very nervous today

Shirlie

Today is my first of 4 chemo treatments I am going to get one every 21 days. I feel good that it is only 4 treatments. Getting Taxol and Carboplatin.

I know what they are going to do to me, but I don't know what it is going to do to me. Makes me very nervous. I have read a lot of posts on here while snooping before registering. Thanks for sharing the things you have experienced. I did receive a lot of literature about chemo for Moffitt but to hear from people that are going through it is more help than you can get from any book.

Shirlie, Wishing the best of luck with this treatment.

Like Ginny said, drink lots of water or juice. Also, take your anti-nausea medications on schedule, even if you don't feel like you need them just yet. My husband use to take them first thing upon waking up. We found that the nausea was easier controlled before it happened. The meds work well at keeping it from happening, but once nausea sets in, the meds do not do as great a job of getting rid of it.

Instead of eating 3 normal meals each day, eat small amounts every couple of hours to keep something in your stomach, even if you're not hungry. It also helps with the nausea.

Saying prayers that all goes well, and that this is tolerated wonderfully.

I received Cisplatin & Etoposide via long IV sessions every 21 days (actually the etoposide was 3 straight days every 21 days, the Cisplatin once ever 21 days).

I found that I was just a little tired the first day (antinasea meds really did the trick...no feeling sick at all). Days 2-5 I felt like I had the flu and pretty much just took it easy (reading, sleeping, watching TV). After about day 7 I started feeling alot better.

I was VERY hungry and was craving foods I don't normally eat; Slim Jims from Big Boy's, Broasted Chicken Breasts (ate a ton of that)...and frosty's from Wendy's.)

One thing I didnt expected and no one explained to me was the effect of the steriods...when coming off of those I became very moody (just ask Gina ;) )

I do remember putting on weight. Starting losing my hair after about 2 weeks...

The Taxtotere experience later on was much different (alot more tired, water retention and aches in the ankle and knees and very low blood counts)...

However, I think Cisplatin and Carboplatin are very similiar to each other.

One more thing...getting the large doses every 21 days is different than getting smaller doses weekly(more side effects ...but also more chemo umphhh)

Hope this helps.... Joe

Hi Shirlie,

Try not to be nervous about it. Most people find it unpleasant. And some get sicker and feel yuckier than others.. and then there is jimben, :D he wears a superman suit to bed!

Can't describe what it feels like. It is like trying to explain to someone what snow feels like when they have never seen an icecube.

It will be your own. And then you will know.

You will be okay..remember you have us.

Cindi o'h

I feel the premeds saved me from real discomfort. I know I had zofran for nausea in addition to the pills, plus lorazepam for anxiety and I think benadryl (?). Once after the first dose I told the oncologist about terrible pain in the ears, he prescribed ethyol, which made it much easier on my ears. I believe they also gave me 2L fluid IV before starting the cisplatin, that's why those days were so long. I was on a monday-monday sched. Monday I got cisplatin and VP16/etoposide, tues-fri VP 16 alone, Mon I got half dose cisplatin plus etoposide/VP 16. That was end of week1/beg week 2. I got next round on day 29 -- Monday. I only had a rough time at all in the morning after the first whammy -- I had to not gag brushing my teeth, then I was okay.

Good luck to you.

XOXOX

MaryAnn

Everything went good yesterday. I didn't need to get nervous about at all. I didn't have any reaction to any of the drugs. It was a very long day they started 2 hours late something about paper work and we didnt get home untill 9:30 last night.

My face is very red this morning any suggestions on what that is. I have reread all of my literature and can't find anything about it anywhere.

I feel fine but I did take nausea med this am after breakfast. Hope I am not starting it too soon. I did go and buy a box of gingersnap cookies,and some gingerale.

Thanks for all the prayers, and advice. I will keep you updated on the side effects (if I have any) maybe I won"t

Hi Shirlie:

Your face is probably red from Decodron, a steroid given to help you tolerate chemo more easily. I would turn red as a beat the day after chemo. I found that taking a couple of Benadryl helped; it also made me very drowsy, which was a good thing, because the Decodron also caused tremendous roid rage in me. Good luck with the treatments.

Trish

Hi Shirlie,

I agree with Trish. It is the steroid. (They use that to pre-empt an allergic reaction). It causes the steroid flush on your face and probably neck. You will get this after each infusion and then it will go away today or tomorrow.

The steroid may also cause some jitteriness for a couple of days, some restlessness, maybe an increase in compulsive thoughts or behaviors, perhaps some anger that seems to come from nowhere. There are many side effects of steroids. Thankfully, you are on them for short bursts and the side effects will soon leave you.

Good to hear it went well for you, Shirlie.

Cindi o'h

Hi Shirlie,

I'm glad the chemo went well. I had the same apprehension and found I was easily able to tolerate the chemo. Initially I was on carboplatin and gemcitibeine and now I'm on Alimta (at Moffitt). Bothe had negligible side effects except my blood counts took a beating on the carbo/gem, so they had to switch me - but that was after 8 or 9 cycles.

Hang in there!

Mary

Be careful because the Nausea Meds make you drowsy. Deb took Promethazine and went to sleep after breakfast. Up for dinner and a pil and back to bed until we found out about drowsiness.

Do drink plenty of water. It does help. I also found it helpful to take Aleve. I took it before I had any pain for about three days straight. Sure did help.