Waiting is the hardest part

Tom K

I completed the Pulmonary Function Tests last week and the Pulmonoligist says that I have 80% capacity and 96% effectiveness in my lungs. He was very positive about these results and tells me there is nothing that indicates any restrictions on life style from these results. He urges me to start an aerobic exercise program to get back in shape.

Today I finished the chemo regime and the doctor ordered a chest x-ray to see if those lymph nodes were swollen. The X-ray shows no indication of cancer or swollen lymph nodes in the chest area. She also tells me that the blood tests do not indicate any mets to liver or bones (she says those are the 2 most common areas for mets). She says it is very likely the cancer is gone but we can’t be positive until we do the PET/CT scan.

However, she wants to wait another 3 weeks before doing the PET scan because it is possible that I could still have residual radiation from treatments that were completed 61 days ago and that could result in a false positive on the PET scan. So it will be scheduled for the week of June 26th. This is the second time the PET scan has been delayed. While I am tickled pink with the preliminary indications of NED, the waiting for verification is making me crazy (I have never been a patient person). Has anybody else been told that they need to wait 12 weeks after radiation treatments before they could get accurate results from a PET scan?

Congratulations Tom, Sounds like wonderful news.

I know how hard it is to wait for that final confirmation, but try and take those words of encouragement and roll them over your tongue a few times. Enjoy them, and revel in them. You've earned them and deserve to enjoy and celebrate NED.

When you start to feel anxious and think ahead to 12 weeks for the PET scan, just tell yourself "Hey, I'm NED! I know it, Everybody around me knows it, God has cured me, and a PET scan will only provide the physical proof to what we already know... I'm NED"

Tom your lung capacity is exceptional for someone who has had a lobectomy. And it can only get better as you shake off the effects of chemo and get in shape.

I suppose I would be antsy too about waiting for the PET scan, but It is my understaniding that you would get a false positive if you have had recent radiation. you can always work off that pent up energy by walking and getting in shape in the meantime.

Don M

Patience young warrior! :wink: Good things come to those who wait! Prayers go up and blessings come down.

Hi Tom,

This sounds reasonable to me. Keep in mind that radiation continues to work for a while after treatments end, and so does chemo actually.

You only have 20 days to wait, and maybe you could work on that aerobic program in the meantime. My doctor constantly talks to me about exercise, and it not only helps me physically, but mentally and emotionally as well. It's a great stress reliever for me.

I know that waiting is hard, but your treatments are still working, so let that happen.

Good luck to you.

Cindy

Hi Tom.

Congrats on being clear of cancer TODAY!

I understand what you are going through. You have been very busy with treatments, planning your days around your treatments and appointments. Now is the time when we have to shift gears and go into another zone of roller coaster ride. This is the surprise leg that turns into the merry go round. Enjoy the easiness of this section of the rail. Try to put out of your head next test time and enjoy the beauty of today only, then each day and what it brings to you.

This is a transition period that many of us have struggled with. We are accustomed to looking for the END, when it is the journey that is ours to create and enjoy.

Hope this helps.

Keep up the good work!

Cindi o'h