does anyone else think every pain is cancer?( new update!!!!

shelliemacs

I was told by my doctor that I am paranoid about getting cancer.

Mom, Dad, my sister all were dx'd with cancer. I am paranoid still to this day that every ache, pain, pimple, scratch, wart, age spot, freckle is now cancer.

My doctor says I still need anti-anxiety meds but I have been off them for a while now. I don't want to live medicated for the next 50 years until I go home.

does anyone else who was either a care taker or survivor dwell in the "this must be cancer" world?

I know I can't prevent getting any cancer of any type. I just don't want to wish it upon myself by being paranoid about it.

still crazy 3 years later.....

I can't say that I dwell in the "it must be cancer world" full time but as a survivor it crosses my mind.

It's certainly getting better the farther away from dx I am but from other people I know who are also cancer survivors it seems to be a pretty common affliction.

I can't speak for caregivers as I was young when cancer first struck my family and was therefore still 'invincible'!

Maybe you just need the meds for a while longer so that your emotions can properly heal.

Take care

Geri

Shelly,

Cancer leaves us all prisoners. It devastates EVERYONE in its wake!!!!! I am sorry you live with this fear.....that is one more way that cancer wins with us.........and I don't know what to do about it, ya know. You have lived through so much with this disease, Shelly. I don't know have any suggestions to make it easier for you. Just know that many of us are dealing with this monster in our own ways, and knowing we are in it together here...............well, that somehow makes it easier to bear somehow. Just be vigilant about your own health and advocate when you feel you need to. Meds may help..........but personally I hate to be medicated too.

I am thinking of you and sending my very best vibes for some peace of mind.

Kasey

Shelly....I can definitely relate and sympathize. I recently twisted or turned the wrong way and seemed to have pulled a muscle in the area where my right lung is. It really hurt a lot when I would lie down at night. As soon as I felt the pain, my mind would start to wander. I would recall all of the statements my family doctor made to me about being affected by second hand smoke and how he wanted to keep an eye on me after "what happened to Dennis." I thought I probably should go to the doctor but couldn't bring myself to do so.

You're not crazy! I tend to make a doctor appointment and get in right away when I have something wrong. My doctor told me one day that it is perfectly normal to do that (be paranoid). He said, "It's because you know what can happen so you tend to think its something bad because of what you've been through." So we're all normal :lol:

Rochelle

Ok, I just said in another post I won't list my fears, but since it is brought up agian and others have fears, I will share too.

I think EVERYTHING is cancer. It is TERRIBLE. Recently:

1. Had spine MRI b/c of constant tingling (it was normal except showed swollen cervical lymph nodes, had to have my mom's oncologist look at the film)

2. Going to dentist tomorrow b/c I feel with my tongue a litlte pin head sensation inside my cheek on one side, worried about oral cancer.

3. I have a history of migraines, wonder if each one is a tumor

4. Get short of breath, wonder if it is cacner

5. Had a pain in my foot. WOndered if it was a broken bone from lymphoma

6. Brian sweated at night, surely that can't be normal, was worried about lymphoma. I now make him weigh himself all the time. He needs to lose weight, but not too much at once b/c I will worry

7. My back hurt from exercise bike, worried it was cancer.

8. Brian was tired (he gets up at 5am), I was worried

It is just a constant for me, I wish I could stop this obsessing. I really do.

I have been doing volunteer work with cancer

patients since 1974, never got worried about

having it.

Got bc in 1999, still getting tests three times

a year for it.

Mike got lc and died in 2003.

Got thyroid cancer 2004, not treated, just checking

on it three times a year.

Still I don't worry about cancer, I already have

it, but all the other sickness I have drive me

crazy.

So I think we all worry in our life.

Jackie

Jackie

Andrea:

You crack me up there woman. I thought I was the only one crazy. Every time I crack my knucles, I'm thinking I have bone cancer. Cancer everything.

Cancer all over, you open the T.V. cancer news, you call an old friend they're relative or friend dying of cancer. I think I'm next in line with you in the paranoia dept. Sometimes I'm thinking of asking my husbands onc to give me a preventive chemo and don't bother doing any kind of scanning. I don't want to know; just for the hell of it, shot me up with that IV and perhaps the monster cannot enter here.

I think I really am crazy :lol:

God bless us all.

Malou

I never used to worry about cancer at all. Most of the time even after I was diagnosed with later stage lung cancer no worrying. (I do like the lexapro, that is a Godsend!) hmph hmmm.. clearing throat....Andrea!

What good is worrying going to do? Nothing. Concern, yes. Follow through with a plan, good going..worry? Waste of time.

Five or more docs told me to get this damn breast checked. I say...screw you all! It is not cancer. They are over-reacting. Me? No worries. I only went to see the breast surgeon to get them off my backs and was worried one day (the day before the app't and day of). After that, no worries. She said, "NO", and that means no. Even though the onc. doesn't believe it, I believe it and that is all that matters.

Why worry? It is what it is (or most of the time IS'NT).

Now let's hit the pub, and get out of this worry pot. K?

love,

Cindi o'h

(let's not die while we are still living, Okay?)

Shelly,

Slide on over, girl, this damn boat is getting pretty full! I'm right here beside you, wanna hand me an oar?

I think we are all hyper-sensitive. I refer to it as being hyperchondriac.

Guess what? I'm not going to tell you you're paranoid. I don't think you are. I think that the pair of moms and dads you have lost and your sister being diagnosed gives you the "get-out-of-the-looney-bin-free" card! Keep getting it all checked out, after all, it IS YOUR LIFE!

xxoo,

Becky

Hi Shelly, I used to feel the same way but as time wore on I regained more and more confidence in my body. Also Hebrews chapter 2 may help to understand that Jesus died to take away our fear,

14Since the children have flesh and blood, he too shared in their humanity so that by his death he might destroy him who holds the power of death—that is, the devil— 15and free those who all their lives were held in slavery by their fear of death.

Hope this helps, Barb

Boy am I happy to see all your comments...I thought I was a nut case! I've just now finished up my treatment and am now in the "watch and wait" mode and I think every little thing is the cancer growing wild everywhere! At present, when I bend my head down to look at the floor, my entire lower body tingles...I just know it's something bad! Worth calling the doc?? Not sure! Just in my head?? Not sure of that either :)

I certainly do get scared. Everything seems magnified now that I have had cancer. I had a cough and I came to this website to see if anyone else had had a cough. Well I thought they are okay so I will be too. I was. This website is great for the anxiety attacks that I have from time to time. People understand here and do not tell you to forget about it or that you are nuts.

Whew. So I am not looney. Sweeettt.

what started this post was the other night I ws laying in bed and I had an itch. I scratched it and hit bump that literally was the size of a pin head but in my mind it was a golf ball under my skin and I sat straight up in bed and said to myself Its a cancer lump from skin cancer or something. Even though I am NEVER in the sun and this was on my collar bone and I am absolutely the pailest person in the state of NY ever. I put casper the ghost to shame. I scare small children with how transparent my skin is.

so as Becky (Snowflake) says this boat is getting full, but I can always rent a bigger boat.

I think you will need a bigger boat. I was so happy to read this post. I too thought I was crazy, but after what we all went through with a loved one its no wonder we worry. I have to get my husband to read this thread. He thinks I'm nuts about cancer. His Dad died of cancer 9 years ago, but he never worries. Must be a woman thing.

Denise

I will join the boat for one week only. I am having a colonoscopy on Monday. Had one 3 years ago and they found one (just one) polyp, so I had to reschedule for one now. So of course I am a little nudgy. Now everything I have heard or read says that polyps take 10 years to become cancerous, but with my luck ............ But, then again, with all you have to do to prep for this, I can't imagine there would be any cell left in your body.

My basic philosphy is that if I have a sympton I will not worry about it unless the symptom gets to be 24 hours old. Hope I don't use this rule if I have a heart attack symtom.

Okay :? ................I'm climbin' in this boat too AND I'm bringing Fred...........but he's coming kicking and screaming!!!! If anyone here is a nutcase ~ well ~ nice being in such GREAT company!!!! Hope the boat is more along the lines of a 'cruise ship'.........now THAT could get me to put some of these fears aside for a little while :lol: !

Love to all you NUTS,

Kasey

So....have we filled up an oceanliner yet? :lol:

It's normal -- we just get much more in tune with our body and what it's up to with our backgrounds. Big thing is not to let the fear and worry overtake us. Plus, I don't know why those doctors would bolt at the hypocondriac (sp?) thing -- the whole world says to go see your doctor for every little nit anyway!

Linda

Andrea, your post is hilarious!!! You remind me of me. Both parents had cancer at the same time, and went through grueling treatments for a year. It was so mentally and emotionally challenging to me, I am now consumed with the "C" word. (especially since I am already a stark raving hypochondriac)!

I too think I have had every cancer there is.

Breast, Lung, Colon, Gallbladder, Bone, Brain, Liver, Ovarian, Uterine, etc. My husband teases me. If I stub my toe, or something hurts, or whatever, he makes up a name of a cancer. Like, Toe cancer, or Cancer of the Hair Follicle Shaft, or Cancer of the Eyelash. He takes my mind off it, and helps me realize I am being really silly. But, like all of you, I have a keen sense of something off or akilter, and if I ever do get cancer, I will know before I even go to the doctor.

I read this first thing this morning, replied and went about my business.

On my way to meet a friend for lunch I realised that I had a sore spot on my rib, a few inches below my bra. I forgot all about it while I was enjoying my visit but.........on my way home I again felt this achey spot and kept rubbing it.

I didn't remember banging into anything and I wasn't having any extra pain when breathing so I knew it's not in my lung.

In my 10 minute drive home I'd diagnosed a met on my rib, I'd check when I got home to see if there was a bruise........no mark so it had to be a met on my rib!!!!!!!!

I have just given myself a talking to........how stupid can I be that I'm battling a tumor on my rib when in all probability I pulled a muscle when I was unloading groceries from my trunk this morning.

I have given myself the 'Twit of the week" award in the over-active imagination department, it seems I'm not as far from the "it must be cancer world" as I thought!

Geri

The dentist was kind to me, said what I felt in my mouth was normal :) I asked her if others are that crazy, she said not that many b/c most don't know the dangers of oral cancer or to look for it. She said I was smart to come in if I am concerned. Of course she is a classy lady and I expected no less :)

If cabins go by size of neurosis, I'll need a big one, so I guess I'll have to go into ownership of it. We need a good name ;)

The "sad" thing, we are now considering surrogacy, by the time I finish spending so much money on trying to have a baby, I could have really bought us a boat to sail our troubles away! :lol:

Okay Shelly, I need a large cabin with a balcony, don't want to feel cramped in my neurosis - after all I do have a sore rib.

Dinner with Captain Stubing is fine but not if that dopey doc is there or his whiney daughter for that matter!

Good to laugh at our insecurities isn't it?

Yours in paranoia,

Geri

You guys are the best ( NUTS ) -years ago after finishing treatment for cervical cancer - the JOKE at home was whever mom hurts it MUST BE CANCER . MY shoulder hurt one day from something then the kids began the shoulder cancer .. this is my life every day since 1990. It helps because we can laugh about how paranoid we are. My son came in to my room one day and said get dressed - we're going out - out - out where ?? to the funny bone comedy club. He said it's been too long since I've seen you laugh mom. Of course I cried but we had a ball - and IT WAS FUN TO LAUGH AGAIN !! We must laugh !! at ourselvesothers anything just LAUGH !! IT HELPS SO MUCH TO BE ABLE TO LAUGH. IT doesn't even have to be funny. My kids laughed so hard one day my brother in law shot peas out of his nose !!! ( that WAS funny ) BET IT HURT THOUGH . there's that cancer thing again - wonder if he got checked for nose cancer ?? My whole family is like this - there is no one that can do anything serious- it always becomes a joke or at least a funny story.

Thanks guys =just thinking of the peas out of the nose =brightened my day !!

sue