I have a small cell cancer

Hi Meredith,

Welcome here. I am another one who never heard of your kind of cancer but know you have enlightened us about it. We learn something new everyday.

I am really sorry that this happened to you but it seems under control. Best of luck with your scans.

Keep us posted.

Maryanne :wink:

meredith,

I'm new here and to cancer and still trying to grapple with my own diagnosis but I will send prayers and although I have lung cancer all cancer is terrible. My grandmother died in 1929 of another very rare cancer. Cancer of the Vulva. Back then there was not much for treatments. I pray every day for a cure for all of us. Hugs.

Lilly

Meredith,

I am so sorry to hear of all you have been through! You sound like a proactive individual, though, very determined and intelligent. Knowledge is power--I think you are a shining example of what happens when you put all of these qualities into action. Welcome to the boards!

I want to invite you, as a fellow "Infertile Myrtle," to a site very dear to my heart. I've been posting on IVF Connections for 7 years now, and learned a lot over those years. I had boy/girl twins in 2001 and just gave birth to a son in March, which sadly happened just 26 days after losing my mom to NSCLC. I also lost my dad to NSCLC in 1999. Anyway, there are many sub-boards on IVFC and this one:

http://www.ivfconnections.net/board/for ... .php?f=215

I think would be a great place for you. All of us who have gone or are going through IF share your pain. There are adoption, donor and surrogate boards also.

You know, one thing I realized when my mom was diagnosed, is that many oncologists only treat your cancer--the rest is up to you. She went to Cancer Treatment Centers of America, and was very lucky in that they treat the mind, body and spirit--she had a naturopath, a dietician, a spiritualist, and a therapist in addition to several oncologists there. She honestly loved the way they treated her. Of course, she had "survivor's guilt," also, because she always said she wished we had known about this place when my stepdad was diagnosed. Anyway, I say all of this because I do hope that you are getting help in all areas--not just being treated for your cancer. Life happens--and when you are dealt a blow like cancer, it affects a LOT of other things also. For you, you are faced with perhaps never having a child of your own. I hope you are able to talk with someone about this, too--there are counselors who deal with infertility issues strictly. As a matter of fact, a lot of clinics won't let you do an IVF without going through counseling beforehand (my clinic was one of them). There are RESOLVE chapters all over the US (www.resolve.org) with help available and people in this group who know exactly what you're going through.

I am sorry this got to be so long; I just want you to know that you touched uopn two topics very near and dear to me: infertility and lung cancer. I do hope and pray that you are able to find answers and, more importantly, CURES for both.

Thank you.

It's a rare one for sure. When I was waiting to find out if I had cancer or not, I immediately looked all around for statistics and treatments of cervical cancer, and thought "Well, lots of women are cured of this and live for a very long time." I had seen a few references to the small cell type, but didn't even give it a second thought because all the information was saying how rare it was! So, I was in for a shock when family and I were in the oncologists office and she was telling me I have this rare thing and it's very aggressive and chemo needs to be started ASAP!And when I started doing the research on this type, it was very hard to read about.

But anyway, that's life. I tend to fight it as long and hard as I can, and that's about all I can do.

Hugs to you...ooo

I am sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Do you feel sort of numb and shocked at the same time? That's how I felt for a while after my own diagnosis.

I know you don't know what type you have yet, but have the doctors mentioned anything about what kind of treatment you can expect?

If you need an ear, I'm here! I really like this forum so far....and the wonderful people as well.

xoxo--Meredith

Thanks Erin! I know that the longer I can be cancer-free, the more I will be looking into this. I have 3 sisters, 2 of whom have all of their working reproductive parts, and they have both offered to be surrogates for me if I choose that.

I had just gotten engaged to be married 3 months before my diagnosis, but I put everything on hold because I was so sick for a while.

I am very sorry to hear about your mom. I imagine losing a mom had got to be so hard. And how great that you now have 3 children after going through infertility! That's inspiring and encouraging to me.

Thanks again,

Meredith

Hi Meredith,

Just want to tell you that there has never been a cancer made that someone has not survived. I just re-read Richard Bloch's paper for my own encouragement and became re-inspired after reading it.

The longer you are here, the more long term small cell survivors you will meet!

Best luck to you dear.

I am interested in the neuroendocrine virus cancer treatment. A friend is dealing with that same cancer.

Cindi o'h