Hi, new here....

Guest FiremansWife96

Guest FiremansWife96

My name is Karin, and on April 21st, my Dad was diagnosed w/non-small cell, large cell carcinoma. He is stage 3A.

Treatment was due to start this past week, but was put on hold after an MRI of the brain found a possible anneurysm. He had an MRA of the brain today. His dr said that even if it is an anneurysm, he wasn't too concerned about it.

He is 64, and has been smoking since his teens. So far, all the tests indicate no spreading. The tumor is in the right, upper lobe & adjacent to the spine. He meets w/his oncologist & radiologist next week, then treatment will begin. Surgery has not been ruled out, but if it does happen, it will be after the chemo & radiation.

Glad I found this site....

Karin

Hi Karin-

I am glad you found us. I am sorry to hear about your dad's diagnosis. I hope he responds well to treatment. Let us know how what chemo he will start on. Make sure he drinks lots of water before, during, and after chemo-- it will help with the muscle aches.

Rochelle

Welcome Karin. Glad you found us. Did your Dad have any symptoms that lead to the diagnosis? You said it was near his spine. Please keep us posted on how he is doing. I had to have chemo and radiation to make my tumor operable so sometimes that works out. Again, welcome.

Donna G

Hi, Karin. So sorry you have to be here but, as you already know, this is the place to find out the information that can keep you going through this whole process.

My husband was also diagnosed as 3A -- and after surgery, chemo and radiation, he's doing just fine (touch wood). There are lots of tips that you'll find here for making treatment more manageable. Let us know what the details on the treatment plan are and I'm sure lots of people will be responding with their own experiences, as you can see already.

Ellen

Karin,

Welcome to the boards. I am sorry that we meet such good friends through such a terrible disease. You will get tons of support here. I can't believe all the people here and how helpful they all are. God bless you and your family. I pray for peace, miracles, and healing always!

Karin,

A VERY warm welcome to you!!!! It is sounding as if everything is getting all lined up and Dad is ready to get started! Once the tx begins things will feel a bit more under control. Chemo and radiation is a good way to go..........which may lead the way to surgery. That's the course I took. Looking forward to keeping up to date with Dad's progress. Be sure to come often for support and information.

Kasey

Karin

Welcome to our family. So glad you posted to let us know about your dad.

They have a plan for him and once he start treatment he will feel much better and hopefully they will be able to operate.

Just know that we are here for you if you have questions or need support.

Maryanne :wink:

Hello Karin and welcome...

As you have most likly figured out by all the previous replies you have gotten, this is a wonderful site full of wonderful and caring people. You will be amazed at how much information and support you will receive....

Prayers and hugs,

Hi Karin and welcome to this board. As soon as your dad gets a treatment plan going, things will even out a bit. Finding a brain anneurysm could be a plus I suppose. your dad can get it treated and be safe from a stroke.

Don M

Welcome Karin,

Sorry to here about your dad. It sounds like he has things scheduled and underway as far as treatment goes. Your dad's diagnosis is a rare one, Large Cell carcinoma. My husband also has a carcinoid tumor (Atypical carcinoma) pathology. They can sometimes have unfortunate side effects as carcinoids often secrete hormones that cause diahhrea and flushing and other harmless but irritation symptoms. Does your dad have any symptoms right now?

My husband and I live in WI, but we found one of the leading doctors of oncology for carcinoid pathologies is Dr. O'dirisio in Iowa City Iowa (university of Iowa). We went to see him there last year and he was very helpful and knows every trial and treatment specifically for carcinoids. He may be a good person to contact for either a phone or mail consultation or even a road trip and second opinion.

I will be keeping you and your dad in my prayers.

Welcome!

Carleen

So sorry you had the need to find us. Best thoughts and prayers for Dad and you. Is your husband a Fire Fighter? My husband is an honorary member of our local station, retired after 9 years as a volunteer. Welcome Karin.

Lynda