Dad just diagnosed with lung cancer

This is my first time to post. I searched the web to find some support because I found out last week that my dad has stage IIIa lung cancer which has spread to his lymph nodes. He started radiation treatments this week. He will have radiation treatments five times a week with chemo once a week. I am really sad and concerned because the information I have been reading does not sound promising. He has been a smoker since he was young but did give it up when he was diagnosed. His cancer was found by accident when he went in with back pain and the nurses sent him for a chest x-ray instead of an x-ray on his back. They found a 3 cm mass on his upper right lung. Too close to the heart to try to remove. Just hoping for some support. Thanks.

Thank you so much for that encouragement. No one really understands what I am going through because all of my friends and my husband have not had to deal with any serious illnesses with their parents (thankfully).

The goal with my dad's treatment right now is to shrink the tumor and stop it from spreading. If they shrink it there is a chance they can go in and remove it.

I am just so sad because he is very scared right now.

Welcome Christy,

I understand exactly how scared you are. I also understand the sadness and devastation. I remember so well the first few months after diagnosis when my world was spinning out of control and I felt so helpless and I didn't know what to do. But the hardest part of all of it then, and now, is seeing someone I love more than anything being scared and hurt and suffering. I would rather take it all onto myself than see my loved one bearing that burden.

Please try and take it one day at a time. Don't look at statistics because they are false. They are based on old data from before current treatments and protocols have made big increases in survivability.

Come here anytime you need to talk to someone who understands. We are here to support you and care for you when you are down, when you are happy, and when you need prayers. You now have 3000+ people praying for your dad, and praying for you.

I pray that the treatments work miracles on your dad and that he be eligible for surgery. I am praying for his cure.

Welcome Christy,

I so sorry about your Dad,I know how scared you are it like a helpless feeling. I have been in your shoes and my advise to you would be don't listen to the statistics everyone is different.. But stay positive and keep your Dad positive thats half the battle.. I'm here if you want to PM!

Take care

Michele

The4se guys ar emaking me cry sorry. Listening to country music doesn't help/ This is I think the best place to be for you right now under the circumstances. ( All Better now sorry bout that they do it occasionally) where was I? Oh yeah! This is the most knowledgeable compassionate caring intelligent group of people who deal with this disease. Let us know about treatments and we can answer almost any if not all your questions. We are always around and every tues night is chat night. Read the good news and survivors forum first for inspiration. Lets get ready to rumble and Kick a little cancer BOOTY!!!! 8)

Welcome, Christy!

I'm new here, but my mom (KarHart) has been here for a while. You've already been given great advice, so I will just say that I can relate to what you are going through. I just lost my dad a month ago to this awful disease. He beat the statistics and the odds by surviving longer than the docs thought he would. I know how hard it is to watch your dad be afraid and to know that you would take it all away and go through it yourself, if only you could. I know it's hard, I really do. But I also know that there is reason for hope, so please hang on to that. We are all here any time you need to vent. And if you want to send me a PM, feel free! Hugs, and prayers to you and your family!

Welcome Christy. Has he started Chemo yet? Any radiation? I bet he had lots of tests so far, we all do. Just wanted to say I had chemo and radiation to shrink my tumor for possible surgery .

It worked, after surgery I found out it was all dead scar tissue and best of all I am an 8and 1/2 year survivor with no signs of cancer. My tumor was larger than your Dads. Please keep us posted.

Donna G

Hi Christy and welcome here.

I know how scared you are, we have all walked in your shoes. But first I would like to say the LC is not a death sentence so get that out of your mind. There are so many people her who are staged what you dad is and some even stage IV who are in remission and are doing remarkably well. Some for years after they were told they only had months.

I am glad they have a plan for him. Chemo is doable and not as bad as you may envision. There are many drugs out there that can help with the side effects, if needed.

Good luck to him and know that we are always here for you. Once they start his treatment you will all feel better.

They also caught my husbands by accident when he hurt is back too.

Hopefully they will shink his tumor and will be able to operate.

Keep us posted.

Maryanne

Hi Christy,

Big welcome to you! You will have much support here as you go through this with your Dad. There is much to learn. Knowledge is power. We are a group who have either been through it ourselves, or helped a loved one through the treatments and options.

Whenever you have questions there will probably be someone here who can answer them for you. If you need to vent, we have ears for that too.

You have come to a good place.

we care.

Cindi o'h

I logged onto my computer this afternoon and was overwhelmed with the words of support and encouragement that all of you have provided! There are so many out there beating the odds so maybe my Dad will too!

I am taking him to his chemo treatment on Monday. Keep praying that he will be able to tolerate the chemo. He has had one chemo treatment so far and is just feeling tired.

Welcome Christy:

I am sorry your dad has to deal with this and that you have to deal with it as his daughter. Having radiation to shrink the tumor is a good plan.

It is still relatively small, though and maybe it could be killed altogether. I think your dad should ask about targeted radiation such as image guided radiation or cyberknife to kill the tumor.

These procedures save healthy lung tissue from complications of conventional radiation like esophagitis and pneumonitis. Cyberknife is the most accurate.

then do chemo..Tell your dad to ask about it. These kinds of treatments are available at major cancer centers.

http://www.cyberknifesupport.org/forum/default.aspx?c=4

http://www.elekta.com/healthcareinterna ... on_therapy

Don M

Welcome Christy, I am kind of new here also, but glad I am here. The people here have given me a lot of support and hope. I am sure it will be the same for you. I am half way through my treatments and with god's help, I hope my tumor will have shrunk enough for surgery. Having a good spirit and attitude is very important. God Bless and keep us posted.

I too have had chemo and radiation at the same time.my tumor shrunk 50%.now im getting aggressive chemo,Last one on Monday.I know your Dad is scared I was too but it wont be as bad as he thinks.it is doable.I wish him the best,Hugs and prayers for you and your Dad.

Marie

Welcome Christy,

Well, it is Monday and you have already taken, or are getting ready to take, your Dad to chemotherapy. I am hopeful he will tolerate it well. I, too, was a stage 3........3B actually. I received chemo and radiation and was then a candidate for surgery. So you cannot tell where this tx may lead. I will be looking for updates and keep track of your Dad's progress.

Kasey

I extend a welcome too.

Everyone here knows the road your now on. Its a long hard journey. But never give up hope. Lung cancer can be controlled. By you saying stage 3a i see its NSCLC and there are many 3a and 3b and even stage 4 survivors here.

There are nutritional things your dad can eat and drink to help with the effects of chemo and radiation.

A supportive family and positive attitude help too.

I know all too well the fear your feeling. I have fealt it with mom when she was diagonosed and then 9 months later when my dad was diagonosed.

Chemo can and does work, so always have hope.

After the chemo and radiation it might be possible to have surgery. I would ask the oncologist and radiation onc about this because if there is too much radiation or chemo surgery will not be possible.

Even if it is close to the heart, there *might* be a surgeon that could do surgery. You will just have to ask enough Drs to find one capable of doing the resection.

Make sure you find the best doctors available.

Welcome Christy,

I know your concern and your worry very well. I don't think anyone could have been more afraid than I was. In January of 2005 I also was diagnosed Stage 3A with two affected lymph nodes in my chest and a tumor in my upper right lobe. I had daily radiation for 6 weeks with weekly chemo (carbo/taxol). At the end of the 6 weeks the CT scan showed that the tumor had all but disappeared. I had surgery and had my upper right lobe removed, 20 lymph nodes and one rib bone. After surgery on July 1, 2005 I had two more chemo sessions. At the end of August I was back at work teaching high school. I just had got the results of my last CT chest and brain scan today. They show NED=No Sign of Disease. God Is Good!!!