Anybody have any suggestions?

judysdaughter

As some of you might know, my mom had surgery on Friday. She's doing pretty well, and if everything goes as planned, should be out of the hospital in about 2 weeks. The doctors haven't really given me a lot of guidance on what I should do to prepare for her homecoming. Between my aunts and I, she'll have someone with her everyday for about 4 weeks. Does anyone have any ideas on what I should do to prepare for her to come home from the hospital? As always, appreciate the input.

Prayers to all.

I don't have any experience with this, but I have heard over and over again from wonderful and experienced survivors on this site, the importance of rest, exercise, and pillows. Make sure that mom not only has a pillow to hug while coughing, but have extra pillows around to prop her up. It makes it easier to sleep and breath to be slightly upright.

Your mom will need to do light activity to aid in her recovery. Anything you can do to make that easier and safer would be great. Maybe if she had a stationary bike, or if she had someone to walk with for short trips in the neighborhood or even just the yard.

It is great that she will have family and loved ones around to help her through her recovery. There are many things that will just be easier with an extra set of hands. Just some extra help getting up is going to make a world of difference. Keep her spirits up, and surround her with love and she will be back to herself in no time.

The one thing my husband and I did was to get a set of good walkie talkies. This was just so if I had to leave the room, go outside for anything, or had to be busy with something and could not be right there. That way he never felt like he was left "alone". He could always reach me in just a click of the button and I would know to be there. Just an idea that saved us alot of unneeded stress.

Best of luck on the coming home.

Just checking in:

I'm on my way to the site suggested by Michael and tomorrow to do an inventory of pillows! Thanks for the responses. It brightens my night when I get home from the hospital to check and see some responses from folks who know how it is.

Now I'm just waiting to find out where I can get my own "magic button." In my mom and my case, even a "mute" button could be beneficial. I love my mom to pieces but she can drive me to insanity. (just a little attempt to find some kind of humor)

Hello Judy,

just aboutyour mum coming home. Fantastic to have all the family support for 4 weeks ,she will love that. But can I tell you speaking of my own case. You also need some time to yourself. Sometimes everyone loving you to bits can be a bit smothering. You may want to weep by yourself SOMETIMES. You are so glad of all the help, so glad. Just sometimes for the sake of your soul, you need solitude to sort out a lot of thoughts. I wish you luck, your mum is a lucky lady to have you.

Ina.

I found that when I got home from the hospital after surgery, it was most helpful if my husband helped me get up and down. He would take my hands and help me pull myself up off the couch or chair. Those muscles that get cut are the ones you use to lift yourself, and they are really sore for a while.

I also slept on the couch or in the recliner for the first week I was home. It was easier to breathe if my head was slightly elevated. She may also need some assistance in shampooing her hair--I did, or getting in or out of the shower or bathtub.

Also, it is very, very important that she practice with the spirometer--every hour during the time she is awake. That will definately help her conquer the shortness of breath problem. Also light activity is good--several short walks in the driveway, on the sidewalk, etc. can be built upon every day. Stairs might be a good idea as soon as she is ready. I know that when I went back for my first post-surgery check up which was 10 days after my release from the hospital, the surgeon said to really push the walking as much as possible. So I did, and I have all my "wind" back now--it feels really good.

Good luck--she will be fine, and is lucky to have you and all that help.

Purchase 2 new, long handled back scrubbers, the kind with the netting at the business end. When she's showering she may have some trouble bending, and using the long handled scrubber will make it easier to wash her legs and feet, not to mention her back. Keep one of the scrubbers dry. At some point the incision is going to begin to itch. When that happens she can use the dry scrubber to scratch without injuring the delicate scar tissue or the skin around the incision.

Try to have the place where she will be resting the most set up so that the lamp, table, etc, are opposite the surgery side. She'll be limited in how high she can lift the arm on that side for a while.

Use the spirometer every waking hour. While in bed or seated for extended periods of time have her move her feet and lower legs as peddling an imaginary bicycle. This will help with circulation. Take those mini-walks several times a day.

Pain meds cause constipation. Don't let that go on if it happens.

Many of us who have had surgery end up with Gastric Reflux problems, even if those problems did not exist prior to the thoracotomy. It can be pretty painful, and if the acid splashes high enough can actually reach the area where the trachea meets the esophagus, causing cough and other respiratory problems. Have the problems treated if it occurs.

She is very fortunate to have so many loving family members to help her through the recovery period. Let her do the things she up to doing as long as they do not contradict her Physician's orders. Give her time by herself if it's what she wants.

She many need smaller, more frequent meals. After the pneumonectomy in May I couldn't eat anything with fat in it. Nothing. Made me very ill. Still can't handle too much of it.

As the mother of an adult daughter who helped me when I was recovering from my most recent chest surgey, I would like for you to know that driving you just a little bit insane is an honor that is passed down from Mother to Daughter in every generation. My Mother did it to me, her Mother did it to her. I'm doing it to my Daughter. It's Tradition! If you have a Daughter, someday you will have the opportunity to drive her insane as well. You should just enjoy it while you have one another.

Best Wishes,

Don't really have anything to add, - - I thought the intercom was a great thing. I gave Buddy a bell to ring but if outside I never would have heard it. In doors it worked good. Needed to help him get up a lot.

He to slept on the couch and still does a year later. he said it helps rest his back and the pain is not so bad. He has bone cancer on the left side in the ribs so i would imagine that is why.

It will be fine so don't worry to much. She will just love coming home.