Heart tests

elkiesmom

I followed your advise about my post of Gary's tightness in chest and we saw a heart doc.Gary had a chemical stress test which showed he might have had a slight heart attack. He went for a cardiac cath and that came out fine. We got the OK to go to Ca and when we came back Gary had an ECG we will get the results this tues.I am glad that we hopefully will have some piece of mind about his heart but the tightness in his chest is the same.His pulmonary doc had him take breathing tests and is lung compacity is at 98%.Any other suggestions.

Lorrie

Hi Lorrie,

From what you wrote..it sounds like, *so far* they don't think it's his heart, correct? Did the doc say anything about what he/she thinks it is?

I am just throwing this *out there* does he have any history of reflux...like problems with stomach acid and such?

Perhaps it's a side effect from a medication?

A few suggestions on ways to describe for the doc exactly what he is feeling.

What is he doing when it happens

Does anything else hurt when he experiences the tightness

Can he describe the tightness any other way (sharp, gnawing, aching, burning, crushing, dull)

How long does it last

Does changing positions help the tightness

I hope you get to the bottom of this and please let us know what the results of the ECG are.

I think I missed reading your original post so if I am repeating things that have been suggested, just ignore me.. LOL :D

One other thing...sometimes when I get anxious *everything* feels tight..not sure if anxiety can actually make ones chest feel tight but maybe. Main thing is..the docs need to get to the bottom of this.

Good luck and post back

Libby

Hi Libby

I am going to go over your post with Gary.The Tightness in his chest started between Chemo treatments and then all the time after Chemo was stopped.Gary also has and always had Asthma. Before LC when he said his chest felt tight he would always be coming down with a very bad cold.I think that because he is not on chemo which had steriods in it that could be the problem.Though he does take a lot of meds for asthma and some of the inhalers have steriods in them.I will show him your post when he gets home from work and get the answers.We have seen so many doctors lately my mind is mush.

Lorrie

Hi Lorrie,

From what you wrote..it sounds like, *so far* they don't think it's his heart, correct? Did the doc say anything about what he/she thinks it is?

I am just throwing this *out there* does he have any history of reflux...like problems with stomach acid and such?

Perhaps it's a side effect from a medication?

A few suggestions on ways to describe for the doc exactly what he is feeling.

What is he doing when it happens

Does anything else hurt when he experiences the tightness

Can he describe the tightness any other way (sharp, gnawing, aching, burning, crushing, dull)

How long does it last

Does changing positions help the tightness >>>>>>>>

Libby its me again.

Gary just called and I asked him what his tightness felt like and read him your list.He said the only way he can describe it is that it feels like a weight on his chest and every time he takes a deep breath it restricts it. He does not have any reflux problems only when he was on Chemo. He had a chest X ray before the Cardo cath and his lungs looked great. The tightness could last days but when we went to Ca it seemed to be better even though he was working he still was relaxing with the grand kids so it might be work even though he does work two days a week at home and the other three days at the office but he always has his cell phone on.He has also developed PVC's (many)but his heart doc is not concerned.The doctor doubled his dose of blood preasure meds and this has seemed to decrease the PVC's but he had to be put on extra water pills to conteract the double dose of blood preasure meds. Gary has to take a calicum blocker and not a beta blocker because of his asthma and calicum blockers do tend to cause fluid build up.

Lorrie

Hi Lorrie,

I hope that Gary's discomfort is better and from what you wrote the second time, it sounds like his doc is really trying to figure this out.

It's scary whenever *chest pain or chest discomfort* is a symptom but just keep on top of his doc for some answers.

Only suggestions I have (and you probably have already done this) is to bring all Gary's meds with you to his appointment and have the doc go over them to make sure there isn't any interactions between the meds.

I *hear* the concern in your words Lorrie, and please know that you two are in my prayers. From all you wrote, it certainly sounds as if his doc is taking good care of him and running all the appropriate tests to make sure his heart/lungs are ok.

Blessings and please let us know what the doc says on Tuesday.

Libby

Gary just called and I asked him what his tightness felt like and read him your list.He said the only way he can describe it is that it feels like a weight on his chest and every time he takes a deep breath it restricts it. He does not have any reflux problems only when he was on Chemo. He had a chest X ray before the Cardo cath and his lungs looked great. The tightness could last days but when we went to Ca it seemed to be better even though he was working he still was relaxing with the grand kids so it might be work even though he does work two days a week at home and the other three days at the office but he always has his cell phone on.He has also developed PVC's (many)but his heart doc is not concerned.The doctor doubled his dose of blood preasure meds and this has seemed to decrease the PVC's but he had to be put on extra water pills to conteract the double dose of blood preasure meds. Gary has to take a calicum blocker and not a beta blocker because of his asthma and calicum blockers do tend to cause fluid build up.

Lorrie

I don't know a lot about Cancer that my MIL has but I do know some about the heart. ASk the Dr for a Echocardiogram to see what his ejection Fraction is. The double dose of blood Pressure meds along with Fluid Pills(Lasix. ECT.) can cause the Blood Pressure to get to low since the Fluid Pills lower the Blood Pressure also. Stress can cause PVC's and so can low Magnisium and Pottasium.

Tina

We just got back from the heart Doc and all the test results are great. We all ready knew after the cardac cath that his arteries were good but we were waiting for the echo results and his heart looks great.

tina we told the doc that Gary was taking an extra water pill and the doc said stop but take the higher dose cardizem cd since it is helping the many PVC's Gary has been having.The Doctor said on the holtor monitor during 3000 events gary was having 2500 pvc's during each event. This will not hurt him though???????His hdl ldl and trig was 187 but his hdl was 40. I questioned the doctor since I had just been to my Doc that am and even though my total was 247 (with meds)my hdl was 85. I have taken meds since I was 40 and that is a great hdl number but my total level is genetic and not what I eat.Without meds I was 335 total. So Gary is on as of now a low fat diet per me.I never understood how at his 235 + lb and my 115 lbs could give such reverse numbers but most doctors just go by the total numbers. Gee I am getting off track anyway his doc said his 40 is just on the normal side.He also said for gary to stop caffine which will be no problem for him (me it would be) but when I told the doctor what about all of his asthma med since they are all uppers he said I was right but for gary to stop his ONE cup of coffee a day.So we still do not know why the tightness in his chest or pvs's and can just asume it is from the surgery and Asthma and maybe Chemo.Like you also said Stress most likely plays a part also. Since being diag with LC he has worked twice as hard at work just to prove he is OK. The CEO told him to take it easy but it is not the way gary is. MEN>

Thankyou Tina

Lorrie