Hospitalization for chemo?

Donna G

Dr. C called this afternoon with the biopsy result - which was small cell of intermediate variety. I don't know what the intermediate variety means. If anyone here does, please tell me. He wants Steve to be admitted to the hospital, overnight, while taking Cisplatin & Camptosar - 1 day every 3 weeks. Anyone here been hospitalized while receiving chemo and/or been given this particular combination? I just read some scary reports about the use of Camptosar. He wants to begin after Labor Day and the appointment at Sloan-Kettering isn't until September 15. On the other hand, we don't want to waste precious time, either.

I didn't take Camptosar, but my oncologsit put me in the hospital for three days each time I got Cisplatin and Etopiside becaue he said the Cisplatin is hard on your kidneys and he wanted my constantly hydrated. It was boring and I didn't sleep much, but I also had someone with really good anti-nausea drugs just a buzzer away, and the second round of chemo I took a lot of advantage of that.

Becky

• 1 month later...

mmm...Darrell also did these 2 chemo's .. They just hydrated an hour before and an hour after the cisplatin...Plus he was told to drink plenty of fluids...after going home.. I didn't know some were actually hospitalized for this...I just found this interesting.. Christy

Guest kate218

call sloane and tell them what the other dr wants to do. See if you have any connections. My brother was able to get my dad in sooner beacuse he spoke to the dr. at his corporation and he pulled some strings for us. See what you can do.

This whole thing sucks.

Kate

Guest kate218

Hi

CAmptosar is irinotecan. He was on that in the beginning and it literaly, almost killed him. His white cells were at 200.

Thanks for the info though.

What is the new radiation treatment in Texas again?

Kate