Hello, my name is Donna and I was diagnosed with adenocarcinoma stage 4 on April 11 2006. My first chemo treatment was April 13 2006 taxal/carbo. I am still pretty much in shock but trying to read and understand everything I can about this blasted disease. I am trying to ignore all of the statistic online, I plan on living for a nice long time!

I go for my 4th round of chemo next week, I felt really crappy after the 3rd round so I was wondering how much worse it will be this time? I also have diabetis and fibromyalgia.

After the 5th round I am going to have a petscan. I have never had one and I wondered what the machine was like? Is it like a cat scan or more like an mri? I am very claustrophobic so I am stressing over this.

I have just started to read the messages and this seems like a very informative and caring board. I am very glad that I have found this board.

Thanks,

Donna

Donna,

first and foremost welcome, You will find many helpful people on board here.

I have found that each and every chemo may affect you differently, some worse than others but they are culmulative.

The pet scan is no different than the cat scan, it is not enclosed like an MRI, also some places now have the open mri machines.

Keep up fighting spirit

Prayers to all

Tom

Welcome: you're among friends who have walked the same path. I am somewhat claustrophobic and the PET scan bothered me. It is a bit tighter than the CT machine and mine took 45 minutes each. I took a CD player and listened to soothing music or you could listen to a talking book. After a few minutes I relaxed. No discomfort, just kinda tight.

You can do it, we all did

jim

Welcome Donna, glad you found this site. Like Hollywood Tom said, chemo is cumulative and the effects can be slightly different each time. I had the same drugs as you. In the beginning, I had mild nausea loss of appetite and fatigue. Towards the end of my treatments I had no problem eating (I recently had to buy larger belts) but I started experiencing quite a bit of body aches and my hair fell out. The PET scan is like a CT scan only it takes about 45 minutes. Again, welcome and do not hesitate to ask questions of the group. This is a great group of people and for me it helped knowing there were others that had faced the same thing and could tell me what to expect.

Hi Donna,

I'd first just like to welcome you and wish you luck in your battle.

I'm also claustrophobic and cannot get into an MRI without medication. I would strongly suggest asking your doctor for something because now it doesn't even bother me.

As far as being cumulative, it really depends. My last chemo turned out to have the least side effects, so Who Knows???

Joan[/u]

Hello there Donna!!

Welcome!! Sorry you had to find us, but we are glad to be your fellow travelers on this journey!!

Yeah, the chemo is no picnic, that's for sure, but it is doable. Everybody has different experiences and hopefully you will be able to continue to deal with the side effects!!! I will keep you in my thoughts as your chemo continues.

You have received some great ideas regarding the PET scan and something to relax you prior to the scan along with a CD with some favorite tunes would be a big help!!

Thanks for joining us and hope we can be of some assistance to you!!

With a smile,

Pam in FL

Welcome Donna. My mom is claustrophobic too and was given a sedative to help with the PET scan. She does the open-sided MRI now because of that too; doesn't seem to mind CT scans.

Make sure you understand what you'll need to do to prepare for the PET scan -- being diabetic will require some special things a couple of days prior to when you go in to have the scan done. My mom is diabetic too and, as I remember, there were dietary restrictions and extra blood glucose monitoring in preparation for the test. The center where you will have the test done will be the place to advise you on the specifics.

Linda

Welcome Donna! Those are 2 good chemo drugs.

You say Stage 4 which means usually that it is somewhere else than the lungs. Is that the case with you? Were you having any problems when they discovered it? Are you feeling better?

Pray you get a great response, a great pet scan. Keep us posted

Donna G

Welcome, Donna! Good for you not to pay attention to statistics. My wife is Stabe 4 adeno carcinoma, non-small cell, and the statistics said 9 months left. She is now 3 1/2 years from diag. and still going, like the Energizer Bunny (well, maybe not that energetic!). Keep us posted on your progress. Don

Hi Donna. Welcome--I only just joined this forum a few days ago and already I have found out a lot of information and the people are great!

I had 6 initial cycles of chemotherapy and I did find that it got a bit worse each time. The nausea and vomiting were worse for me, but with medications, it was under control. Ask your doctor for the anti-nausea medication Emend. I think it was very helpful in controlling the nausea/vomiting for several days after chemo.

The PET scan was no worse, in my opinion, than the CT scans. The MRI of the brain that I had was a little weird, but I did it.

Best wishes to you

Meredith

Donna -

It looks like everyone has answered your questions! So, I will just welcome you. The support you will get here will amaze you! Keep fighting the fight, it sounds as if your spirit is unbeatable!

Holly

Hi Donna,

So sorry that you had to find us. I know the shock and still think about a year ago when I was first diagnosed -

I applaud how fast you started treatment and hope you'll have good results.

The PET scan is nothing much - like a CT. I have had brain and body PET scans and neither required sedation. I do take valium whem I have a brain or chest MRI.

Welcome and best wishes.

Mary

For me the pet scan was easier than the cat scan,

they will give you an injection but not an iv,this doesnt stay in.you will sit back in a recliner for about half an hr,then you will get up to use the bathroom if need be,then the scans,which was about half an hr also.I wasnt closed in,its mostly open,not bad at all.

Marie

Hi Donna, I had PET scan in Dec 2005. The imaging center I went to had a new Philip machine and only took 13 minutes. The technician was really proud of it because he said some machines take 45 minutes or longer. Good luck to you friend, keep us informed of how your journey goes. We are all on it, just keep hanging in there.

Hi Donna!

So they want you to be the doughnut hole huh? Been there done that. Ask the doc for an Atavan. Usually 1mg and you'll be nice and relaxed for the Pet. You can also ask someone to be there with you to hold your foot! Hey, I'm over 6' tall, 200lbs and can lift 300 lbs (that's not true ... that was pre-cancer) but I do NOT LIKE being the doughnut hole! :-)

Welcome to the site and don't hesitate to ask questions, private message or anything like that. The people here are wonderful and completely understand your delima. Most of us have been through it already and can tell you what's in store.

Darrell

Hi Donna,

Welcome here. As you see there are very caring people here to support you and answer your questions.

We have walked your path. I know how scared you must be. It will get easier with time and treatment.

Keep a positive attitude and keep us posted on your test results.

Maryanne :wink: