Avastin

Don Wood

Avastin -- that's the next thing we will try. Anyone have info or experience with avastin? The onc called today, after I had made an appointment for Thursday, and said he'd like to see us this afternoon. That's always ominous! So we trekked on down there.

He went over the PET scan in more detail. Her liver tumor is still sitting there about the same size. She has multiple new bone mets and a met in her right lung (she has had that before). None or large or giving her any trouble.

He proposed that we try Avastin, along with low dose carboplatin/taxol in 3-week cycles, starting this Friday. The second cycle will be postponed so we can go to our grandson's high school graduation on May 20th. Her first chemo was carboplatin/taxotere, so we are hoping this will not be too hard on her. Will keep you posted as we progress. Don

Will say prayers For You and Lucie in this new round. Do not have any personal experience with avastin. That would have been next for us. Have heard good things though. Prayers as always

Hi Don,

I've been on Avastin for almost a year now. I haven't had any side effects from it at all. I took it every 3 weeks with my chemo to start for 6 months and have taken it once a month since then.

Wishing Lucy so much good luck with this.

Joan

P.S. my insurance Blue/Cross is covering the cost. also, United Healthcare covered it last year.

Hi Don! Your support and strenght to this board is unbelievalbe. I am one of your and Lucie's biggest fans. In terms of AVASTIN, as I've mentioned in other posts, my friend Marc had no success whatsoever with Chemo and Rad until they tried Avastin. (He heard about it from me and my knowledge of people on this board!) He is and has been totally stable since July( on one treatment) on Avastin, and hasn't even had to take avastin since July. His cancer (Adenocarcinoma stage IIIB) is totally stable/dormant!!!!! So, I am a HUGE fan of Avastin! My thoughts are with you. Also - no side effects! Please reply with any questions/concerns you may have. His doc is Dr. Natale at Cedars-Sinai, Los ANgeles. Good Luck!!!!

Hi Don,

I must admit, I'm happy to hear that Lucie is going to try Avastin next.

My Mom started the Avastin/Taxotere combo. After the drastic results, my Mom's oncologist decided to take her off the Taxotere and only give the Avastin.

If I remember correctly she only took three treatments of the combo.

She is now receiving the Avastin only in three week cycles.

It pretty much knocks her off her feet for about a week. But, no other side effects to really speak of.

Please let Lucie know that I am praying for great success with this new combo.

Warm Hugs,

Melinda

There have been lots of great results with avastin, Don and Lucie. Praying Lucie will receive the same. Sorry, though you have yet another obstacle to overcome. But as always, you guys will most certainly prevail!

Love to you both,

Kasey