Those Darn Techs- Updated!!!!

Debi

Grrrr :twisted:

Today, I had to go for a chest CT, the FIRST one since before my surgery since my Oncologist thinks xrays are all I need. I'm totally stressed mind you, because Lord knows what could be there that hasn't shown up on an xray in almost 3 years (knock on wood, cross your fingers, pray to all the saints, whatever!!). So right after, the tech comes over, helps me up and his very first words are "When do you see your doctor again, soon?", followed by - "Who is your doctor?" Of course those 2 questions were enough to totally send me into the frenzy zone. I swear, if I find out everything is fine tomorrow, I'm going to drive on over to the hospital and punch this guy right in the nose. Then I'll ask him if he's seeing HIS doctor anytime soon!!

Anyway, I went to my doctor about that annoying pinching whatsit under my right breastbone that I've had off and on since surgery, that's why the tests. It's been happening more frequently. Sometimes when I bend over, or stretch or twist, I get a sharp, intense pain like a charley horse under my right breastbone. It takes your breath away- you can't do anything but stand there frozen until it stops. Luckily it only lasts about 10 seconds. Then it feels almost as if something peels away, or falls back into place and other than a little soreness, you're good to go till next time. That could be the next day or a month later. It's really not something that I can't live with, but by now my curiosity is peaked and I would like to know if my diaphram or my damn leftover lung is getting stuck on my ribs or what this thing is...

Okay, all line up behind Debi to smack this guy around a bit. Too bad these people aren't trained in keeping their mouths shut.

No surgery here but the scar tissue, from tumor and radiation, causes great discomfort at times so maybe that's the same for you.

Let me know when to help you sort this fellow out.

Take care

Geri

Prayers that all is well. You know I have a similar pain on my left side. I haven't had any kind of surgery or anything else. I asked my doctor about a hernia and she didn't feel that was it. Your right it is painful and it comes and goes without warning. I haven't had it happen in quite awhile and then the other day OUNCH! Just when I was thinking it had gone away :?

Hey Debi,

Since my surgery, I get pains under my ribcage too. Charley horse is a good way to describe it. It happens when I move just wrong. Grips me and takes my breath away. Then will slowly relax. I can feel a knot in there...as if it cramps up. I think it might have something to do with a nerve. Everytime I tell a doctor about it (if I do) they give me the closed mouth, silent treatment, no response kind of thing and look at me as if I am nuts. Then they change the subject.

They don't react you know unless you are dying right there in front of them. And then maybe not even.

As far as the tech goes...Just hate test time. There is nothing pleasant about it. Will be looking for your update. And hopefully, you will be posting with some bloody knuckles.

(Truthfully, I think he was asking when you see your doctor to see how fast the read needs to be made. And secondly, who is your doctor, so that they can write up their report properly and send it to the right place. They ask me these questions too, so you are not alone.)

Cindi o'h

Hey Deb...I am cracking up here...'diaphram" ...you nut...haha...funny ..NOT..

All joking aside Deb...praying that everything is alright and th tech is a stupid a'ss....they should learn to keep their mouth shut if it's not something good.

I have learned to keep my mouth shut when I go for test's...cause once I asked...'how is everything"...response was: :you will have to speak to your doctorrrr.....now one time before that...when I had the brain scan...I asked 'how did it look"...and the tech said..."looks good to me and I've been doing this for 15 yrs....Now that is the kind of tech I like..ha...I know they are not supposed to tell you...but if they can't say something good...don't say anything...don't they realize what kind of stress we are under already...JERK!!

Deb...I know all will be well but I WILL speak to ST Joe tonight :-) ...ahhhhhhh you don't think it's a sign of old age ..do you?...

hugs girl...PamS..

Oh Debi, I can't stand those people who work in labs - the ones who poke you a hundred times with a needle and the XRay, CT people. Some are so tactless. I really hate the whole experience. Then, the anxiety makes it all worse. Happy 3 years! I'm so glad you and Cindy mentioned that pain. I have it too. Same experiences. The pulmonologist suggested that if it didn't go away we could do a bone scan. Didn't bother with that and, of course, I still have the pain. Same as Cindy, when I reach for something, lean over to pick up something on the floor. Seems like muscle spasms - really strong. I feel so relieved to hear that others have the same thing. So far, I haven't been able to interest my Onc. or his nurse practitioner in these pains - exc. for a Rx for a muscle relaxer. It didn't work.

Ok, now, Debi, just relax. Everything will be ok. It would have come back already if it was going to.

Muriel

It is so wierd, with the spasm thingy. Every time I have told a doctor their eyes have glazed over and they look at me like I'm totally crazy. IF you guys on here hadn't known what I was talking about in the past, I would think I was nuts by now. Also, there is someone that had lung surgery at work who has the same exact thing going on.

This doctor had told me that I can apply these heat strips on my midriff to help with the spasms, if that's what they are. He told me I can put them on to control the pain when I get it. I tried to tell him that I don't know when it's going to happen, and when it does, the pain is over in 10 seconds. I'd have to be pretty quick!! :shock::roll: I can't believe I can't get ONE doctor to understand what the hell I'm talking about!!!

Oh and PAM!! I didn't mean THAT diaphragm was stuck on my ribs for crying out loud!!!!!!!!! :shock::D Geesh!!!

I get those stubbing pains on my ribcage too. It last 5 seconds but boy is it painful.. I know exactly what you mean by those ignorant techs who can't shut their mouth. The first ECG Thomas had, it was the next day after LC diagnosis, the tech asked when are you going to see a Thoracic Surgeon? Hell were still in the state of shock and did not even know what the hell is thoracic surgeon.. errrh...

I wish I had my boxing gloves then.

Hope all goes well with your test

Debi,

Good luck with your CT results today and when you get over to the CT lab, give that tech a right hook from me! Don't they realize that we micro-analyze everything they all say to try to get some kind of indication about the finding????????? Or are they just insensitive?

Cindy

Debi,

Good luck with your CT results today and when you get over to the CT lab, give that tech a right hook from me! Don't they realize that we micro-analyze everything they all say to try to get some kind of indication about the finding????????? Or are they just insensitive?

Cindy

Sorry I am just getting to this post, Debi :oops: ! I'll be waiting for good results............hoping too that they come fast! I still smile when I think of your 'Highway to Hell' post. We all try to get hints from the techs. You should have seen me all doped up on Ativan (needed just to get me to LOOK at the closed MRI machine when time for brain MRI's) trying to "REASON :roll: " with the tech as to what he saw on the MRI! Actually I do think he let a little positive smirk escape!!!! Or was it just the Ativan?????? At any rate, here's to GREAT results, Debi!

Kasey

Suck a duck Debi, I am sure you are no better at waiting than me. I hope by the time I get home later there is good news.

Two things:

1--To jump in, like others, I get that pain. In my case sometimes if I push I can even feel it hurt. I don't know if we are talking about the same area, but my Dr said it is most likely muscular, inflamation of the chest wall area.

2--Maybe there should be a rule where techs cannot speak and also we are blindfolded as not to see them :) When I had my recent booby check and was sent for ultrasound, my mom was with me, and the tech made it seem positive something was found, then dr came in and said it was nothing

Well, I'm back from the doctor but of course, not until I had another wierd experience.

The nurse had to beep the doctor since he was across the street at the hospital. While I'm waiting she came in to do my BP, etc. Then she turns toward me, takes out a folder and says "I'm afraid I've been asked to speak to you about something unpleasant". Well, I almost threw up at that point because the only thing I could think of was the doctor couldn't make it and she was going to give me my results. Then she goes on to say that every 3 months they get a list of delinquent accounts and I owe $25.00 from over 90 days ago. Yeah, real unpleasant. :roll::shock:

Anyway, thanks for all your good thoughts and wishes and shared experiences - all was well with the CT, nothing abnormal at all- how awesome is that?? THe only thing that came up was fibrosis in my bottom right lobe which I'm sure is scar tissue from my surgery. Just a side note here- every single day, even though my job or or just life may drive me crazy - I never ever forget how grateful I am, how unbelievable it is that I am still here.

So, I have not solved the mystery of the whatsit, but when all is said and done, I'm okay. The doctor admitted that he was intrigued by what it could be, but he has no idea, maybe a thoracic surgeon as suggested on here would be able to help. On the way out, when I was telling the nurse again about the whatsit, she said oh my gosh, I get that in my back every so often since my back surgery.

The mystery continues...... :|

So glad everying tested fine. don't you love those medical people??? I had my eye doctor one time look at me very seriously and sadly with "bad news". Seems I couldn't wear my contacts for a few months.

I yelled at him (politely of course) and said you don't do that to cancer people. He took it well and apologized.

Thanks for the update

gail

Hey Deb....first and fore most I am sooo happy that everything was OK...figured it was after reading the other posts and many simular pains...never the less good that you had it checked out...Now when do we meet to beat up the tech...JERK...

Oh and about the diaphram...OOPS....what do I know?...never used one and don't know about any other..bwahahaha

Great news Deb...now you can relax for a while...and I didn't mention but I too get sometime wierd pain but not as you were describin...but I do attribute it to my surgery....

Ok kids..hope all is well and everyone is having a great day...God Bless us All...hugs..

PamS.

Debi:

Very happy for you that all is well. Can hardly believe the "unpleasant news" of $25.00 due! I don't think these folks actually THINK of what they are saying before they speak when they do that. Same gig with the techs. Doesn't med or tech school offer sensitivity training to these people? Every major corporation does and heaven knows we all are supposed to be so up on "political correctness" that we can barely talk to each other anymore without consulting something for what to say!

I've had the whasit cramping too at various times -- can't explain it either. Haven't had enough episodes of it to bring it to the attention of anyone.

Linda

We ALL knew, didn't we, that it would turn out to be nothing to fret about, mysterious yes but life threatening no.

Aren't we all puffed up now that we've been proved right, HA! Too bad we all fall to pieces when it's our pain but have all the right answers for everyone else.

Now, to the unpleasant news.....pay your bills please we can't stand the pressure of anything more than "mysterious"!!

I just had a bill from my PCP for $5 (a current debt I might add) that was owed because I hadn't paid all my co-pay....what a good job I'd paid that day with a check ~~~~ they did apologise for the error, though I'm not sure how someones bad handwriting made 15 look like 10.

So glad that you can relax now.

Geri

So very glad that all the news was good and now you can relax. But...I have one question. When are we all lining up to deck the tech and the nurse??? Count me in on the lineup!

Glad everything is ok Debi. What's the next worry for you? I'm having a CT scan on Monday. It was just at this point after the surgery that the 2nd tumor showed up. Yes, a little nervous. And I hate those people who can't find veins.

Muriel