need to hear from survivors of stage IIIB

Guest macjanice

Guest macjanice

My husband(Ed) was diagnosed with Stage III undifferentiaated adenocarcinoma this week. Please reply with encouraging news that I can share with him. He is unsure of chemo. I think that he will do better when he hears that people really to beat this. Thanks for your help. My prayers are with all. Janice

Hello and welcome to our family! Everyone here will get you support and encouragement and a reason for HOPE!!!

I was diagnosed with IIIA in January -- I've had surgery, chemo and radiation. I had a PET scan done a few weeks ago which came back clean and cancer free (thank the Lord above!!!)

I also have a "phone buddy" through ALCASE (which is a wonderful organization for support). She was diagnosed a IIIB in 1998. After surgery, chemo and radiation, she has been cancer-free for 5 years. She is a wonderfully compasionate woman and I feel positive and hopeful each time I talk to her!

This monster can be beaten into submission with the proper treatment, keeping your body in tip top shape through nutrition, and LOTS OF PRAYERS!!! :D

My brother has stage IIIB adenocarcinoma too. He breezed through the chemo. No hair loss or nauseaness. The improvements that have been made with drugs has changed dramatically with each year. He was very tired but slept most of the time. He got it every three weeks from May to July (4 in total).

He is feeling FANTASTIC at the moment - I would really encourage him to think about it - especially if he is fit and otherwise healthy.

Let me know what you both decide.

Take care,

Sally

My Mom was diagnosed in August 2002 with Adenocarcinoma, Stage IIIB. In addition to the primary tumor, she had “satellite” tumors in the lung, and mediastinal node involvement. She had Chemo with Taxol and Carboplatin and 36 radiation treatments concurrently. She has been in full remission for almost a year now. No signs of cancer! :D

There is hope. Take care and God Bless you both.

KerryToo

Even though my mom is just fresh out of surgery (by a few hours) and I don't have a whole lot of experience to draw on, I will share what I have. When my mom started chemo, she was real sick. Once they got her meds worked out (about 2 rounds), she felt pretty good. We still went shopping and tooling around like always. There are so many things out there now, that people don't have to suffer.

When I first read the literature, I thought I should just pick out a casket. Numbers say one thing, but God and people have their own plan that may be exempt from the statistics! I can't tell you how things will work out; no one can. I can tell you, however, that I am grateful for every extra day.

You know, when my mom was first diagnosed, I had nightmares that I was killed in a car accident on the way to work. I thought that would be true irony. My mom has cancer, but I die first. That's the deal; we just don't know.

I don't know if any of this will make you feel better or not, but just know that everyone (I didn't believe everyone when they said it (family, friends, coworker, store keepers, email buddies)) is praying.

Con Dios (with God in Spainish)

I am almost through with my first full cycle of chemo. My protocol is cisplatin/gemzar on week 1, gemzar only on week 2 and 3, and then a week off. We will do this 3-4 times. I had blood counts too low the other day to get my last gemzar of the month, so I have to try again next week. Guess you have to be ready to roll with the punches, but as far as sickness goes, I had mild flu-like symptoms the first weekend, and nothing the second weekend. I also have not lost my hair and am told I will not with these two drugs. It sure isn't pleasant, but it's not so terrible either. I just try and think of all those drugs flowing around my system destroying anything bad that may be in there and I can handle it very well. I also think that during chemo you should get extra rest, but I also work full time and really haven't missed much work over this either. Good luck, my thoughts are with you....