Maybe someone can help?

Beckie

Hi, I have posted before but my problem still continues. My mom is going on 1 month of not being huger. She isn;t sick to her stomach and is no pain. She just can't eat. Just right! Any way, she when in march for her 3 month check, she is still in remission. She was dx in aug of 2005 with small cell limited. she finished her treatment in feb the first few weeks. That included the prev. crainal rads. She was ok they took her off the steriods anf now this is what happens. She is having a little trouble breathing. I think it sounds like pneumonia. They did a cat scan on her last friday. My dad finally called and they said oh we are very sorry but we lost her results. They have been resent but still no answer. In church God told me (hope your not thinking oh she is crazy!) But he does talk to me sometimes not as offena s I would like though. He gave me the over whelming feeling that she is going to get better. He said give her to my I will fix her. Actually he just said "she will be fine". I just understand the rest. Has anyone else ever dealt with this type of side effects. Last Monday she went to her onc and he said everything looks fine as far as cancer. She is still in remission. I do have another question. In the begining my mom asked what this means and he said it is termial. Has anyone else been told that ? I just read where Don is cured. I am jumping for joy for him and his family but how do I get her there? I hope this makes sense. All I want to do is sleep and I need to good to bed. Thank you for all your help. I really need it. I love my mom, I can't even think about her not being with us. She is the glue in our structure. We all need her. I am very afraid. I appreciate all your responses. Even just understanding helps, ya know....

My M.O.

Name: Beckie, married a long time

to a man whom is truly my best friend

and has certainly proven himself through all of this,

I love him more than life, I am 33 years old, 3 children 2 girls ( I am gray) they are beautiful, 1 son who is the light of my life , a older sister who is also my very best friend, a grandmother (my moms mom) who, god bless her is going to be 90 this year and she is the queen of our family. Our rock and guidance, just an incredible, awesome woman that I am so blessed to say is mine. I have parents that are more in love today than the day they married ( 42 years ago). Have always been that way and I admire them so much. I truly believe they are the most respected and loving people in my life and my sister and I have been brought up with the cinderella complex (god bless my husband) we are princesses. I love my family more than anything and my thought was we were all going to be together forever, I also have nephews and neice's that are just as precious. Our family needs her, I just need god to see that. Pray he does. Thank you!

Hi Becky,

I want to start by saying how happy I am to hear your mom is in remission. That is wonderful. I am surprised that you were told she was terminal with limited small cell since it does have a higher curable rate. Unfortunately I think most of us here have heard that ugly word. They say that anyone who has LC that is not localized; and has any metastisis is considered terminal. I personally don't believe that, and I can even recall some cases where treatment has eliminated the metastisis and surgery was able to occur bringing about a complete cure. Remission is wonderful, and generally if remission remains without a recurrance for I think 3 years, then they will consider her cured. I will pray for your mom to hear those beautiful words.

As far as the the appetite thing, I would ask her doctor to give her a prescription for Megace. It is an appetite stimulator drug. My husband has a similar problem. He is hungry, but just can't eat. He takes a few bites and feels full. We are giving him Dexamethadone, and his eating has picked up. But that is a steroid, and if your mom was just weaned off steriods it probably isn't best to put her back on. It may be that her stomach has shrunk and she just can't eat as much. If so, she may have to eat more small meals instead of 3 regular sized ones. I guess if it were my mom, I'd ask about the megace.

I read your bio, and it sounds like we have similar lives. I too am married to the man of my dreams and am wildly madly in love. I can't imagine spending one minute of my life without his love to sustain me. I unfortunately don't have kids, but I have 2 sisters and a brother and 10 neices. We are all close and talk daily. I always said if we weren't family, we'd still be friends. My parents and childhood was like a story book, and I've always been blessed with happiness and goodness.

I have been blessed and I am thankful. You have also been greatly blessed. I too pray that these blessing can continue. It may be unfair that I have so much happiness and blessings, but I'm just not equiped or prepared to give up any of it.

I will be praying for you and mom, and sending you warm wishes and thoughts. If you ever want to talk, PM me or e-mail me. I can also send you my phone #s.

God Bless

Hello,

I am sorry to hear about your mom. She should be very proud of raising a daughter and family that loves her so dearly.

One thing that my doc suggests is to eat little bits every two hours instead of trying to eat a full lunch or dinner. Drinking Liquid supplements like Ensure and Boost can give her the calories and vitamins she is missing without eating.

I hope that your mom feels better soon.

Wendy

I agree with Carleen and Wendy. I am a big fan of the boost product. Still drink it today which is why I cant lose weight LOL. Make sure she is drinking lots of water and the small meals. Focus on what she likes the most to help weight and enlarge stomach. As far as terminal thing all of us are terminal even the doctor that told you that. Its a question how long we are here and only the Lord knows the answer to that and it would appear he is blessing you, your family, and your mom everyday.

God Bless

Don

And the same goes for me as Carleen say, send a pm and I will give me my number or you can leave yours.

Thank you all for your kind and wonderufl words. My mom got her dx today of (forgive the spelling), radiation pneumonitis? They said it is common and it just has to run it's course. No big deal. I can't believe they said that. Tell that to my poor mom who is still in bed, can eat and shakes because she has no srenght. She is getting liquid food? through her port. If you know anything about this I would appreciate insight. I also wanted to say Thank you for offering your time to me, by telling me I can talk to you any time makes me feel better. Once I get to a place where I have some time other than online time, I will take both of you up on that! Thanks again...

Beckie

Beckie,

Sending prayers to you and your mom. Yes,

I have had the Lord speak to me and has gotten me through so much. I cannot do anything for Him except love Him. He hears your prayers about your mom and He will handle everything. This is something that is bigger than we are. I know what you are saying, I talk to God every day.

Your mom will be fine. God hears our prayers...

God Bless, prayers and hugs,

Karen

Sounds like you come from a very whole and loving family. That is a lucky thing, for sure.

Radiation pneumonitis is no fun. It makes breathing very difficult. Prednisone helped my breathing. If hers gets so labored that she can't sleep from all of the coughing or congestion, then you might want to ask about the prednisone and/or some inhalers that would help with the restrictions.

Cindi o'h

Hi Beckie

I can relate to the loss of appetite thing. Like others have said, I find eating a lot of small meals throughout the day better than trying to force-feed myself a "normal" sized meal. Now that I've finished chemo, I'm hoping that my appetite will start to stabilize.

Lots of prayers going out to your mom and your whole family.

Trish

Hi Becky....gosh you are surrounded with so much love in your family...and that is so wonderful...just keep the faith and God will hear your prayers'...and yes I hear God speaking and talk to him ALL the time...some times he probably wants me to 'shut up ' for a while...LOL....How bout some ensure for you Mom or some good old fashion milk shakes till she get's her appetite back...

I know after my surgery...I couldn't eat if hell froze over and I talked to my surgeon about it..and he said...not to worry ..it would come back with a vengance and boy did it ever...ha

Prayers for your mom and all of you PamS.

Hi Beckie,

I just now saw your message...if your mom is still weak and not eating, I would call her doc and have him/her check her out.

My mom was really, really ill with radiation pneumonitis and ended up being in the hospital for 10 days.

Mom got so weak that we ended up taking her to the emergency room and her oxygen levels were so low that they admitted her.

She recovered and is doing wonderfully.

Beckie, I smiled reading your loving description of your family..we are blessed too, with a close loving family.

Prayers for your mom, Beckie

Libby