helpless as there was nothing at all I could do but listen and be as supportive as I could be all the while trying to hide my fear. Brad told me one night about being in for his daily treatment and how there was a little child in the next room. I think that was the only time I ever heard him really negative and down. Cancer is by far the most evil and devastatingly destructive force I have ever experienced. I wish there was something more I could say to you to ease the pain I know you have. I find it comforting to know that there are people, here especially, that can understand that pain. The warmth and kindness I have felt this evening is just so wonderful...

Please stay in touch and know that you are in my thoughts..

Hi Chris, and welcome. I'm new here as well, but my mom "KarHart" has been here for a while. I am so sorry for your loss. Please know that you are in a very good place now for healing and support! And hopefully together, we can all see an end to this monster disease, and the fulfillment of your promise to your friend. Hugs and prayers,