Chronic Anemia, Low Electrolytes, and Low Protein

Linda661

Any suggestions for what to do to combat chronic anemia, low sodium/cloride, and low protein when you are drinking protein shakes, eating salty stuff and keep getting anti-anemia shots and have had two blood transfusions?

Mom just had her last blood transfusion last week and has been getting weekly Aranesp shots for anemia.....not working near enough by the bloodwork to combat the anemia. She's drinking high protein shakes at least 3 times a day (eating eggs and other proteins pretty darn well, all things considered), and eating salty snacks, drinking juices, etc. for electrolytes -- we have to watch the sugar content of things......glucose levels are consistently running high these weeks from drug-induced diabetes.

Weight is holding well so far (after an 8 pound loss from C-diff issues), but I am wondering if there is anything else we can do to help correct these conditions with her diet or other supplementation. She isn't on iron or B-12 supplements, for example....would that help in the mix?

Linda

Linda..

Don't know what to think. What does the onc. say? I know that a hemetologist is a blood doctor. And onc. is a cancer doctor. Some of the oncologists have hemetologist in back of that title. Are all oncologists hemetologists?

Good luck. Just don't know what to think for her. But, it sounds like prof. help is needed.

Cindi o'h

b-12 and/or Iron can not hurt but make sure to let your Onc know about it. Deb took Iron Supps all the time daily. do not think there was side effects. Following Link is for Clinical For Epoitin Alfa a new aranesp type drug and they are recruiting. Not sure if Criteria is met but you would know that. Good Luck and saying prayers as always.

http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct/show/NCT00255749

Printed the clinical trial info. out, Randy, to check further......her history of need for packed red blood cell transfusions is contraindicated for participation in the study at my first quick glance....gonna' study the particulars further though.

Cindi, the onc. has said nothing and he has a hemotology background too (I found out about this "chronic dx" today to any degree of my understanding from the PA at the center and a one-page lab history report I got that goes back to early April -- weekly lab reports haven't put the pieces together for me like this one did today). Our transfusion and Aranesp shot history now makes sense to me in light of this information today.

Linda

During my 1st round of treatment I needed Aranesp shots and they brought my counts to the minimum required to continue treatment. After 8 weekly treatments, Onc thought it would be best to give me a 4 week recovery period with no chemo. I have started another 6 weeks of treatment and this time around I am taking Chromagen which is an iron, B-12 supplement and it seems to be working as well as the Arensep. You may want to ask your Onc if this is something that could be added to your mother’s regime.

Just a thought on the shakes and high blood sugar levels. You might want to consider a diabetic protein drink like Glucerna (if your Mom is having something other than that). That's what we get for my Dad who is diabetic. It's a good source of protein but without the sugar. It also helps regulate blood sugar.

Best thoughts and prayers,

Lynda

Thomas takes Folic, B12, B6, & L-Glutamine.

Completed 6 rounds of Taxotere and so far blood counts are borderline. I think it might be helping a little bit. With this beast, you just won't know. A good thing can make turn in a blink of an eye. Ask you PCP if B12 shots weekly is appropriate. Thomas get a B-12 shots from his PCP every Friday.

God Bless

Malou

Hey Linda:

When my Mom's electrolytes dip on her they restrict her fluid intake to 1.25 litres per day. In that she would drink things like Gatorade etc. to replenish them. She really had to police her fluid though as she had a tendency to go over.

Good luck sorting it out, prayers for you two,

Deb

Thanks for all of the great replies. Got to my chiropractor today and he is gonna' take a look at the lab history I've got and see what he makes of it as well before our next onc. appointment on Monday. We had quite a discussion about all of your suggestions and so he's gonna' see if he can put the pieces together for me so I am clear on mom's particulars (mom is/was a patient of his as well). He's not just a chiropractor: he's got loads of extra training in his background that is really useful when it comes to stuff like this -- I just don't usually get to see him in a timely manner when things like this crop up. He's as hard to get a hold of as any other "doctor" out there.

Deb: mom ran across the restricted fluid intake stuff in her past and I sure hope we don't end up having to do that again -- boy did she hate that and rebelled like you wouldn't believe, including trying to get me to sneak her lots of extras -- when I wouldn't, she got mad at me!!!

Linda