Dad dx with stage iv adencar with mets to liver, lymph nodes

Tanya

This is my first post on this site. I have found all of the stories very informative and was hoping to hear from anyone who is dealing with the same or a very similar diagnosis. My father is only 46 years old and I am having a hard time accepting his fate. I keep thinking that the doctors have maybe misdiagnosed him.

Also, if anyone has done any alternative therapies (Mexico etc.), it would be great to hear from you.

Thanks. Great site!!

:D

I have stage IIIA adenocarcinoma, and I am 30 years old. There are great people here, plenty who have stage IV and are surviving it all. Unfortunately, cancer doesn't care how old you are, but I like to tell myself that being young is an advantage when it comes to getting through this. Hang in there and keep us posted on your dad.

Becky

Tanya,

Don't give up on your Dad. I know and have known several people with stage IV NSCLC - some have passed on but not before living several years - others are still with us. Case in point: on the first Wednesday of every month, Allan and I attend a lung cancer support group meeting in the Lombardi Cancer Center at Georgetown University Hospital. Allan was diagnosed before me, back in 1997, with stage IV disease. He had full blown metastasis with tumors in the brain. He underwent months of chemo, radiation (including whole brain radiation), right sided thoracotomy, lobectomy, and 3 consecutive brain surgeries. Allan is still with us today - it's been 6+ years. His biggest concern (gripe) today is that he can't play tennis (He never played tennis before - go figure!). I am nearly your Dad's age and have survived 2 bouts of lung cancer, acute respiratory distress syndrome, 8 collapsed lungs (and 8 chest tubes), 9 broken ribs, 2 thoracotomies, 2 lobectomies, 1 tracheostomy, 6 weeks in the ICU, 3 weeks in a coma, hundreds of doses of morphine, blood transfusions, two marriages, 5 kids, and 3 major wars. Trust me when I say there is hope. Try and remember that it is always darkest before dawn - that to every cloud, there is a silver lining. God always open doors for everyone he closes - unfortunately, many of us stare in the wrong direction. God bless. ((((Be good to yourself and Hug yourself)))).

I follow simple guidelines - I eat lots of vegetables, fruits, whole grain, lean meats, etc. Get plenty of rest. Leave the stress to others better able to handle it. Exercise as I can. Laugh a lot. I don't worry - I trust that God is in charge and that his Will will be done. I adhere to the treatment regimen and get to all my appointments without fail. I do take multi-vitamins (Centrum).

Tanya,

Welcome to the site. I am very sorry about your father.

I know what you are feeling. When the love of my life, my 31 year old, incredibly loving and funny spouse was diagnosed, I kept thinking that each doctor's appointment would result in the doctor coming in to inform us that there was a mistake, it was just pneumonia. I prayed and dreamt of that for over a month, it made sense to me, more sense than getting LC at such a young age.

But, eventually I had to come to accept his diagnosis, but that in no way means I am accepting his fate. I know my young strong man has the determination, will power and strength to fight and beat this monster. I am not going to "let him go gently into that good night." I want nothing in my life more than to spend all of it with him, and we are accepting no less.

That is what we have to fight with, HOPE.

I am praying for your father, and praying for you to have the strength peace, love and hope to get through this.

Carleen