A year in heaven

BeckyCW

Tomorrow, June 15th, will be a year since my little brother DavidC went to heaven. I'm trying very hard to focus on THAT and not on what was going on a year ago - all the pain and anguish - and not on the loss that I (and all of David's family and friends) feel every day.

I try to think of funny things Dave would be telling us from heaven if we could only hear him. At church on Sunday, several hymns mentioned cherabim and seraphim -- and what popped into my mind was David chuckling and saying that now HE knows what they are.

I remembered him standing at the front of that church and playing his trumpet as I walked down the aisle at my wedding, and I remembered how proud I was of him and how special that was. And for once I was able to smile some instead of just crying. I think he liked that. Not only did he have a great and well-known sense of humor -- he also hated to see people hurt and would do anything he could to help others see the good side of things. So I think he's doing that for me now. (He's probably been trying all year, but hasn't been getting through my thick head. That's another thing about my brother, though... He didn't know how to give up.)

Thanks, everyone, for being there for him and his family, and for being there for so many people.

If you have a chance today, please raise a glass or light a candle for a great man -- a brother, son, husband, father and friend who crammed a lot of life into 40 years.

Thank you,

BeckyCW

Becky,

I can't believe that its been a year already that David is gone.

I am glad that you posted this, because I wouldn't want the day to pass without honoring him in some way. He was a special person - I miss his humour, his courage, his strength on making it through the most adverse conditions. I'm sorry he's gone, and I'm sorry that you, we, lost him.

IT's funny how well you get to know people on the board without ever meeting them in person. All you said about David, I already knew just from his posts, it was that clear. I'm glad that you are starting to find a way aroudn the pain, I know as sure as I'm sitting here, that David would like that. You were, and are, a great sister to him.

I will be thinking of David, and you, today.

Clink clink. I wanted to add an email I received this week in honor of David's dash-

Your Dash? ...

I read of a man who choose to speak at the funeral of a friend.

He referred to the dates on her tombstone. From the beginning... to the end.

He noted that first came her date of birth and spoke the following date with tears. But he said what mattered most of all was the dash between those years.

For that dash represents all the time that she spent alive on earth...

And now only those who loved her, know what that little line is worth.

For it matters not, how much we own, the cars...the house...the cash, what matters is how we live and love and how we spend our dash.

So think about this. Are there things you'd like to change? For you never know how much time is left that can still be rearranged.

If we could just slow down enough to consider what's true and real, and always try to understand the way other people feel.

And be less quick to anger, and show appreciation more and love the people in our lives like we've never loved before.

If we treat each other with respect, and more often wear a smile. Remembering that this special dash might only last a while.

So, when your eulogy's being read with your life's actions to rehash... have you had a satisfying, fulfilling and truly enjoyable 'dash'?

People know, you don't even have to tell them.

Becky,

I'd be very proud to light a candle this evening in David's honor. Thank you for sharing the thoughts running thru your heart and head these past few days; it gives me much hope that, in time, I too will be able to smile and reflect on my own loss with joy and less pain. My thoughts will be with you and David's family on this one year anniversary of his arrival into Heaven.

Wow. I only joined LCSC in March, but your words, thoughts, and your brother are all amazing to me. The grieving process is such a difficult road, and I love that your brother has guided you through it, and as you say, got through your thick head! haha!

You can most certainly count on a candle from me. I would have a toast too, but nothing to toast with!!! Enjoy the wonderful memories, and celebrate life!

God bless you!

Lighting a candle and raising a glass to toast a wonderful man. He brought so much joy to the lives of so many and always seemed to worry so little about his own problems. You were so lucky to have shared life with such a wonderful brother. He is very missed by all of us on the board!

David died right around the time I signed on to LCSC. I never 'knew' him here, but the outpouring of sadness I saw from others who'd never 'known' him, as well as the show of love and support for you and the rest of his family, told me two things: (1) he was an amazing presence; and (2) this is an amazing, loving place.

so thank you, and thanks David, for paving such a beautiful road to what I (we) found here.

xo

well, Becky beat me to the punch, but Cindy, I'd say definitely Sam Adams. There was no other beer for Dave.

I hadn't had a chance to log on today - they moved our offices and all week I've been hefting around 50 pound boxes of files and reloading file cabinets and all the other stuff you do when you move an office with practically no help. which has keep me pretty preoccupied which is a good thing.

Faith had her pre-K graduation the other night. every happy thing we do is foreshadowed by the fact that Dave is not here in person to participate, but I know - and keep telling Faith - he can watch from heaven (I sure hope anyway) even if we can't see him. anyway, it was darn cute and I was so proud of her. she is quite grown up now! once I get around to cleaning up my hard drive at home enough to download the photos I'll change my avatar to one of her in her cap and gown.

thanks to all who remembers him, because the worst thing in the world is to have someone's life reduced to a few belongings and then be forgotten. I tell "Dave stories" to people who never knew him and I love it when I hear "he sounds like someone I would have liked to hang out with". that's a great tribute.

God Bless,

Karen

Karen,

A good barkeep doesn't forget her favorite customers or their favorite brew! Dave was always nursing his Sam Adams at the pub. Lots of hours and lots of fun with DavidC around!

Can't wait for the new avitar of your precious Faith! Congrats on the graduation.

love,

Cindi o'h

Dear Becky and Karen and Faith;

I just wanted to share with all of you that I have released a balloon in memory of our David. I wrote a note and put his name and the day he left for Heaven inside the balloon. I get a little comfort when I do that.

My thoughts and prayers that today will pass softly for all of you and that you will try very hard to remember all the wonderful times you had with David.

I'm sitting here right now, remembering him all dressed up in drag! :wink::lol: He knew how to make people laugh. I will clink a drink today in memory of my friend David.

Ok, the day is passing very nicely I would say. I left work a little early so I could go by the cemetary and put some flowers down. didn't see anything I liked and knew every cut flower would be dead soon anyway. then I spotted the cactuses. Dave loved them, so I bought two little ones and set them on his marker. he'd like that. then my friend from NYC stopped by on his way to visit his parents. Faith is crazy about him and vice versa so that was a good distraction. He was one of the people who said he would have liked to hang out with Dave.

One of my favorite Dave stories. you have to know that for as much of a sense of humor he had on the board, living with him sometimes he could be a bit of a curmudgeon (sp?) but funny. If anyone has seen the commericials for Jared jewelry stores - well, there is this woman walking around a cocktail party asking all her girlfriends about their beautiful jewelry and they all reply "he got it at Jared". so apparently her bracelet was inferior and not purchased at Jared. so she walks up to her nerdy looking husband, who says "hi honey" and she just looks at him and drops her bracelet into his drink. now, this part is all about timing, but right at that moment, the second that bracelet drops into the drink, Dave would utter one word "witch". every single time we saw that commercial, and it ran alot during Christmas, valentines day, etc. he would be sick and literally dying but still sitting in his recliner and nailing it every time with perfect timing. got a snicker out of me every time.

well, time for bed. it's been a nice day. after our friend left Faith and I took a walk through the neighborhood, it was dark and the stars were out and she remarked that Daddy was up with the stars. I didn't mention to her that today was a special day, but I like that now she doesn't cry for her daddy every night or ask me a million angst filled questions about why he's not here, but instead remembers him and sees him in the stars. I'd say she's growing through this awful time and so am I.

God Bless,

Karen

((((((Karen and Faith))))))

Although I can't seem to believe that Dave has been gone for a year, I am glad that you were able to recall some really happy memories yesterday. I think it's great that Faith is adapting well and isn't crying anymore. I'm sure that her Daddy will always be watching her from the stars. You know, I like to think Dennis is among the stars. I sure do hope he and Dave have bumped into each other. They would have really "clicked" as they definitely seem to have the same humor. I have seen that commercial and have to say I agree with Dave!!!

(((Becky & Karen)))

I can't believe it has been a year. I still remember David and his outrageous wit and sense of humor as if we had just spoke yesterday.

He really was a wonderful man, with so much courage and humor and positive attitude. I was so honored to have had the chance to get to know him.

When Becky told me about yesterday being the 1 year mark, it got me thinking about the great picture of him in drag. It made me go upstairs to my boxes of clutter and dig out a photo Keith took on a dare for a friend with him in drag. I took out my photo, poured a glass of wine, and raised a toast of gratitude to David C.

(I will try and scan this picture of Keith emulating David C to share with all)

A double clink, clink in Dave's honor. Oh miss his posts, he was so whitty. Such a beautiful soul! Heaven is lucky to have him.

I also cannot believe how fast this year went. So many changes here with so many of our members.

I love the part Becky when you said he played the trumpid at your wedding. What a wonderful memory. :lol:

I know was looking down upon his daughter on her special day.

Heres a toast to Dave... I will also light a candle in his honor.

Peace be with you,

Maryanne :wink: