Radon gas and lung cancer

may99

My father was diagnosed with lung cancer NSCLC. He had surgery 18 months ago. It is stage 1B. How can you tell if it's radon related.

He had exposure to radon I believe in recent four years. Doctor said it was not smoking related cancer.

The type is Adenocarcinoma. Anyone has any information on this?

First off I am glad you found us. THis is a long and Bumpy road. Surgery and Chemo are tough to deal with on own and need lots of support. You And Dad found the most compassionate knowledgeable and supportive groups I know of.Click on My profile at top of screenand you can pput Med Info in big box so you will not have to redo each post. Treatments Tests Meds and all med info in My profile.

Adenocarcinoma is the most common type of Lung Cancer There fore it is the most commonly researched type of Cancer There is Small Cell And Non-small Cell Cancer. Adeno is NSCLC. Lots of chemo options are available and more being researched. When your onc decides course of action Let us know what it is and We will start from there.

Following Links Just click on and you will go to the sites for info:

http://radon.com/radon/radon_facts.html

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/NWS/conte ... r_Risk.asp

http://www.epa.gov/radon/

I hope this helps you get started on this journey with us.We are always here for ANYTHING You may need to know just ask. Keep an organizer with Dad for Appmnts, Meds, test time and results and Questions for Drs and us. Just a small pocketbook size one does the trick. Hear from ya' Soon and Sending a prayer for Dad and the whole family.

Testing can determine the cause of one's LC? Didnt know that.

That's only partially true, as Katie said. For example, adenocarcinoma is less strongly associated with smoking than other cell types, but there is plenty of evidence that smoking is associated with virtually all types of lung (and other) cancers. The testing you refer to is histology, where a pathologist examines the cancer cells microscopically and determines specifics about the nature of the cells, such as their appearance and chemical characteristics. This testing is what happens when a biopsy is taken. However, histology is an imperfect science and sorting out which carcinogen caused the disease when someone has been exposed to multiple carcinogens is an educated guess at best. Since the bulk of the research strongly implicates smoking and secondhand smoke, that is the usual conclusion when there is more than one carcinogen in a person's history.