Had First Chemo Treatment Today

TomR4th

I had chemo today for the first time - Taxol & Carboplaton - Time of session was about 5 hours..

They gave me a bunch of pre & post treatment medications..I go back this Monday for a shot to build up the white cells..

This is only day one & so far so good - only mild nausea that I fought off..Someone said that you might get a reaction several days after..

The hair is going to go from the taxol (no big deal) but I might beat it to the punch by having the barber take it off next week..something tells me that it would be pschologically better to control it myself..who knows?

God Bess!

Tom

Same chemo as me, Tom! Hope it goes as well for you as it did for me. Forget............if you mentioned...........how many are you to have? Best of luck to ya, Tom. I'll be wishing for supberb results! MANY years of NED would do it!!!!

Kasey

Glad to hear it's going smoothly. It'll take the hair a little while to respond -- I think Len began to notice it just before the second chemo session (just about three weeks after #1) and he took himself off to the barber for a "buzz cut".

Thank heavens for all the preventative medications they give you; a whole lot better than the reactions you might otherwise get!

Ellen

Thank you Kasey..They are setting up 4 treatment sessions three weeks apart (all on Friday)..Then each Monday back for a shot & then 10 days after each shot a quick visit with the oncologist..

I was extremely impressed with the facilities & the concern & professionalism of the staff..

I consider myself lucky in this whole endeavor (with the exception of the diagnosis) & having friends & supporters like you..

Tom

Tom I had that same chemo combo also. I was told to drink lots of water and I did. Also I took Aleve for the pain. It seemed to work better than the prescription pain meds for me. Take care.

Prayers

You may want to wait on the hair May not happen. Deb had Multiple treatments before hair loss occurred. Good Luck and Keep us posted.

Hi Tom. I agree with Randy...the hair might not go, or maybe just some slight thinning on top...you could get away with a baseball cap.

Good news to hear you tolerated the chemo well. Be sure to keep eating your veggies and other good foods now, as your body will have to rebuild itself.

Don't forget to treat yourself now and then too. Best of Luck Tom. Barb

Tom, Lucie is on the same chemo now plus Avastin. 3 week cycle. She had a similar combination (w/o Avastin) 2 years ago and her hair began to fall out in the second cycle. Also, she was hit with nausea about the 4th day into the first week and it lasted over a week. This time, it is the same with the nausea. Good luck on the rest of your treatment. Don

Hi Tom,

I had the same combo every week while I was enjoying daily radiation as well.

About 2-3 days after ifusion is when I felt the worse. Then every day after just a bit better.

You will probably lose your hair just around your second infusion time. When it starts to go, it goes fast. If you don't get a buzz cut quickly, then you will surely have a mess of fallen out hair all over the place.

Wishing you least amount of sides with this and of course, great success.

Cindi o'h

Hi Tom,

So much great advice, all that's left is for me to wish you the very best of luck. You do have the best attitude which will surely help you through this.

It wasn't as bad as I imagined it would be.

Just (another) to be sure to keep up on the liquids & eating, especially the drinking.

All the best.

Joan

Hi Tom,

I had the same chemo regimen as you

and i got my nausea on days 3 & 4.

It was very do able and I did lose my hair

but when all was said and done it was nothing

compared to getting rid of the big C.

Also, each treatment seemed to wear me down a little more.

Good luck to you

Kathy

Tom,

Welcome and glad it is going well. My dad has been doing very well on chemo. He has a "weird" feeling in the pit of his stomach, but has found that the best thing he can do is to have something in his tummy most of the time. Once he woke with dry heaves, and that was it....he started having 2 or 3 pretzels in the night to ward these off and he hasn't had them since.

I will certainly pray for you, and I hope you continue on the good road!!! God bless!

Hi Tom,

Glad you got through your first treatment. One down, 3 to go. It is doable.

My husband got flu like pains in his legs and feet about the 3 or 4th day. He did take Pergosets that helped him. I also massage his legs which also helped. The pain is only temporary and lasted maybe 3 days. But then again everyone is different.

He buzzed his hair as it started to come out in clunks and lost some of his buzz but not all. So he probably would have not lost all his hair it just would have thinned.

Before you know it, this will be a thing of the pass. Hang in there you are doing great!

Maryanne :wink:

Hey there Tom ~

Glad to hear that your treatment has started. I just finished 6 Carbo/Taxol with minimal side effects - some peripheral neuropathy, some queasiness post chemo, some sense of taste changes post chemo. For me, the fatigue and joint/muscle pain were the most difficult part.

I lost my hair right around day 17 after the first treatment. It was sudden and swift. I decided to shave it all off because I was tired of dealing with it and because my scalp was so sensitive and tender when it started to come out. It was a great relief for me when I shaved my hair - I finally was in control of something and it made me feel a bit better.

Sending you positive thoughts,

Pam in FL

Wishing you continue to feel well during chemo...my Dad did very well and he has a weak stomach!!! It just made him really tired.His hair never really completly fell out....and when it started coming back in he looked like Tommy Pickles from the RUgrats LOL All in all he did well...and I hope you do to....Deb