A Long Walk

Frank Lamb

I thought I would take a few minutes and relate something that happened to me last week.

I joined a golf league that my son-in-law sponsors this year.All the members are healthy and range in age from early 20's to late 30's.This truly makes me the old man of the group. :roll:

Last Thursday (game nite)after about 12 days of hard rain the golf course mgt.decided they would not allow motorized carts on the course.This meant I would have to either go home or WALK.

As those of you that know me would guess I opted to walk (only 9 holes but very hilly).After only 4 long and hilly holes I was having very serious doubts about my surviving this idiotic choice I had made.

The 5th hole was very long and steep uphill.I thought my heart was going to explode and I was getting light headed and dizzy.My opponent came over and asked if I was ok and would I allow him to pull my hand pulled cart up the rest of the hill.A very nice gesture. :oops:

I thanked him but said no,I would either make it on my own or drop over trying 8).He asked what should he do if I didn't make it and I promptly told him no way did I want him trying any kind of mouth to mouth. :shock:

Some how I made it,I have no idea how other than it was so difficult I was actually praying I wouldn't croak so I'm pretty sure God had something to do with it.I also made it the rest of the way.

Back at the clubhouse over a cold bud lite they all gave me a standing ovation clapping and cheering,even tho I had lost the match.(only by 2 shots).

I think the moral of this story is even tho I have no intention of ever trying that again any time soon it is truly amazing what we can accomplish.Even with only 1 cancerous lung I realized I had done the same thing every one healthier and younger had done.

It may be uncomfortable,it may even hurt a lot,but if we have faith and really,really try hard we can do amazing things in our somewhat hindered condition. :P

You have done us ALL proud, Frank! What you accomplished ~ you accomplished for each and every one of us. THANK YOU!!! And a great big CONGRATULATIONS as well :P !!! Amazing the things we are grateful for now, isn't it? You are a true role model, Frank. I'm so happy for you that you accomplished that goal.....now DON'T try that again :? .

Love,

Kasey

Wow Frank, I'll join the standing ovation.

I'm so proud to "know" you and I'm raising my glass to you...........you are truly an inspiration.

Now you pull that stunt again and we'll have to form a posse and smack some sense into you!!

Geri

Good for you Frank! You must feel pretty good about yourself, and you should!

And, even though you were exhausted, you only lost by two shots? I'd call that a victory in itself!

Cindy

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.

Frank, I was just reading this quote in my doctor's office earlier and then I read your post. When I read the quote, I wrote it down, I thought that it was so fitting for everyone on this site, and why we keep going forward. I think that only us know how scary it must have been for you to set foot out on the golf course today knowing the effort that lay ahead. You've got courage Frank, and integrity. But I knew that all along...

Continue being a power of example for my whiny *ss Frank, okay? I was huffing and puffing because I walked up 3 flights of stairs today and look at you!

Friggin overachiever!! :wink:

Talk about proud :!::!:

Do you have any idea how much hope and inspiration you offer to the people here??

It's easy to see why you are such a loved and respected man, I hope I'll be invited when you reach that 100th Birthday goal of yours :D:D

Kathy

How many Fingers am I holding Up Frank? Sorry heard that on the radio followed by; Get up Billy. CONGRATULATIONS ON THAT FEAT. Will Be easier next time if ya wait a while. So very proud of ya for doing that. Be carefuul In the Future. They made you a game winner anyway in my book.