radiation burn

Don M

Don:

Mom was advised to use Aveeno for her skin during chemo/radiation by the staff at WWO/Radiantcare. You can buy that at the local RiteAid drugstore. It seems to be working for her so far, but she is only into 9 of her 22 planned radiation treatments so I am hard pressed to say how it will really work when she gets further down the line with radiation skin issues.

Aveeno does appear to be a longer-lasting, more complete skin soothing substance than the many other skin creams mom has used in the past (I've had many sessions of putting creams on her in the past, even before all of this LC stuff started...including creams she's been Rx'd by a dermotologist for sensitive skin issues).

Be warned: read the Aveeno brand labels....there are a couple of formulations....one of them has alcohol-based or some other obvious drying agent in it and I just didn't buy that one ... the ingredients list just sounded not kind to sensitive skin from this chemo/radiation stuff -- I assure you, it was obvious when reading the ingredient list. I've only had to buy the stuff once so far (sorry for being so vague on this issue)... I see mom again tomorrow.....I'll try to get the exact name of what I bought for her......

Hope this helps,

Linda

Don,

I was given Aquaphor by the Radiation Onc....I had 38 radiation treatments. It really worked for me. They told me not to put it on before treatment but afterwards. You can by it at any drug store. It is not greasy either.

I hope this helps...

Karen

I was told to buy an aloe plant (99cents at walmart) and pinch the tip off of a branch..the aloe flows out the pinched area. This worked well but on my own I tried Neurtogena Body Emulsion. It worked great. To each his own I guess.

Good luck.

Nina

Hi Don.

I am very fair skinned. I had 3rd degree burns on my chest and neck. I had burn wound treatments after each day of my last weeks' treatments. They used something similar to aquaphor for the burns. The point is to keep the skin moist so that the epithelial cells will migrate into the wounded zones.

A nurse friend of mine had radiation to her neck with burns. She was given aquaphor for her burns.

Keep the area lubricated. However, before your treatments, wash off any lubrication as this will tend to increase the burning. Then re-lube as soon as you are done.

Do you see a nurse on a weekly or prn basis? Ask your rad staff about this. They deal with this often, I am sure.

Sorry you are getting red already. bummer.

Cindi o'h

Don,

Alan had a big black burn on his back from the radiation treatments.

Aleo gel worked best for him, gave him more relief

than the stuff the radiation oncologist gave him. you

might have to try a few products to figure out what

works for you.

Don:

I got the specifics I promised you today: the Aveeno I mentioned is called daily skin moisturing formulation (the one with oatmeal in it) -- the tube is off-white with a green cap.

Since we also had an appointment with the radiation oncologist today, I asked about this as well since mom needs to understand this better too: The doc. recommends the Aveeno or aloe. He also told us to not apply anything to the radiation treated skin two hours before a treatment or it will make the burn potential worse (I think someone here mentioned the not before a treatment thing already as well).

Hope you are doing well with your treatments and that this helps,

Linda

Thanks for your tips everyone. I asked the nurse about it yesterday and she gave me a tube of aloe vera. I am going to try that stuff. After all, it is free...sort of.

There sure is a wealth of information and experience on this board. I think it is great. Yay Katie. Yay Rick.

Don M

Hey Don,

I know I am a little late with response but I wantd to let you know what we did during radiation. My mom was very diligent about treating the radiated area. We used Aquaphor and she would apply every day after radiation. Not before because we were instructed to wait until after. I never got burned on the outside, just really bad on the inside. I did get a little tan.

GOD BLESS!!

Jamie

I was told to use the Aquaphor if I burned. To use the 100?% Aloe Vera before treatment. Also you can order Sween Cream at the pharmacy. It does not require a prescription but you do have to order it and it usually takes 24 hours to receive your order.

The radiation oncology nurse gave me some sterile gel pads, like jello bandaids, that were to be stored in the refrigerator, and these cool moist gel pads laid over the burns brought tremendous relief.

My burns (25 days) got pretty bad since I had been sleeping on a heating pad (a big no no) which caused the skin to break down some. That made it easier for the skin to burn. So I had to do the domesboro salt (sterile) soaks with sterile gauze after it became open, and then follow with the gel, leaving those on as long as they would stay.

This too, passed.

XOXOXOX

MaryAnn

The radiation doctor had given my father this special cream that they had to mix for him and we even continued to use it when he had some flare ups after the radiation was finished. I am sorry i cannot remember the name.

cathy

Hi Don,

I had radiation to my chest in Nov 2003. I have a round scar on my back between my shoulder blades which is six inches in diameter. They blasted the crap out of me and it worked. I had stage III . So far so good. It was really hard , but I'm here and it was worth it. I tryed aloe and it helped alittle, but the burn cream I used was better, and I can't remember the name(ask onco radiologist) but oxicon helped the most.LOL . Good luck and take care.

Mare