5 weeks into Recovery

EileenM

Hi - am 5 weeks into recovery from having my upper right lobe removed. I am Stage IA BAC and am fortunate not to need chemo or radiation. I am wondering if anyone ever experienced a burning sensation of the skin in the area below the right boobie :oops: and on my right side - it is there all the time. Especially when clothing touches the skin. Have put off calling the doctor because I keep thinking it will go away.

Thanks! :)

EileenM

Hi Eileen,

You might want to call the doctor to check since I think that is probably always a good option, but I think what you are experiencing is perfectly normal. I still have a slight burning, pretty much total numbness in the same area. I've posted before on here regarding my inability to wear a bra because of the uncomfortability and pain. I could deal with pain in the incision area but its the front and side area that causes me the problems.

My surgeon had told me that different people experience different sensations when healing after surgery. When they make the incision, it cuts through major nerves that affect the area that you mentioned. The nerves try to heal and create all kinds of wierd symptoms while they are "short circuiting" so to speak, trying to make the connections again. I go from slightly burning, to deep numbness that sometimes extends down or to the left if I'm tired, to feeling like I wore an underwire bra that was 2 sizes too small for a week, to feeling like I have a rib poking me somewhere. Then, on occasion, I have this pain in my right breast that comes from nowhere and disappears just as quick. I'm glad that he spent so much time talking to me about the nerve damage stuff because otherwise I would be pretty nervous. He told me that the incision is healed, the lung is healed, etc...but the nerves take a long time.

I'm not sure what a long time is...he really didn't give me a time estimate :roll: but I have a feeling its going to be quite awhile.

Debi

47 years old

NSCLC-Stage 1A

Surgery June 16th, upper & mid lobe removed

Hello Eileen,

Yes, I have some breast pain...and now I NEVER wear a bra! Didn't like the dern things anyway when I did wrap them around me.

Most of the time, the pain I experience is when my left breast is touched by a hand...just barely touched will do it. Clothing doesn't both me, and like I said, to sent my bra to-hell-in-a-handbasket...My pnumonectomy of my left lung was done on July 9, 2001...so I'm 2 years out now.

I think I'll post an inquiry to the men...I notice that all of your responses have come from women.

I haven't attempted a mammogram...the very thought sends me into a catatonic trance....

Onward!

Ellen Lilja

at my size of a whopping 32..c, I think, I actually have never worn one of those boobie maidens unless it was appropriate for the attire I was wearing, like a sheer blouse.

my breast is still very sensitive, and if Johnny were my hubby, I am afriad he would have the same limitations.

The other sensations, they will come and go..some stay for a couple days, some happen just once, others seem to be permanent. If this is the most I have to put up with after this horrid invasion..I feel pretty danged lucky!

I got a skeeter bite on my incision a couple days ago tho. Lucky there too..I didn't know it! I could not feel it until it got swollen up..and then I only felt it with my fingers!

I also have pain and tingling on my entire left side, including my left breast. There is numbness off and on, and the bras I wore before surgery just won't do anymore.

I also had breast cancer on the same side two years ago and although the breast healed quite quickly, the lymph node surgery aftereffects (numbness, tingling, sudden pains that went away just as quickly) stayed for quite some time.

I did finally go to Victoria's Secret and buy a really great bra. Plan to get some more when I do decide to wear bras regularly again.

But yes, my breast is numb, tingly, sometimes sore, especially at night when I am trying to sleep and roll over. Hope it goes away, but again, if that's all there is after that big bad surgery, I feel lucky.

I'm 2+months out of surgery now.

Eileen - can't answer the boobie question. I don't want to rain on your parade but I care enough to be concerned with the fact that your oncologist has not suggested adjuvant chemotherapy. Latest results of clinical trials would indicate that post surgical adjuvant chemotherapy yields a 5% increase in survival rates for NSCLC patients. Being that BAC typically presents multi-focally and is notorious for developing second primaries within 18 to 60 months post surgery, I would think that your oncologist would have at least addressed the issue with you and given you the option to decline adjuvant chemo. Take the time to research what I stated above and read the postings of other BAC survivors on this site to get a sense as to the high rate of recurrence with this particular subtype. Many of us with BAC wish we had been offered and submitted to post surgical adjuvant chemotherapy.

Hey everyone-

Boy, am I glad to read this info this a.m. Now I know I am (somewhat) normal! I have those sensations, too - and lots of numbness! I did attempt a mamogram at my PC's request to stay up-to-date - and to tell you the truth - it was a piece of cake! I had no feeling, the tech was a nervous wreck - she kept apologizing if she was hurting me! I told her squish away - I couldn't feel a thing! My problem is with shaving my underarm - I keep cutting myself, because I can't feel it - it ends up bleeding everywhere. I have to be really careful! Ain't womanhood grand?????

Terrie

Hi

Thanks for all your replies. At least I know I am not alone feeling those pokes, burning sensations and just downright unpleasantness. I dread riding in a car - so my trips to the malls are fewer - saving money now! haha

I go for my second post-surgical checkup next week. Was suppose to go tomorrow but the surgeon had to reschedule.

In reply to s-mekevanh -------I also went to an Oncologist for a second opinion about follow-up treatment and asked about chemotherapy and radiation. He said right now the treatment for BAC Stage 1A T1 N0 M0 was surgery with followup Catscans and CEA blood tests. The surgeon says the same thing. The surgeon is doing the follow-up. Are there any specific sites you can list so I can read and be ready to ask additional questions next week about BAC?

EileenM

Dx: NSCLC on July 23, 2003

Stage 1A T1 N0 M0

1.3 x 1.5 cm pulmonary nodule in right upper lobe

Upper right lobectomy

Bronchioalveolar Carcinoma (BAC)

Yes - there is - go to http://www.lungcanceronline.org - and look for the section on BAC. Karen Parles, the executive director for Lung Cancer Online is herself a lung cancer survivor (2 bouts). She is/was a librarian and has done an incredible job of categorizing the information. It's not only informative but also potentially life saving. Take the time to inform yourself because BAC - though Non Small Cell Lung Cancer - behaves very differently than other lung cancers in terms of cause (exposure to turberculosis, radon or other radioactive substances), diagnotic results (particularly PET - appears as smoldering infection), presentation (multi-focal), disease progression (very slow), recurrence (frequent and metachronous), metastasis (through blood, lymphatic system and airway), treatment options (typically surgery and in some cases adjuvant chemo), survival (longer than most other lung cancers), response to Alternative Treatments (particularly lung cancer vaccines, and newer chemo agents), and last but not least - lung transplantations in late or end stage disease (post transplant survival rates recorded at 80+ months).

Hi _meksvanh

I went to the website you referred me to. Lots of good information. From what I have read so far, it seems that the followup catscans and CEA blood tests are the things to be doing now. The website is a good one to go back to for updates on treatment. I have my list of questions going for the doctor. I have to review my list and answers from my first followup visit because I think some of my "new" questions were already answered.

I sure wish we knew what caused this BAC - at least I could do something to help prevent it from happening again. So far we've had another RADON test done in the house and in process of having our water tested again. I also have made improvements in my diet - so far I've eliminated Diet Sodas and increased my fruits and veggies. Got to do something positive other than just going for the followup Catscans and blood tests.

Still find it hard to believe this happened! Well I will go back to reading more of the info on the website.

Thanks again.

EileenM

DX:NSCLC on July 23, 2003

Stage 1A T1 N0 M0

l.x x 1l5 cm pulmonary nodule in right upper lobe

Upper right lobectomy

Bronchioalveolar Carcinoma (BAC)

Lifelong NonSmoker