CHEAP High protein drink for chemo/radiation patients.....

mike_s

I can't figure out where to post this, so I guess "General" is the place...

When I was undergoing chemo I had real problems with getting enough protein, because I could not eat much due to lack of appetite, and esophageal pain from the chemo/radiation combination.

I had no health insurance, so a lot of cash was going out, and I REALLY needed to watch expenses. I was drinking a lot of "Ensure", and was really unhappy because to me it tastes like crap, and is horribly expensive.

I complained about it to a senior chemo nurse while I was getting treatment one day, and she suggested an alternative.. she says she reccomends it to all of her patients, because it contains much more protein and iron than "Ensure", and is MUCH cheaper:

1 Cup Milk

1 Cup Vanilla Ice Cream

1 Packet Carnation Instant Breakfast(I like Chocolate)

I tried it once, and then I went out and bought a 3 gallon tub of vanilla ice cream, and the largest container of powdered Carnation Instant Breakfast they sold.

To me, it tastes like a really good chocolate shake. There are other flavors, if you don't like chocolate.

The down side of this drink if you look at the stats is that you get much more carbohydrates(SUGAR) with this drink than you do with "Ensure". What the nurse told me is really true though, the iron and protein from this drink leaves "Ensure" in the dust. Trust me, it tastes waaay better also.

"So what" with the sugar. Chemo patients, in general, need every damned calorie they can get.

Regards,

mike_s

they had cans and cans of ensure at my chemo and radiation center. I Always took a few each time I was there and never did have to spend $ on any at the store. I guess they were donated for a reason.

Me. And whoever else couldn't afford it. Ask. Maybe they have some in the back they wish they could get rid of.

cindi o'h

Hi Mike. I was drinking one super shake everynight which I made exactly as you say, except used raspberry/choc flavored mix. Yummy. I actually gained 2 lbs during 6 weeks of rad and chemo. The carnation instant breakfast mix is good idea.

Are you back from your trip Mike? Barb

Hi Mike. I was drinking one super shake everynight which I made exactly as you say, except used raspberry/choc flavored mix. Yummy. I actually gained 2 lbs during 6 weeks of rad and chemo. The carnation instant breakfast mix is good idea.

The instant breakfast is for the iron, and vitamins. The taste is what sold me on it, as well as the cost. I never found a flavor of Ensure I liked. and it is so damned expensive.

Are you back from your trip Mike? Barb

Long back, and getting married to the gal in the first set of pics. She knows all about the cancer, and is fine with it. She is a VERY devout Buddhist, which may affect that. She just believes that any time we have happy together is a gift from Buddha, that should be enjoyed, not questioned.

"Kao pen faen Michael"... She is my girlfriend.. actually fiance. I have filed all the papers necessary to bring her here, and we are just waiting for the government to get on with it.

She is the sweetest, kindest woman I have ever known, and I am looking forward to making her my wife. I really want the government to get off the dime, because 30 min phone calls to HK are not cheap, and I seem to be calling her every night. :oops: My bedtime is around 10 PM, which lines up perfectly with her lunch at 1 PM (the next day) in HK. :D We are teaching each other our languages via the telephone. :-)

Regards,

mike_s