BONE SCANS

KatieB

I just can not stress strongly enough how important a bone scan is in this fight against lung cancer.

Many of you have had them. Some may not have...but my dad never ever had a bone scan.....

Dr. never wanted one as dad did not ever have any pain....no symptoms of bone mets...until his shoulder pain a few weeks back... X-ray/MRI confirms a shoulder met and treatment starts right away.....STILL no bone scan.

Dad had his first bone scan four days ago. And it was a doozy. Cancer throughout his skeletal system.

My point here is about survival...catching these mets early and treating them/ preventing them.

I pray for all of you constantly.. I want you guys to beat the odds TEN FOLD, show those medical professionals and "experts" that lung cancer CAN be beaten with information, advocacy, a strong will and a strong faith.

I'm hating myself for not insisting that Dad get a bone scan months ago. It seemed needless at the time and dad was going thru so much already...and he had been doing so well, I was sure he was fine. I've been kicking myself pretty hard today........

Learn from us. keep getting those tests

I'm hating myself for not insisting that Dad get a bone scan months ago. It seemed needless at the time and dad was going thru so much already...and he had been doing so well, I was sure he was fine. I've been kicking myself pretty hard today........

Katie,

Please don't hate yourself I have been there and it isn't very pretty.

You are a wonderful daughter/caregiver and you have taught us all much about being an advacate for our loved ones. From what I have learned about your dad here it would take alot of pain before he would complain even a little. I don't know anyone who has been more on top of the situation then YOU! The only reson my mom got a bone scan is because she complained of pain.

I am praying for you and your family.

Hugs, Shelly

Katieb

I have prayed for you and your father since the day tthat I have came to this board and I refuse to give up. You father has been a great inspiration fo me and he always will. I don't care what the doctors say. as long as there is a will there is a way. There are so many people who claim to have beat this terminal stage of cancer and whos to say that we are not blessed like they are. I am so praying for you and your dad/family..please dont give up your hopes I am determined that we all will beat this.

Christy

GOD BLESS YOU AND YOU FATHER!

Please GOD come in to our lives and bless us with your love.

Katie, please, please, please-no regrets. You have been there for your father, above and beyond what many others have done! We must, at some point, trust in the doctors as well. We fight when we need to, but we can't always know better, we just live and learn. As Maya Angeleou says:

"When you know better, you do better".

Katie, you can't beat yourself up. Please remember all of the doctors appts. you have accompanied your father to MOST of his appointments. You have sought out information and knowledge. You have fought for him and for his life!!!! You must remind yourself of that. You are not "superwoman", but you are a super woman. You are a wonderful, caring and loving daughter...a wonderful and caring person. Someone that anyone would want backing them when the going gets tough. As you said, your father never showed signs of bone mets until recently. How much can one person be responsible for? You kept up on your fathers health, you have been pro-active and persistant in making sure that he got the best care. And also that he know that he is loved and making some wonderful experiences for him to enjoy and memories for you and your family. You have EVERYTHING TO BE PROUD OF KATIE!!! You have a wonderful father in Jessie and he has a wonderful daughter in you. That love has been evidant. It has been both spoken and shown!! I cannot emphasize the importance of that for you and your father, and for your whole family.

Remember. Please remember. No regrets.

You are in my prayers, constantly.

Deb

Dear Katie,

PLEASE DONT HATE YOURSELF!! At the risk of boring everyone with my story again, here goes:

You all know my father battled lymphoma twice so after that he got 3 month CT scans. About 4 months after his remission 1/02 a nodule showed up on a scan. Onc said "dont worry, these things happen after a lot of chemo, its near your scar tissue". He didnt want to put my father through a biopsy or anything invasive as he had just been through so much with the stem cell transplant for the lymphoma. 6 months later it grew a little so they did a PET. PET came up clear. We were relieved. Didnt grow again till 1/03, but only slightly so "dont worry". When it grew again in 3/03 there was a lymph node there as well. Well, of course the next PET that was taken lit up.

So, instead of last year when we first saw it appear when he wouldve been a 1a, it lights up now and he's 3a. There are times the regret of that shakes me up. Why didnt we insist on a PET 3 months later? Could he have had a needle biopsy sooner? But then I remind myself that we were praying soooooo hard all this time. The prayers were there for God to have let us know last year that this was lung cancer. But He didnt, so there mustve been a reason. I certainly dont claim to know what God's plans are but I know He must have a good one for my father. I feel He is using this experience to save others. There are many ways, one is I will tell this story every time I hear someone "waiting" on a nodule, another is now when I DO NOT want you to live with regret, and another is my own religious reasons of believing that our suffering is saving other sinners and souls in purgatory. My father is such a good, religious man that I would believe God would want his suffering to save others. My religion teaches me it is an honor to save souls like Jesus did.

That doesnt mean we still cant believe in miracles, that once the job is done, they can be cured. I still believe that, Im counting on that.

Dont live with regret, Katie, you prayed for your father too so the prayers were there for change and this still happened. So, there is some other reason for this, its not for no good reason. Im not saying its the same reasons as my father, but its not in vain, so you should not kick yourself once.

Im praying for him since your post, even first thing this morning before I came to see if you posted. Keep praying, my friend, keep asking them what they are going to do about this, what are his options, etc.

I'll be praying all day for dear Jessee.

Katie,

Usually bone scans are done upon diagnosis along with a CT scan so dotor's know what they're dealing with. It's usually part of the normal protocol. HOW WOULD YOU KNOW THAT (then)? It's their JOB, AND THEY SCREWED IT UP, NOT YOU. Sure we all know a lot after we start reading and researching but in the beginning the shock is so numbing you sort of just go with the doctors. They should have scheduled it pain or not and they are the ones that have to live with that, not you. It's not your JOB to know what tests should be done, you and your family depended on them and they messed up royally. Get mad and let em have it.

Katie

You have done a fantastic job for your Dad. You have been so loving and devoted that you should not have any regrets. As others have said, the bone scan ishould have been done routinely by the doctor. It is their job to know. As much as we research and try to get information for our loved ones, we are not medical professionals and can't cover it all. Also I believe you mentioned that your Dad was going through so much at the time. Sometimes it does seem that one more test or procedure could put them beyond their tolerance. I'm currently going through this with my Dad. On his PEt back in May, they said that they "could not rule out a thyroid neoplasm". My Dad was going through so much at the time -- had had a broncoscopy, dysphagia due to no cause they could figure out, surgery and something else I can't even remember --- when i asked the oncologist about the comment about the thryroid on the PET -- the oncologist said we'll deal with that later. Anyhow, now that my Dad just had some CTs to see how the chemo is doing and it came up with the fact that my Dad should have an ultrasound of the kidney, I suggested to the oncologist (who had forgotten about the thyroid problem) that we should ultrasound the thyroid at this point. I don't think my Dad could have handled anymore bad news at the time Katie. I think sometimes we have to protect our loved ones in this way. My Dad will get the results tomorrow and I think that if the thyroid is cancerous, he may give up the fight. But Katie, my point is our elderly loved ones can take only so much at times. I know I'm not saying this well. You should not feel negligent in not having requested a scan for your Dad. It was your doctor's place to do so and your Dad has put up a valiant fight and continues to do so.

God bless!

Gail

Katie

Please don't beat yourself up for something that was not your fault. My land, girl. You were going to law school, taking care of your own family, and being the very best daughter a parent could ask for. You hung over your dad to make sure he had everything.

No, I agree with the others here. A bone scan is part of the normal protocol and your dad's doctor should have been on top of this.

My thoughts and prayers will always be with you Katie.

God Bless

Sue M

kATIE

Please just stop, it was not up to you to order a bone scan, that was your dad's doctors responsibility. I recently had a bone scan, about a month ago because I went to a new oncologist who ordered one. She told me there were some suspicious spots in a few places on my bones, they could be cancer or they could be arthritis. Naturally I got very upset upon hearing this news and asked her what she was going to do about it. She told me that since I was not having any pain they were not going to do anything and that the chemo would take care of it if they were bone mets. I do not believe there is anything that can be done for cancer in the bones besides radiation if there is pain and of course chemo. I know a woman who has had cancer for 2 1/2 years. It started out as a lump in her breast which was untreated and it had spread to her bones 2 1/2 years ago, it was so bad that she broke her arm and her hip, BUT she is still living and walking around! Please Katie do not blame yourself for anything you have been the world's best daughter to your dad, no one could have done more for a parent. I am so sad to hear the news about your dad. I will continue to pray for him and for you and your mom

Bess B