Anyone Heard of C-diff Messing With Blood Sugar Levels?

Linda661

I guess this is the best place to post this question since it's general LC issues:

Mom definitely still has C-diff (results back today), but she is beginning to run super low blood sugars (like 45 this am). Never seen it that low -- in fact, all along, it's been running high enough that there is a standing order for insulin (as needed). She is not receiving any new med. or had a dosage change that she hasn't had before in this process either.

And....for those who have followed the details of mom in nsclc forum over the last day or two, the Flagyl is beginning to work on the "runs" issue (have a bit more improvement to go there, but things are looking up so far).

The sugar thing is new.

Linda

Yea, Linda, for the improvement with the 'runs' issue and the Flagyl. I have NO idea about your concern about C-diff. In fact, I am not even sure what it is. When you have a chance, I sure would appreciate an explanation.

Anyhow, Linda, hope this is a sign of thigs improving for you and your dear Mom. That's my hope anyhow,

Kasey

Linda,

I apologize that I don't know the whole story. Had she been on iv-drips that just stopped? When my mom was in the hospital, those drips made her sugar go really high and she also was on insulin orders. Also the IV drip with the chemo for nausea had sugar in it which made things go high. Things got better after the drip. She had to reduce insulin.

Wow, turn your back for 2 minutes after a post.....love this place for that! C-diff is a condition where bad bacteria set up shop and get overgrown in the intestines (C-diff is shorthand for the bug: Clostridium Difficile) -- occurs as a side effect from chemo, possibly from decreased immune system conditions, but as I understand it, chemo is basically high-powered hits of antibiotics to the system and antibiotics themselves mess with your intestinal flora bad. Nasty business there and can be hard to correct (i.e. apparently can take at least a couple of rounds of antibiotics to get it outta there -- tummy cramping, "runs," general feeling of just plain awfulness, some pill meds just plain aren't broken down and digested [calcium tabs in mom's case]). She's eating the same amounts and kinds of foods she has been for over a week now, so I sort of discounted diet as a factor in the low sugar levels, unless it's just catching up with her now.

For general info. on C-diff: www.cdiffsupport.com/aboutcdiff.html has the basics for anyone wondering about this condition.

Andrea, mom hasn't been on IVs lately nor needed IV fluids yet so an artificially-induced overconsumption of fluids aren't affecting the sugar levels. Her standing insulin order is from some other meds she has been on since the git-go. P.S. girl, I agree about what a songwriter you are in Shelly's love boat thread (lol...it is great!).

Linda

I can' t find anything to help yet. First thought was meds but you say unchanged. Is mom eating anything yet?What IVs are they giving her? MEds? Can't find any info on Low blood sugar and Colitis Difficile. Saying Prayers for recovery

Try this For a start. Best I can Find Right now

http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/hypoglycemia/

Put this Link Into favorites Excellent Resource for info

http://www.omnimedicalsearch.com/

Geez RandyW, you're fast! No IVs in the picture yet. Mom is eating yogurt, ice cream, breakfast stuff (like eggs, pancakes, dry toast), some foods like partial consumption of mashed potatoes or bananas, drinking juices, shakes, and water. Diet has been this way for a bit now before the sugar issue emerged (these are things she ate anyway, except for the yogurt, before the C-diff....but she used to eat more regular diet stuff too...meats, pasta, fruits/veggies, etc.). Mom doesn't have "diabetes" per se: she's got drug-induced diabetes.....that's where the as-needed insulin entered the picture when she was first dx'd in December (14 new meds entered her life at that point ... still there, no changes in dosages or anything). The newer meds, like Lomotil and Flagyl she has had before and her sugar levels have been monitored daily for long enough with no problem, that I just don't expect meds to explain it.

I'll check out your links to see if anything clicks there.

Linda

Randy: interesting info. in the links about hypoglycemia....you know, she's not fasting, but she is showing signs of plain not digesting stuff (like the pills I mentioned earlier)....suppose she's not digesting her foods, even though she's eating and drinking OK? That would be a C-diff complication? Oh goodness, I hope not......things have been "moving right through her" for a bit now; only today, do we have any sign of improvement there with the Flagyl back in the picture as of Tuesday -- also have a standby order for something else (don't remember the name, just made that happen about 2 hours ago) to stop the runs if Flagyl doesn't continue to work for her (weekend coming, need to be ready, she's miserable) -- I can't let this continue....gone on too long.

Linda

Lori: good to see you gal! Hope your mom is still doing OK.....decadron entered mom's life during chemo IV sessions only (10-11 sessions of those so far, with a few weeks worth of breaks in the process).....meds-induced diabetes was determined before chemo ever started. Decadron for mom is not continued orally, or otherwise, on a daily basis, if that helps.

Linda

Got a lot of great info. from your link, Jackie -- includes what kind of course of action should be taken, even during multiple relapses....cool.

Any chance you could post or PM me on the kinds of things you ate/drank that set the best on the tummy and minimized the cramping and discomfort for you (if there is such a thing to this?); also, how you consumed them -- for example, did you have small amounts of something frequently during the day or did you space things out to give your system a rest (and that made you more comfortable)? Mom is consuming small amounts often, but she never seems to get much of a break from the cramping pains.

Thanks so much,

Linda

• 15 years later...

Omg, my 12 yr old has had to call 911 twice in 2 weeks for my low glucose! I began shaking uncontrollably and told my daughter, I needed to lay down before I fall. My reading was 70 but my glucose usually runs 120 or so. I'm diabetic.  A 45 blood glucose reading is extremely low and dangerous. Is your Mom a diabetic? Please keep a close eye on her levels because mine are fluctuating throughout the day.

I just finished Dificid on Sunday and I feel worse.  The shaking keeps happening.  Last night the ambulance was called and my reading was 66, I was having very hard shaking and quivering. 

I've never experienced this before until the C Diff. So, yes I believe that CDiff lowers the blood glucose. 

I hope your Mom feels better soon and thank you so much for sharing.

Cali, this post is from 2006 and Linda hasn't posted since 2008, so I doubt she'll see this.

You might want to introduce yourself on the new members forum, so we can be of maximum help to you.