Not sure what to do

rmm17

My Mom is just not feeling any better. She says that she's felt terrible for the past 3 weeks. Very fatigued, nausea, vomiting, and inability to eat. She's lost quite a bit of weight. On Tuesday she saw the doctor and they did not appear concerned. They felt the glands in her neck and armpits and said they felt "fine". She is still feeling miserable. She has her previously scheduled scans tomorrow. She is thinking about switching oncologists b/c he current team does not appear concerned. Does this seem normal that they are not concerned? Should they have been more urgent in getting the scans done? I'm not sure if i am overrecating. She also has an appt. on the 15th so i am considering taking off of work to go to it with her. Thanks for you help guys.

Rochelle

Rochelle- It sounds like your mom has a gut feeling that she isn't in the right hands. I think she should get another opinion or switch to someone more concerned for her health. It is not normal to feel crappy for 3 weeks -- and no you are not overreacting. I hope her scans go well.

Rochelle #2 :wink:

Rochelle,

Boy, a month ago I would have told you that it is not uncommon to feel flu like symptoms for extended periods following chemo, but I see that it has been 4 months now since chemo ended and 2 months since end of PCI. Your mom should be starting to feel better. The PCI can cause fatigue for months following treatment, but the nausea and vomiting are not so typical. Even if her onc isn't concerned about the cancer returning, he should be concerned for her overall health and strength. Checking the armpits and neck only tells if the lymph nodes are enlarged either due to infection or from lymph node mets. If they felt normal that is a good sign, but that still means your mom has something else that needs to be investigated.

I would say that anytime you are not 100% comfortable with the level of care you are receiving, it doesn't hurt to seek more advice and second opinions.

I pray Rochelle that mom will be feeling better soon.

I would think that they would at least be concerned with the 15 lb weight loss! Did they give you a reason why they are not concerned about any of it?

I know it sure is frustrating at the very least and awfully scarey too. Hope you can figure out what to do that will make you both feel better. Patty

It seems to me that while people may be "fine" a doctor should be able to give an explanation as to why one feels the way she does. That has to be so frustrating for you...I don't think second opinions and second docs are such a bad idea...it has worked really well for us. Best of luck and I hope so much that your mom starts feeling less pain.

I 4th the 2nd opinion idea. THis is your moms lif eyou are talking about. My onc was upfront the whole time and everyone was shocked when Deb passed away. I found out later that things were worse but plans were in place to treat them. Get a second, third or fourth if need be.

I'm jumping on the 2nd+ opinion bandwagon with everyone else here. The docs. ought to be addressing the weight loss, nausea, vomiting at minimum -- no excuse for them to push those aside with so many options to help patients with those. Heck, our docs have gone so far as to Rx calorie boosters, right down to how many a day, to combat weight loss issues, for example.....and there are Rxs which effectively help with nausea and vomiting too.

Hoping mom feels better soon.

Linda

Rochelle, please do get a second opinion. Write a list of questons to ask the docs with firmness but graciousness. What is wrong with information? Nothing. Bless your heart. Will be praying for you and your mom. I want her to enjoy life not suffer thru it. pammie

GET A SECOND OPINION! I think that summarizes everyone's comments. :) If your mom feels crappy, you should at least have an idea as to why. If your gut (and her gut) say change doctors...then definitely get another opinion.

Holly

Rochelle,

I'm going to go against popular thought and discourage additional opinions. She's done with treatment, what will new opinions give her?

My Dad has been out of treatment for a year now. PCI kicked him in the arse and he still sleeps most of the day. He traded normal life for a chance to live. So far so good. She has to sleep it off. My Dad lost lots of weight after PCI, but he has since regained it twicefold. He's now on a diet. Give her time, two months wasn't enough for my Dad.

Let her sleep this summer. I know your Mom is younger than my Dad so it may take less time. Regardless, give it time. My Dad is still the same ol goofball he's always been. He's always been a sleeper (so am I) but he's still enjoying life.

I know it's hard and you want to fix it for her but I don't know what other doctors can do to get her past this. It's going to take time.

Sheri is making a lot of sense.

Sometimes waiting out the flu like symptoms is the toughest part. The scan is scheduled.

She does need to get the nausea under control so that she can get some calories in. Does she have a medication to use?

If it were an emergency, the onc. would have picked up on it.

If things get worse, there is the ER.

Hang in there...both of you!

Cindi o'h