Getting to know you- another one

Maryanne

This was asked to consumers on the news. Some had some interesting responses. So I was curious to know your input.

What are you giving up so you could afford the price of gasoline?

I have a company car and my company pays my gas so that does not effect me. We can use the company car for personal use, but we have to pay for the miles. In the long run it is worth paying for the miles. Joel works out of the house so he does not use his car too much. But it still sucks big time!

Maryanne :wink:

We did have to let go the butler, maid and gardener. :lol: We always bought cars (after the early seventies waiting in line for gas) taking in gas mileage. We get about 35 miles per gallon. We don't have the long distance drive to work anymore so that cuts it way down on the mileage and only the one car. So far it is manageable.

Good question, Maryanne.

I am definitely spending less at the grocery store because of the gas prices. Dick and I see to go everywhere on the Harley (except for work) and you sure can't fit too much into those saddlebags. I'm also learning to plan my trips wisely. No longer am I running out to pick up this or that but am combining trips.

Keith and I live in a far western suburb of Milwaukee. We both work about 30 miles from home (although Keith just started disability so its not an issue for him), For me I spend about $75 a week on gas.

We've stopped going out. But then again I can't say that we've stopped because of gas prices or because Keith's feeling poorly.

I don't put many miles on my car ~ under 35,000 and it's 3 years old ~ and my husband has a company vehicle so his diesel is paid for.

At the moment there's been no problem but I did put $44 worth in my car yesterday which was a first.

Geri

I used to buy gas and cigarettes at the convenience store. I quit smoking 5 months ago, so I am convinced they raised the price of gas to make sure I would still spend the same amount of money at each visit.

So far we haven't given up anything since our travel distances are relatively short and we get about 28 miles or so to the gallon. I did wince two days ago when I had to spend $45 for 3 cans of the least expensive unleaded so I could mow the yard for the next couple of weeks! I did decide not to do a second yard fertilizer application this spring to hopefully not encourage any more grass growth than necessary.

Now, just wait until I have to fill the diesel cans for my main farm tractor.....that stuff is the most expensive around here at $3.20 per gallon: anyone remember when diesel engines were pushed for cars during the aftermath of the "energy crisis?" One of the big ploys was how cheap that fuel was too; and it was the least expensive at the time -- oh well..... :?

Linda

What are you giving up so you could afford the price of gasoline?

Driving :lol: Seriously, with 5 kids, our budget was already stretched as far as it would go before the hikes. It's hurting us & so many others I know. In one Tennessee county, they are closing school on Mondays & Fridays because the cost of gas for the buses exceeded what the budget would allow.

I combine trip too....not as much gallavanting around as in the 'good old days' of a year ago. Not as many spur of the moment trips to see family 'just' 100 miles away.

How many tanks of gas will you be able to buy if we get the $100 one-time rebate? After what I paid to fill up the minivan today, I'm thinking maybe just two if it keeps going like this :P

:) Kelly

I changed jobs to a community that was closer, took a pay cut, and it has helped some, but we don't go see Dad as much and vacation this year will be spent at Holiday World, several days a month. (It's only ten minutes from my house; lots of rides and a water park)