Scans are good

chloesmom

Hi all,

Just wanted you to know that I'm celebrating 3 years of being NED as of now! I had my annual appt with chest surgeon last Wednesday, and the routine has always been--get a chest x-ray, go to his office, he has immediate results and sends me on my way. This time, I did all that, and then he said that this has nothing to do with me in particular, but they're changing protocol, and now we are doing CT scans. He wanted me to get one sometime soon, and then next year when I come in, a CT instead of x-ray.

Well, the receptionist got us worked in for a CT that day so we wouldn't have to go back, and let me tell you, I was sobbing by the time they had me on the table. I know that CT's are good tests, but I also know they turn up a lot of stuff that is nothing, but until it is determined that nothing is wrong, there's a lot of anxiety and sometimes unnecessary testing, etc. That is NOT what a person of my temperment needs to be going through. Of course I was reading all kinds of nuances into everything he said by the time I got out of there that day.

Long story short, I called the surgeon's PA the next day--she had no results and said call tomorrow. When she did have results she said that the lungs looked good and did I know I had a cyst on my liver? OH MY GOD! That had me googling all weekend and still worried sick. And wondering what she wasn't telling me???????

Turned out that it is only a cyst. My surgeon called this afternoon and said everything's fine and I'll see you next year. I was at my onc's office earlier today and quizzing her about this cyst thing, and she said that a cyst is very easy to recognize on a CT and not to worrry. Also, he said that I'll have my results by the time I leave his office next year, so that helps a lot.

I feel like I just wasted about 5 days worrying when I could have been enjoying my life, but I've been blindsided a couple times with this stupid disease, so I worry a lot about it.

Anyway, bottom line is I'm good to go for another year, and one very, very grateful woman. In the meantime, I'm counting on all of you to keep me sane.

Cindy

Cindy

Wooooooo Hooooooooooo Cindy!!!

I am SO glad that your scan turned out great. We have walked this journey together, and I hope that we continue to, for years to come.

Oh, and by the way, don't count on ME to keep you sane. :shock::lol:

I am glad to hear "clean scan" for you Cindy. I have cysts and what not in my liver too. They never change. Sometimes a radiologist reads it and says it is suspicious for mets, but that is because he did not have access to previous scans.

I was blindsided each time I got a new cancer. I am cautiously optimistic that it will not come back this time. If I can just make it past the one year mark, I will consider that a good sign.

I hope you remain cancer free in the years to come.

don M

Congrats to you Cindy! You deserve to live this life, worry free! It is amazing how little worrying really does for us aside from keep us from being blindsided, as you said! I found my stomach feeling like it was on a roller coaster as I was reading your post....God bless you Cindy and congrats!

I also have a cyst on my liver. It has always been there since I started having scans and the doctor said that it is not a concern. CONGRATULATIONS on your GREAT and WONDERFUL NEWS!!! :D:D:D