CT Results- Question

Nancy B

Hi all, if this needs to be moved to another forum, please do so - wasn't sure where to put it.

I had my regular 3 month scans last week. I don't see the oncologist until Thursday, but I picked up the written report last Friday.

It says "There is a probable left hilar lymph node measuring 1.6 cm, slightly larger compared to prior study" There has never been a mention of ANY lymph nodes in any "prior study" I had so many lymph nodes taken out with my first surgery (upper left lobectomy-all negative), that my surgeon said there wasn't much to take out with the wedge resection the second time.

I guess I am just looking for....I don't know what I am looking for!!! Do you think this is something that they will want to biopsy? Remember, second time I had sclc, so I sure don't want to wait around on this. My second tumor was 1 cm, isn't this kinda big (1.6 cm) for a lymph node?

Don't know what I would do without you guys. Thanks, I love you all!

Nancy B

Have some ideas, Nancy, when you see the oncologist and discuss it. If you aren't satisfied, get another opinion. My question would be, do lymph nodes in the trunk swell when they are "working" like the ones in the neck do when a person is sick?

Take care, try not to worry yet!

Becky, thanks for your reply. It's the only one I got before everything went to ...... anyway. I am having PET scan on Tuesday morning and if it lights up, then they will have to figure out a way to get a piece of it to biopsy. I have had both nsclc and sclc, so, if it is c. then they have to figure out which one to treat it appropriately. Thanks Becky.

Hugs,

Nancy B

Nancy:

I have had several 1.5 cm lymph nodes for some time now. They don't change much. Maybe the radiologist who did your report this time is different from the guy who did it before and the previous guy never made any mention of it. I suspect it is nothing to worry about and the PET scan will allay your fears.

Don M

Hi Nancy,

I know that when I took my first CT to my surgeon, he said he felt my lymphnodes were "borderline enlarged." This was not in the radiologist's report. The surgeon took about 15 nodes during my surgery, and since he was thinking there may be a problem with them, I'm sure he was quite thorough. All came back negative. It's just a guess, but I think they might enlarge when they're fighting an irritation or infection or something and you may never even know it.

Cindy

Hi Nancy, I don't have any advice or knowledge to share, but I wanted to let you know that I will be saying prayers for you that tomorrows test go well. I am praying that the Pet shows no hot spots and it is just infection enlarging those lymph nodes.

I do know that lymph nodes enlarge when fighting infection. I myself have one in my neck that enlarged like a goiter a couple of years ago. I went racing into the doctor's office convinced that I too had cancer. It turned out I had a sinus infection. :roll:

(((Nancy))) I know how hard it is to go through all this testing waiting and anxiety. We love you and are here supporting you with all our hearts.

Nancy, let us know how the PET goes. Try not to panic yet.

Just FYI, I had a spinal MRI in March for some tingling and it showed "mild cervical adenopathy, most likely reactive or post inflamatory in the absence of malignancy". The largest was 1.3. Naturally I freaked out, called my mom's oncologist, he looked at the films and said they look normal, often lymph nodes are a litlte enlarged when they are working. He then followed up by manually feeling my neck at my mom's appointment in April and felt nothing to worry about.

I too had enlarged lymph nodes about 2 years after my surgery---the Dr. went in through my neck to examine (forget what you call it)--and all was clear-

probably just an infection---they since went down on the next scan--

I think that this probably happens more than we know--except most don't get scanned--

scans are great, however, they will show things that are non-problematic---

I hope your results show nothing abnormal