Scared: Back In The Hospital Today

I just don't know what to say, mom was readmitted to the hospital overnight -- O2 sats dropped again was reason for new trip to ER overnight. As of today, mom is nuttier than a fruit cake -- I have never seen her so bad. Blood work doesn't explain this one either, for the first time -- electrolytes are fine and she was eval'd for stroke (nope, not that either). They are doing a procedure to remove fluid from her lungs (for comfort) and we are supposed to discharge tomorrow as it is seen now. We have the same hospital onc. we had last time (really like him) and he is supposed to debrief me on whether disease progression can cause such a change in mental status......I can't understand her sentences anymore (she puts words together that don't make any sense, doesn't know where she is, and exhibits what are like obsessive/compulsive repetitive actions now).....she's calm though, not angry or aggressive at the moment. I watched this get worse during the day today......at least I know she wants hospice now once we discharge tomorrow, that helps....but this rots big time.....what the heck happened over the last 48 hours? I have two head CT scans that say it's not brain mets (the last one done real recently).

Really hurt to have to leave her today so I could get to her safety deposit box at the bank in time to retrieve the original of her will per attorney recommendation.......would be too late if something happens overnight -- I would be locked out of her box if she passes overnight and I need that document if she passes.....this rots -- I can't be everywhere I want or need to be at once!!!!!!! That's only a drop in the bucket of the stretch I am under too....no point in going into more details now.....hopefully things will be different tomorrow.

Linda

Linda,

I am so sorry about what your mom is going through. With nature of this disease everyone lives from moment to moment. I know with my dad when he was hospitalized with his cancer, there were moments he was incoherent, his was a combo between the cancer metasizing to his brain and the incredible amounts of meds. he was on, he lived for about 2 months after this. is it the cancer w/ your mom, I wish I could tell you, but she is being taken care of now. And I completely understand about running around and getting things taken care of before it is too late, I ran around so much in the final months for my dad... I'm praying for you and your mom tonite...

Grace

Linda sent you a pm whenever not important right now. Dad went in for routine knee surgery. We know he built up a small amount of fluid in Lungs probably Sepsis not sure. On life support for 5 days. Removed and thought he was on a Boat. NG TUbe out yesterday And Fine today. All numbers were good for the whole time but O2 ANd life support turned him around almosrt normal. Sending PRayers for You and Mom for quick recovery time! :(

Oh Linda, I am so sorry. This is terrible news. You need to be with your mom. God bless you for being a wondeful daughter, and doing everythign you need to do, even if it stretches you into a thousand different directions.

I will say a prayer for your mom. Dear Lord, please provide your warmth and protection for Linda, her mom, and their family as they go through this latest hurdle. Please grant them your peace, your strength, and your warmth. Lord, I ask that you make Linda's mom be free from pain, and be clear of mind and heart.

God bless you Linda and your family.

Hope things will be going better for you soon. Don't you just wish "other" things going on at the same time would just disappear???? Can't anyone see that we have enough on our plate with just the whole cancer thing???

Wishing you peace and the best.

Welthy

Linda - we had a similar experience with my dad several weeks ago with the nonsensical speech. It turned out to be mini-strokes. I was told that the damage to the brain from the strokes may not show up on the scans for a couple of days, which turned out to be the case for my dad.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Lynn

Thanks all for your support; if it's not mini-strokes as Lynn experienced, then it's not enough O2 getting to the brain (even with great O2 sats readings) from the way mom breathes -- she's still SOB even after the fluid was drained from her lungs on Thursday. Hospital onc. says "yep, part of the disease progression" as well. They called part of the phenomonena "word salad" : nonsense sentences (that, on top of when she does talk "coherently," most of the information is false). Once she didn't recognize me and, with most other staff at the hospital, she didn't know what they were there for.

Oh, the term "sundown syndrome" was used at one point as well. I know someone else had mentioned a doc. using that term with their parent and everyone disagreed, as the term is generally used for alzeimer's. At least our team doesn't mean she's got alzeimer's: it's a general term to describe what's happening as a class of symptoms (behavior and neurological function).

Mom seemed "better" on Friday morning (though she didn't remember my being with her the day before), but when our attorney came in for her to sign some papers, she couldn't spell her own name. She's still seeing animals where there aren't; by yesterday afternoon, she was as loopy as Thursday. We discharged back to the nursing home late yesterday afternoon -- I hadn't been home last night for two hours when I got a call that she fell out of bed. She's now got padding all over the floor around her bed to protect from hurting herself.

We're going hospice at this point -- appointment on Monday morning to sign up, unless they get a cancellation over the weekend and call me to come in earlier. She really needs that kind of support at this point.

Linda

Linda,

I am sorry things are not better. I am glad you will be using Hospice though, it should enable you to have a little bit of a break for yourself. I continue to keep you and Mom in my prayers. Wish there was more I could do.

Sending hugs and prayers and positive thoughts,

Chris

Linda,

Sorry to hear about the recent turns with your mom. And praying that hospice will be as "comforting and peaceful" for your mom as it has been for my dad. If they have a "hospice home" available in your area vs. a hospice location at a hospital, I would highly suggest giving it a try. The hospice house that Dad is at as been a WONDERFUL experience!

Please PM me if you need to talk or have questions that I might be able to help with regarding our hospice experience.

Praying for mom, yourself and wishing you comfort and peace!!!

Cindy

Sending Prayers for everyone I know you all have been through a lot and I pray that hospice helps in many improved quality of life ways.