Dad in hospice in patient facility

Saturday I began to get the feeling that the "everything is good" I was getting from Az was more so I would stay home the full two weeks I intended to than it was truly that "everything was good". I had a gut feeling that something just was not quite right so...I flew to Az on Sunday rather than waiting to the end of this week and arrived to find Dad vomitting more blood/bile and generally VERY miserable! This had apprently been going on since Fridaya night and by this time his lips were horrifically swollen, his mouth and lips bleeding and he did not want to go back to the ER. I asked him about hospice, and he said "you and SM decide - I don't have the energy". After discussion, we ended up taking him to the ER and asking only for a referral to hospice - no aggressive treatment. Hopice came to the ER and did the admission process and then allowed us to take Dad from the hospital to the Hopice inpatient facility ourselves.

The facility and the staff are AMAZING! What a change in the level of "caring"!! He was made comfortable with some anti-nausea medicine that thier pharmacy mixes (several things combined), some percoset without the tylenol in it, and just some truly caring people! He has a private room (the facility is a private home that was donated to hospice) with french doors that open to a beautiful patio complete with a nice fountain. The faiclity itself is really nice and very much "like home", it even has a swimming pool which Dad has asked twice today about "dipping his feet into"...LOL.

Tonight (when it cools off .. 113 today in PHX!!!) we are going to take him to the pool to dangle his feet in the water. IT feels SO good to leave him at night and not worry about if he is going to have good care or not! What a relief! If this is any indication of how our hospice journey might be... I am SO glad he finally agreed to it.

Dealing with everything day to day, but we are hoping to be able to stabalize him here (e.g. no vomitting and pain control) and then be able to get him home where SM and I will take over his care with hospice coming in twice a week.

Praying for a few more "good days" and a good Fathers Day weekend...but also feeling so blessed to have the much needed (and welcomed on my part anyway) hospice care!

I am so happy for all of you, Cindy. Hopefully Dad can rally enough and have much good time left to share with everybody. Your description of your Hospice is so reassuring.............brought me comfort as well. Best of luck as you continue down this path.

Kasey

Dear Cindy,

I am so glad you were able to get you Dad in the Hospice home. I also spent many agonizing days and finally my Dad went to a very similar hospice home. His days there were the most comfort filled, the care was something I have never seen(I am a nurse). Once my Dad was settled he told me several times he found great peace there and as the medical issues came up, they dealt with each one with amazing care.His pain was controled, our family was at his side.....it was a blessing. I wish you and your Dad many wonderful days ahead

love, NancyT

Cindy, I'm so glad the hospice inpatient facility is taking such good care of your dad. My mom had to put my dad into the facility in 1999 when his NSCLC metastasized to his brain. By that time my dad was so out of it he didn't know where he was, and understandably my mom was torn; she didn't want to "give up" on my dad but knew how desperate the situation was. She really felt so badly that she could not care for him herself, but she was handicapped and just couldn't do it. He was only there for three days before passing but it had the greatest impact on me which will last the rest of my life. A big part of me wishes hospice had been a part of my mom's last month with us, now looking back.

I wish your dad many many good days ahead, and you the peace of mind that he is in excellent hands. You are a wonderful daughter.

Cindy...I am so very glad to hear that you have found a place that makes you and your Dad feel so comfortable. I know what a relief this must be for you. Here's to dipping your feet and making lots of good memories that will last forever! I'm keeping you and your Dad in my prayers.

The hospice sounds wonderful. I have been to cavalry for other people and it is just like being in a hospital, which brings people down. I hope your father stablizes quickly and can return home asap. Prayers and thoughts for your family.

Thanks SOOO much everyone for your good thoughts, prayers and support! It truly touches the very corners of my heart each and every time I come here.

Dad continues to vomit so getting him home is looking less and less likely. However he is really comfortable here and is really seeming to enjoy being able to have short chats with the other people who are here at the house.

We did indeed get to take him to "dip" his feet into the pool early last night and even managed to accomplish it without any of us fall into the pool.. LOL. He was VERY contented by this and we sat quietly at the pool (SM, Dad and myself) for probably 20 minutes and just enjoyed the nice cool water and the sound of the little sprays in the pool. In fact, he is talking about doing it again tonight. It is seemingly an odd thing, since Dad has never been intersted in a pool, but it seems to really make him happy... so we will continue to enjoy and look forward to his evening "dips".

The hospice nurse approached me last night and wanted to talk about time frames, how things might progress, our expectations and how prepared we are for all that is in the very near future. It was a good conversation -- hard to have -- but good to have a realistic view of things and know that help is at hand. Not exacly sure how one prepares for all that is to come or if you can ever truely be prepared... but I have faith that God and our love for Dad will see us whatever is to come.

Cindi, Iam so glad that you and SM decided on hospice. I can see what a difference it is making in your life as well as his.

They are wonderful as that is all they are trained for and it does make life so much easier for the caretakers.

I pray for your dad to get relief from his stomache problems and for him to be made comfortable.

Keep us posted you know we are always here for you.

Maryanne :wink: