Need Advice - Dad coming home from hospital

Guest LittleBlueWorld

Guest LittleBlueWorld

Hi,

I am sort of new here - this is only my second post.

My dad was diagnosed with stage 3 Lung Cancer this week, he has been in the hospital for 6 days and may be coming home tomorrow. I do not live with him, but my mom does and she is very nervous about him coming home. He has to be on oxygen 24/7 and is very weak. My sister is staying with them until Monday and I live right next door, but my mom is worried she will be overwhelmed.

I just don't know what to tell her. She has been trying to be strong but I think she is starting to "break". She has had some mental health issues in the past and she is concerned this experience could "top her over the edge". She has been talking to her doctor, but is still scared. And she feels bad that she sort of doesn't want my dad home yet - he obviously really wants to be home.

We also found out today that they think he only has about a year left.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Amy

Amy,

Your mom's reaction is perfectly normal. This is an absolutely abnormal situation and it is no wonder that she would feel put out. You may want to suggest to her that she investigates having in-home visits by a nurse - look them up in the Yellow Pages. These visits are usually covered by the insurance companies. The same is true for in-home visits by a physical therapist. I had both come to my home upon my return from the hospital. They were true God sends since I could not really leave my house - because like your father, I was tethered to my oxygen 24x7. Rally your friends, neighbors, church members to assist with meals and household chores to relieve the pressure on your mother. You'd be surprised at how many people will respond to your plea. I had to tell my friends and family to please stop coming over because the response was so overwhelming and I tired so easily. The people in my life reached out to me in so many ways that it brought tears to my eyes. You don't have to do this alone. By all means, keep posting and reaching out to us. God bless.

Guest LittleBlueWorld

Hi,

Well, I just found out that my dad is being released today into a transitional facility. I don't know all of the details - but I am sure it is taking a load off of my mom. I feel bad that my dad doesn't get to come home yet - but I think it is the best thing for now.

Amy

My wife is recovering from double pneumonia. They moved her from the regular hospital to a rehab hospital so she could regain her strength and stamina. I am grateful there is an interim place like that for her. I would dearly love to have her home, but I would not have been able to take care of her right out of the hospital. Be patient with the process. Don