update

Jim's sister has been in ICU for more than 4 weeks since her second LC surgery. She was intubated several times but when removed she was unable to breathe enough on her own to keep her off vent. They did a tracheotomy last weekend. Keeping her heavily sedated and when sedation is reduced she is not coherent and gets panicky. Family has made decision to remove life support today and made arrangements for services. Only 2 months since Jim passed so this is especially poignant for all our family as she was here for Jim's services. They did her surgery thinking the new growth was small but when they got in found it had spread so much in those few weeks that they had to remove more lung tissue than expected. Everyone struggling with the decision to have the surgery thinking she might have had more time -- the "if onlys"! I (and all our kids)are now at peace with all our decisions for Jim and grateful he did not have to experience weeks of pain and machines and drugs and that he died peacefully. The grief and sadness persist... I miss his laughter so very much. The family will move ahead with plans for a celebration of his life in the summer, and combine it with a celebration of his sister's life as well.

Sandy

Sandy...so hard you are going through all of these hard times. This is such a heavy burden for you and your family to carry. I am remembering you in my prayers.

Prayers from under the Carolina Blue sky. I know how hard this is right now. Prayers For Peace in this tumultuous time for everyone.

Jim's loving sister left this world at 5:45 this afternoon. Marsha was my dear, dear friend as well as the most affectionate sister in law I could have asked for. She was the sister I never had. I know that Jim was waiting there for her and that they are both with their mother and grandmother right now, smiling and thinking of ways to send their love and blessings to us. Her passing was peaceful at last and she was surrounded by her husband, children, and remaining brother. My heart is overflowing as I sit next to my beautiful 37 year old daughter's bedside where she is hospitalized now for side effects from Taxotere after having to undergo a bilateral mastectomy for breast cancer. I want to rage against this awful, awful disease and how it can take and hurt good and loving people. I need to find a way to keep believing that there is some kind of grand plan that makes sense but it gets harder and harder. Jim's sister fought a brave battle for nearly 7 years after being diagnosed at stage 4 NSCLC -- we know that we were blessed that she beat the odds in so many ways and every additional day we had with her was a gift, so maybe that's the "grand plan" - to just be grateful for the gifts of their lives, and that we had a chance to let them know and for them to let us know how much love we all shared.

Sandy

Sandy I am so so very sorry.

She is free from pain and suffering now, and she is with Jim and surrounded by love now as she was surrounded by love here during her transition.

I am glad she was at peace at the end, and I now pray that God grant peace and comfort to you and her family at this difficult time.

God Bless