Getting to know you - April 21

Ann

Actually there were two things she taught me that I have learned were very right. Always tell the truth if you don't it will catch up with you sooner or later. She also taught me that when you work for someone you have a responsibility to be there on time and give them 8 hours of work for 8 hours of pay. I have been very fortunate because my children and grandchildren all have those same work ethics.

My mom always told me to follow my first instinct about right and wrong. She said I had been raised with the right things instilled in me and I ever questioned a decision, the right choice would probably be the right one. I have passed that on to my three boys and it seems to still be working. I try and remember that if I have an important decision to make.

Mama always said to us as we left the house "Be sweet, pretty, good and nice and behave yourself.". I still hear it even now as I go somewhere and it pretty much sums up how to get along well in life.

I also think one of the most wise things she did was to NOT give us a curfew. She told us to use our own judgement. And we knew that we had better use her's if we wanted to keep on using our's!

My mother would always say to me don't talk about it do it, talk is cheap--taught me action speaks louder then words.

She taught me to be honest, kind, fair, work hard, be responsible for my actions. That nothing is free in life and no one owes anyone anything--have to earn it.

Through her example more than her words, Mom has taught me that, while you cannot always control what happens to you in your life, you can control your reaction to it.

I tell my kids (and students) this all the time. I have no idea if they listen, though. :lol:

:) Kelly