Green Tea

Hebbie

Everyone seems to be aware of the health benefits of green tea -- I recently bought an actual Green Tea book in the store -- about 100 pages, all about green tea (can you believe they actually make such a book??? :o ) Anyway, while it was VERY informative regarding the benefits of tea -- and had a few pages dedicated to tea and lung cancer, I get confused when it comes to tea bags vs. loose tea leaves vs. green tea extract. Does anyone really understand the difference? Is one tea really better than the other? Any green tea experts out there??? :wink:

Guest Michael

I've been drinking Green Tea for many years long before we understood the benefit. I make a 1/2 Gallon of Iced Geeen Tea using tea bags (20 tea bags for each 1/2 gallon) since I drink so much of it. I drink about 16 oz each day. The best of course is a high quality of loose Green Tea. The more expensive, the best. But I'm quite satisfied with tea bags. I also drink hot Green Tea especially in the Winter. I drink Green Tea with just lemon (absolutely NO sugar). I live near an Asian Market and purchase 100 Tea Bags for just $2.59 so drinking Green Tea is very economical. There's no question that drinking Green Tea is very good for your health. The most potent Green Tea is in the form of the Tincture Bottle but I'm still a fan of good old Tea Bag. Regardless of Tea Bags, Loose Tea or Tincture DRINK GREEN TEA. If I may suggest another product, let me suggest Selenium. This trace mineral is a very potent antioxidant that fights cancer. A tablet of 200 mcg cost just 4 cents. You will be hearing a lot about selenium as a cancer fighter. At 4 cents a day you have nothing to lose. Happy Green Tea Drinking.

My Dad is drinking Green Tea (leaves, not tea bag). This is organic. I don't know the exact benefits of Green Tea and I just know this is good only. But I can tell, the quality of Green Tea is important, I read a news regarding the origin of Green Tea, if the soil is bad (something harmful elements in the soil that put in by farmers), then the leaves will make negative impact instead....etc.

Actually, I don't know what origin of leaves are good and what are bad, BUT, I think quality means something and if you can afford, you should buy higher price GREEN TEA leaves. Becoz higher price to the extent means higher quality. Morever, get the HOT one is better than COLD one (very ideal). You could add in some honey inside.

Guest Michael

You can purchase loose Green Tea online. Just type in the words: Green Tea. I plan to purchase some myself. I once visited an Asian home that only used loose tea. What a difference. The one they were using costs $25.00 an ounce but was told an ounce goes a very long way. It was actually Green. The cheap teabags that I use (100 bags for $2.59) produce a brownish tea.

Guest Michael

There are several website for loose green tea. www.japanesegreenteaonline.com, www.harney.com, www.thefragrantleaf.com and www.specialteas.com. The most expensive and probably the best is japanesegreenteaonline. I live about an hour from a huge Asian community and plan to visit and purchase onsite. The fragrantleaf has 2 oz for $12.00 or a sample for just $3.00. I plan on purchasing an ounce of an expensive tea. I'm told that the higher the quality the less you use and you can use it twice. If I can spend $25.00 for a bottle of Stoly Vodka then why not spend $25 for an ounce of good loose tea (LOL) that will enhance my health. Again, the site that most impressed me is the Japanese site. I'm amazed at all the reports that I've read regarding the benefits of Green Tea. I mostly drink it iced with just lemon even in the winter. I also drink soy milk which is another healthy drink. Have it in my cereal every morning. It does contain some sugar but not very much and I only use about 4 oz. Occasionally, I even drink Rice Milk. Seems when it comes to healthy drinks, the Asians have there act together.

Thanks so much for the information -- yes, the Asians certainly do seem to have their acts together much better than us junk food eating Americans... :wink:

I will check out the website you suggested. I drink about 3 cups a day, and just started trying it iced -- I like it! I have heard that the better the tea, the more benefit. I also heard that the decaffenated tea is not as beneficial.

I started using Vanilla Soy milk in my cereal each morning about 6 months ago and recently switched to regular soy milk. Half the sugar of vanilla and doesn't taste much different now that I am used to it. (Actually -- regular (cows) milk has more sugar than the soy!)

Hi

Maybe you would like to look into Capsibiol-t . It's a Green tea/ Chili pepper combo in a clinical trial. If you go to the link below you will see that the info comes from a guy named Ron. Ron has followed the progress of Dr Morre and Capsibiol-t for a long time now and knows alot about it. If you would like to ask him some questions just go to the discussion forum and enter, To Ron Capsibiol-t and he will answer sooner or later.

http://www.ovca.net/arcthread02.cfm?thr ... messages=4

How ironic -- Found this article today relating to Green Tea!!

Anticancer effects of green tea may relate to blockage of hydrocarbon receptor

Reuters Health

Posting Date: August 8, 2003

Last Updated: 2003-08-08 11:30:20 -0400 (Reuters Health)

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Green tea contains compounds that impair the transcription activity of the aryl hydrocarbon receptor (AhR)-a molecule known to mediate the carcinogenic effects of tobacco smoke and dioxin, according to a new report.

Although epidemiologic studies have not provided a clear link between green tea use and cancer risk, there is evidence from laboratory studies that green tea may protect against malignancy. Still, the mechanisms involved as well as the responsible chemicals are poorly understood.

The current findings, which are published in the July 21st issue of Chemical Research in Toxicology, are based on a study of green tea's effects in mice transfected with hepatoma cells.

Dr. Thomas A. Gasiewicz and colleagues, from the University of Rochester in New York, tested green tea extracts in the animals and found that several fractions were capable of reducing AhR's transcription activity.

Further analysis revealed that the most potent AhR antagonists were epigallocatechingallate and epigallcatechin --two of the most abundant chemicals found in green tea. The researchers found that the anti-AhR effects of the two compounds are apparent at levels typically found in a cup of green tea. How such levels translate into levels in the body after drinking green tea remains unclear.

"Future studies will focus on the exact mechanism by which these compounds alter AhR structure, function, and complex formation to ultimately inhibit AhR transcription of endogenous genes and help in the identification or even synthesis of more potent chemopreventive agents," the authors conclude.

Chem Res Toxicol 2003;16:865-872.

Guest Michael

Very interesting 08-08 article. Thanks for posting. This afternoon, I read yet another brief article in a Vitamin Shoppe newsletter:

A CUP OF TEA HELPS BOOST T CELLS

"While conventional wisdom says an apple a day keeps the doctor away, evidence is mounting that a cup of tea may be a better way to go.

Researchers at Harvard University and the Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston have discovered yet another way that drinking tea is good for you. A study published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences in April found that a substance in tea may help fight infection and strengthen the body's immune system.

In initial in vitro tests, researchers mixed damma delta T cells, a main weapen for the immune system, with ethylamine, which is produced when the liver breaks down the amino acid L-theanine. L-theanine is found in high concentrations in black, green, oolong and pekole teas. It's also found in bacteria, vegetables and wine.

The mixture resulted in tenfold increase in gamma delta T cells, producing high levels of disease fighting chemicals and a stronger immune response.

Subsequent tests compared volunteers who consumed approximately 20 ounces of tea to a group drinking coffee. After four weeks, blood samples from the tea drinkers showed five times more disease-fighting chemicals than samples from the coffee drinkers."

I'm looking forward to seeing many more tea articles. I'm impressed that Harvard and Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston did this study. No more coffee for me (LOL). Tomorrow, I travel to a large Chinese Community for loose Green Tea.

Green Tea

At one time, aspirin was credited with feats thought uncommon to green tea, that is, the ability to inhibit the COX-2 enzyme. However, salicylic acid (the main anti-inflammatory component of aspirin) is a naturally occurring compound found in green tea, having COX-2 inhibiting qualities. The polyphenols and flavonoids contained in green tea are also COX-2 inhibitors (Noreen et al. 1998).

Mayo Clinic researchers (reporting in Cancer Letters) joined a record-breaking numbers of scientists in showing that green tea consumption inhibited cancer growth (Paschka et al. 1998). The Mayo team identified the green tea polyphenol EGCG (epigallocatechin gallate) as the most potent inhibitor of cancer cell proliferation. Japanese researchers pinpointed the types of cancer most responsive to green tea (breast, esophageal, liver, lung, skin, and stomach) by surveying cancer-free individuals who consumed 4-6 cups of green tea a day.

In 1991, at a meeting of the American Chemical Society, researchers reported that cigarette smokers who drink green tea have a 45% lower risk of lung cancer compared to nontea drinkers. Even though Japan has one of the highest numbers of smokers in the world, they have one of the lowest rates of lung cancer of any developed nation, a protection thought to be delivered by green tea.

The number of anticarcinogens, antioxidants, and antiproliferative agents found in green tea (carot-enoids, chlorophyll, polysaccharides, vitamins C and E, and numerous flavonoids) explains why some researchers advocate using a broad spectrum extract, replicating the plant's total constituents. Considering the vastness of green tea's effects, incorporating green tea into the diet (5-10 cups a day or five 350-mg capsules three times a day of a 95% polyphenol extract) appears to be wisdom for individuals concerned with cancer.

• 2 weeks later...

hi, i could give you a hand to buy green tea loose leaf from hong kong and ship to your appointed address. The price is far cheaper than U.S., (certainly shipping cost is a fixed cost that the more you buy the lower the shipping cost).

Here in Hong Kong for a bag of ORGANIC Green Tea Loose Leaf weighted 3.5oz (100g) costs only US$7.00 (excluding shipping cost), I could buy for you guys here. If you are interested, feel free to send personal message (PM) to me directly. :D

P.S. the shipping cost of express parcel from here to U.S. is around US$20 for 10 bags (estimated), the final shipping cost could be checked.

• 2 months later...

Im coming into this post late, but I thought Id add my two cents for anyone interested.

Ive only just begun researching alternative treatments for my dad. A wonderful young lady in the health food store helped me today (I really feel God put her in my path). I bought green tea, but in capsule form because you get a much higher dosage of that precious ECGC. My father will take it 3xper day.

Hi Linda,

Thanks for resurecting my post! :wink:

I just read this past week about "Matcha" which is powdered green tea leaves. Apparenty is it the "most effective way" to experience health benefits of green tea because it is concentrated. Instead of dunking a bag of leaves in your cup and discarding them, the Matcha is completely consumed after whisking it in hot water.

*I also read that green tea is a crop that is often sprayed with a wide variety of chemicals so when buying green tea, try to stick with the organic brands.

• 4 months later...

I have recently begun seeing an Integrative Doctor through a University Hospital in Philadelphia. Integrative Doctors believe in treating the WHOLE person, not just individual symptoms. Among several other nutritional supplements, he has recommended that I take a Green Tea Liquid Extract. One droperful into warm water makes a cup of tea equivalent to 15 cups of regular green teabag tea -- and has no caffiene.

I just went onto the website to order the product and it sounds pretty interesting. I am attaching the weblink below. Hope I'm doing it right...

http://www.herbasway.com/green_tea.htm