2nd chemo treatment

Shirlie

I am going for my 2nd treatment on 06-12

I just heard that you feel worse after each treatment. Is this true? What does it mean feel worse? Am I going to be sick longer than I was with the 1st one or am I going to be sicker.

Everyone is different Shirlie. I never really got any sickness during my chemo. I did my chemo with flying colors. Most people don't have problems with chemo. It seems that you hear about those that do, and that's what appears to be what we hear! :roll:

MOST people DON'T get sick in any way shape or form with chemo. Stay positive and half the battle is over. :wink:

Just keep saying to yourself, "I can do this, I can go through this and remain healthy" Mind over Matter DOES WORK! :wink:

Actually Shirley, I did great with chemo. I am 73 y/o with NSCLC Stage 3B. I had carbo and gemzar from 1/4/06 thru April 06. After my first few treatments I told my doc, "Hey, I feel great, I hope you're not going to kick it up till I start feeling bad." He said "No, I'm going to cut it back a little, because we know it's working because it has affected your blood count". I had frequent blood counts and when they were down, I got Leukine and Procrit. Every now and then, with the blood build up shots I got "bone pain" because blood cells are made in the bone marrow. But hey, I had pain killers, anti nausea medicine and anything else I wanted. I think I had 6 rounds. A cat scan near the end of treatment showed my primary tumor reduced from 3.9cm to 2.?cm and the lymphnodes reduced considerably.

My doc was so happy about results, he sent me to radiation oncologist. I will complete the 25 treatments (daily except sat and sun) wednesday, and on Thursday I will start a different radiation beam for 13 treatments. The only problem I have is I lose weight and have to really make an effort to eat as I have no appetite. I am getting Megastrol and I just have to treat food like its a medicine I have to take. But such a minor complaint, compared to what it could be.

So good luck and god bless you, friend. You can do it.

Shirlie,

I also did great on chemo. If you are getting so sick, maybe you should ask what alternatives are available. I have spent all of my chemo felling pretty good. Make sure you see the onc and let him know how bad you are feeling.

Good luck.

Mary

The aches are normal with Taxol and didn't ever bother me to much. My experience has been that each treatment affected me about the same, no real cumulative action by the chemo. Each person is different. I had very few side effects from any drug......except the dreaded Tarceva rash :D

jim

Shirley,

My reaction to your same drugs were very similar. I don't believe that the effects are cumulative because when I was going for my last treatment, I was really nervous about that, and it was my very best one (no reaction at all).

Just be very sure, even if you're not hungry, to DRINK lots of water, juice or whatever you can get down. I liked the ensure and it also filled me up, but whatever you like, liquids are imperative!

Its very easy to become dehydrated while undergoing chemo.

Just don't worry, you'll be fine. Stay positive.

Joan

Shirlie I will say prayers that this next treatment goes well for you.

They do say that treatments are cumulative, but I don't know if that necessarily mean worse with EACH successive treatment. My husband had chemo after chemo, and they did get harder to tolerate over time. In fact Keith tolerated his treatments really well for the first year and a half. For the last year and a half, he had more issues with low blood counts, exhaustion, more nausea. His body just took a beating for so long it couldnt' bounce back as quickly.

What I'm trying to say is that you shouldn't necessarily expect this next treatment to be worse. I think chemo is harder cumulatively in the long run.

You are in my prayers

Shirlie:

While chemo experiences are highly individual, most don't seem to "get sick" from chemo. I had the opportunity to talk with many folks receiving chemo at our local cancer center while my mom was receiving her 13 rounds of taxol/carbo, and, unless you saw them at the center, I don't think you'd know they were on chemo (other than the hair loss). The biggest "complaint" most had was the fatigue, but they all said they compensated by taking short naps between doing things (some who got really tired just planned accordingly to take the day after chemo off to rest). Appetite (change in taste or lack of appetite) was the second issue and they compensated by snacking throughout the day, rather than going the usual 3 meals route and often were encouraged to eat what they wanted (whatever would stimulate some interest in their food). Some of these folks had been on and off of chemo for years too.

You might be given something like Procrit eventually if your bloodwork shows that you need it -- it helps boost red blood cell production in the body. Some people report feeling achy from this as the shot is stimulating the bone to work harder than it is used to....others don't notice anything much from it.

You shouldn't expect to get sick from your treatment. Your doctor is probably giving you something like decadron to help with fatigue, and an anti-nausea med before you receive your treatment; something like Benadryl is probably given too, to minimize the chance that your body would react to the taxol. If you find you begin to feel bad or notice anything that makes you uncomfortable along the way, report it to your doctor as soon as possible.

I agree with folks like Connie who say that we tend to hear/read about those who have the bad times and that, unfortunately, that is what sticks in our minds when we first come in here new and nervous. If you look at my signature, for example, you will find that my mom is one of those exceptions, rather than the rule -- observing my mom's difficulties is what spawned my talking to so many other patients at our cancer center. My mom is up against some issues which are unique to her particular health status and journey with this.

Two final notes: staying hydrated is important as someone else already mentioned; so is taking reasonable steps to avoid risks of secondary infections (extra attention to washing those hands and avoid being around folks with an illness like colds/flu).

Hope this helps,

Linda