Tarceva & Neurontin

antoinettev3

Anyone taking these two drugs together?

My oncologist's office felt there should be no problem taking the two but recommended I speak with my pharmacist. I decided to just call Genentech figuring I'd get it straight from the horse's mouth.

Unfortunately they weren't terribly helpful and suggested that I speak to my pharamacist as well. Their reasoning being that since they did not specifically test for interactions between Neurontin and Tarceva they could not say if there would be a problem or not. They did test other anti-convulsants but not this one.

Now, I may be way off base here but wouldn't you think that if the manufacturer of the medication cannot say, one way or another, if it is safe to take these two pills, that my local pharamacist won't have a clue either? I mean where does the PDR get it's information about the drugs they list?

Also, not all pharmacists are created equal. What if the one at my local drug store graduated at the bottom of his class? Am I to trust the "expertise" of this professional without knowing his background?

Sorry to go off on a rant over a simple question. I had a rough night and I guess I'm still cranky. :?

I'd appreciate any info.

Thanks,

Antoinette

Anyone taking these two drugs together?

My oncologist's office felt there should be no problem taking the two but recommended I speak with my pharmacist. I decided to just call Genentech figuring I'd get it straight from the horse's mouth.

Unfortunately they weren't terribly helpful and suggested that I speak to my pharamacist as well. Their reasoning being that since they did not specifically test for interactions between Neurontin and Tarceva they could not say if there would be a problem or not. They did test other anti-convulsants but not this one.

Now, I may be way off base here but wouldn't you think that if the manufacturer of the medication cannot say, one way or another, if it is safe to take these two pills, that my local pharamacist won't have a clue either? I mean where does the PDR get it's information about the drugs they list?

Also, not all pharmacists are created equal. What if the one at my local drug store graduated at the bottom of his class? Am I to trust the "expertise" of this professional without knowing his background?

Sorry to go off on a rant over a simple question. I had a rough night and I guess I'm still cranky. :?

I'd appreciate any info.

Thanks,

Antoinette

A :

As I've recommended in other posts, you have to ask the right pharmacist. When it comes to more complicated clinical questions you should ask to speak with the hospital's clinical pharmacist. He or she is the indepth drug expert. For basic product info, pricing, etc. re: outpatient meds any retail pharmacist is fine. For the same type of inpatient info ask a hospital pharmacist.

B

Hello.

Many colleges of pharmacy have moved on to graduating PharmD's only. ie. Doctors of Pharmacy. It is a more indepth program and most of the graduates will work in the hospital or clinical setting. However, here at the UofM, the pharmacy program has been eliminated and only the PharmD program exists, therefore, the PharmD's are "reduced" to working in the dispensing pharmacies.

The drug manufacturer is correct in telling you what they did if their drug was not formally tested with the neurontin.

Good luck finding an answer to your question. I wonder too how many drug interactions that I have. I take so many medications, there are bound to some interfacings among them.

Cindi o'h

Cindy o'h,

Thanks for the info. I was not aware of the shift to the PharmD program. Makes me feel a bit more confident. I will inquire as to the education of my local pharmacist.

God Bless

Antoinette

Rich,

Thanks for reminding me of that link. I forgot about that source even though I have it bookmarked in my list of favorites.

I checked all the drugs I'm taking (mostly OTC) and according to the site there is no interaction w/ my combo of drugs.

On a side note, how long were you on Tarceva before the side effects started showing up?

I've been holding off taking it for a few days because I have a couple of important meetings and appts. scheduled for this week and didn't want to have any problems or "interruptions" (if you know what I mean :shock: ).

Thanks in advance.

God Bless.

Antoinette

Hi Antoinette, Yes I know what you mean. :lol: It took about a week or two for me for the side effects to show up. The diarrhea I could not get rid of regardless of what I took so they dropped it from 150MG to 100MG and that cleared it up. The rash lasted about 2 or 3 months and that just went away. Also avoid Grapefruit and grapefruit juice while on Tarceva. Hope this helps. Prayers for the best. Rich