Cancer growing again

Guest kathleen

Guest kathleen

Once again, thank you for your insight and passing hope my way. I have been having a hard time knowing how to feel. Hopeful? or stupid that I can't come to grips with what is happening? No, I am not ready to accept the end. I probably never will be!

It gives me a lot of hope to know Carleen that your husband has been met free that long. I know age is not on Mom's side but she is very resilient. Physically she is sooo strong.

And if it means only 5 more minutes with the best person I've ever known I will take it!

Love to ALL of you and sending prayers your way as well!

How very lucky I am to have found this site. The encouragement from "type written word" is priceless!!!!!!!

k

Guest kathleen

Sorry, it is hard to get this stuff straight. Not MET free, but MET stable!

Did ANY OF US think we would become so familiar with this hiddeous disease?

Guest kathleen

I'm so tired I am not responding very intelligently :)

Mom has 5 mets. 4 very tiny and one larger one about an inch.

She will have 10 treatments for the next 10 workdays (she had her 2nd today)

If after six weeks it is still there they will do a radio----? surgery. Not sure if gamma or cyber knife.

Guest kathleen

Thank you all. My Mom was excellent yesterday. She is going home today and will be so happy. Her oncologist confirmed what you have said. That the disease can't be cured but the mets are very treatable. so yes! I feel better. Here's hoping she has many good days ahead!

Also, I fired the internal medicine doctor that was such a Jack A** and made us feel like Mom had 2 days to live. That felt wonderful :)

sending prayers to you all,

k

Thanks for the update Katleen. I am glad your mom gets to go home and that you have an onc who is willing to address the mets. Just be vigilant and stay on top of them, and your mom should have years of survival quality time ahead.

Don M

Hi Kate,

So glad that your Mom is being well taken care of. Sorry about the roller coaster ride that does seem to go along with this disease.

Cling to hope and courage. Congratulate yourself for the wisdom and courage it took to fire the inconsiderate internist. Remain a steadfast advocate for your Mom.

Congrats on your parents' big anniversary.

Will hope along with you that the brain treatments will obliterate all cancer cells in her noggin. I am in agreement with DonM that the 2mm change on the CT scan of the lung tumor is insignificant.... wait and see on that.

Cindi o'h

Guest kathleen

Mom has been home since Saturday. She is a little confused, ie, keeps thinking she is somewhere else, not her home, trouble using the tv, but then could make coffee. She isn't as talkative as usual, but is up and about still wanting to go walking.

Can anyone tell me, once the radiation is completed and she is off the steroids, is it likely she will be less mixed up? How long will it take to recover from radiation? I don't know much about it. Thanks!

Having a hard time with this, so very scared she won't return to how she was prior to this turn of events....

• 5 weeks later...

Hello Kathleen,

How is your mom doing? I hope she is improving. I've been thinking about you.

We went away to the beach for a week and I feel much more refreshed. I still don't really feel like my mother is gone. I don't know why but it just doesn't feel real. Even though I know she is gone I still go into her bedroom and say good night and that I love her. I know it sounds crazy but it makes me feel closer to her.

Let me know how you and your family are doing.

Rosemary

Are there any mets outside of the lungs?

If the cancer is confined to the lungs *maybe* Tarceva is worth a try? Can't really say obviously but something to ask the doctor about

Sometimes a cancer called BAC will only spread slowly and stay in the lungs. Tarceva is supposed to work well on this type of cancer

It might not be right for your mom but can't hurt to ask the Dr what he thinks.

• 2 weeks later...

If it were my mom, (who died over a year ago, with lung cancer) considering her age and the stage of cancer, I would enjoy the time she has NOW to do things that are fun and with loved ones, while she is able. Why go thru the suffering that the treatment brings, when she could be doing things and enjoying life? It seems to me that the quality of life rather than the quantity of life is most important NOW! Go and do something fun with her that you will have to remember, and you will probably be so glad you did. I wish that I could've done that with my mom, but is was too late when we found out, she only lasted a month after diagnosis, and she never had any treatment. I wish you and your mom the best that life has to offer right now!

Tess

Guest kathleen

Mom's cancer started in the bladder, traveled to the lungs and now the brain.

she is getting stronger but it was tough those first few weeks during and after radiation. She does seem to be improving. But still weak, not eating as well as she could be but her mind seems to be clearing.

We have contacted Hospice. At first I did not like this idea - I didn't want to hear the 'H' word - but her Oncologist says that Medicare will cover a person for Hospice if there is the possibility of death within 6 months - however he stressed to Mom that she was under no obligation to do so.........I thought that was a neat way to put it. Dad and I could certainly use the help. And I think Mom will enjoy the people from Hospice and hoping its good to get to know them BEFORE it gets worse rather than after.

She will not be doing anymore treatment. We hope she will now recover from radiation and that we can enjoy some quality time together.

In fact, I am getting married two weeks from this Saturday and very happy that my Mom will be able to enjoy the day with us. Our original date was September 9th but we moved it up when the cancer spread to her brain. I WANT HER THERE!!!! It took me 40 years to find the love of my life. So glad my Mom (85) and Dad (84) can share this time with us! Although, my Dad is having trouble letting go, but I won't go into THAT now.

Rosemary - I'm glad you had a good vacation and I do not think it odd at all that you go into your Mom's room and say goodnight and that you love her. In fact I find that quite normal! I hope you are healing and doing better now. I think of you often too. Please PM me whenever you want. I didn't see your post here right away.

Kate

• 1 month later...

Kate,

Congratulations on your wedding. I'm so glad that you are able to have the service with your mother.

By the way, I have had radiosurgery - twice. There is no pain at all. I was immobilized for the treatment - but other than being the discomfit of a metal fram on your head, it wasn't painful. The treatment was about 15 minutes for each met. Then they take off the metal fram, but on a little round bandage and sent you on your way. They warn about possible headaches - but I was out shopping the next day.

I can also say that my brain MRI was given as soon as I was diagnosed. And since the radio surgery, I have them every 3 months.

Best of luck to all of you!

Mary