Mom's Results Sucked :(

I posted just a minute ago in the updates part...just the facts. But there's so much more to this for me.

Mom's results on her MRI today showed that where she'd previously "zapped" the original brain met with SRS, there is now an approximately 3" tumor. They've told her they COULD try the SRS again...but that there's not much hope that it would do any good. They've told her that her choices are to either do wbr for three months at twice the normal rads and have more memory issues (she has no memory of my daughter spending the night with her over spring break) and more mobility issues...or do nothing. With that choice they give her 1-3 months.

I guess I've always, in the back of my mind, held out hope that Mom would be "the one" to beat this from a stage IV diagnosis...since there IS no 0% survival. And in a way, she will be, as the 13th is her one year anniversary that they said she'd probably never see. But it's hard to think of this coming to a quality/quantity discussion "all the sudden" when we'd just gotten the news not long ago that her CT showed her as stable.

Just more of a roller coaster than I'd been prepared for, I guess...and man does it suck.

((((Missy)))),

I am devastated to hear this update. I will be holding you and Mom close and praying there will be lots more good times for you to spend together. This disease is nothing short of pure evil :twisted: and I sure wish it were completely obliterated.

Wish I had words to help you, Missy.............just can't find them for you tonight ~ and for that I am truly sorry.

Kasey

Missy -

I think so many of "we daughters" can relate (as well as a lot of others.) i am so sorry you have to go through this -- please PM if you want to talk. Unfortunately, we have a lot in common.

thinking of you,

Holly

Oh Missy I am so heart broken to hear the news about you mom.

I will send prayers out to her and you for strength.

Hang in there and stay close to her. You are such a wonderful daughter.

Maryanne :cry:

Missy -

I went back and read some of my old posts -- we experienced the same thing -- everything looked great and was stable - and less than one month later, everything changed. You are a fantastic daughter. How is your mom doing emotionally? I know you have some very difficult decisions to make. I will pray that you have peace of mind in whatever you chose....My heart aches for you.

Holly

Missy, I am so sorry your family is faced with this. I know the feeling of one minute you feel like you can breathe a sigh of relief that things are stable and then without preparation a major disappointment comes along and knocks the wind out of your sails. It's such a tough road and hard decision for your family to have to make.

Take care,

Sherri

Oh Missy..

$^%%%^%###@!!!!

I can't believe it! What a huge blow to all of you. So sorry Missy and Sues. Dang! Things were looking so good not that long ago. You are right; we ride the high highs and the low lows. We are forced.

I remember when my Mom was in the hospital with a heart attack. The doctor said that she wouldn't have the capablities to tie her shoes. I remembered thinking that her life was pretty much overwith. I am not able to tie my shoes most of the time now (thank God for slip ons) and my life is far from over.

You and your family have some HUGE investigation to do. You will want to know the outcomes for each choice you make and then be prepared to accept the results. For me, I think I would want to live no matter what. For each person, quality of life issues differ. You will have some difficult conversations to mull over all the 'what ifs'. There may be a counselor or clergy man at the hospital who is willing to walk you through this process.

You will need to get a secong opinion as far as I am concerned Missy and Sue. This is not a done deal as far as I am concerned. You both have the courage and intelligence to follow through and search out cutting edge therapies.

I have'nt had brain mets so I don't have any experience to share with you. Someone will be by to share theirs with you.

Hang in there both of you. And just breathe for now. That is all you need to do until you get your second wind. Then get out there and fight like hell.

love,

Cindi o'h

Missy I am so sorry for the sucky news. God I hate this disease.

I think Cindi had a good point though. I think you need to get a second opinion as to the options available for your mom.

With only 1 brain met, they should be able to go in and surgically remove it.

Is SRS the same as Gamma Knife? If not, why is that not an option? They also can do Cyberknife on the brain.

Anyway, I am praying hard for your mom, and for you too.

Missy,

I too am so sorry to hear about your mom, it is so emotionally exhausting to endure the highs and lows of all of it. But I agree with finding out more about what's happening to your mom. Don't be afraid to ask questions and even ask or demand a second opinion. Please know that many people are praying for you and your mom.

Grace