New to this board

JanMarie

Hi, my name is Jan. I am posting here for the first time but have been reading your board for almost 2 years. I feel as if I have learned so much from many of you as this is where I first heard about cyberknife and a few other things about lung cancer treatment. I have cried tears over losses I have read here and felt joy over the good news posted. I belong to another message board where I do post and have come to love my cyberfamily but have not posted here due to lack of time as it is hard enough keeping up with the other board at times.

I work 3 12 hr night shifts over the weekends then hop in my car most weeks to drive 120 miles through LA traffic :roll: --ugh! To help my parents out which leaves little time.I decided to post as I have a question for Don Wood that I will post in NSCLC thread.

My mom is a 82 yr old non smoker that is currently a 2 year survivor of stage IV NSCLC with liver mets. She is one of the very lucky people that Tarceva worked for . It did away with her actual lung tumor and did shrink the liver mets at first but then they did progress and she was put back on chemo. As of her last CT the lung tumor is still gone.She is also lucky as she has not had any bad side effects and even her Tarceva rash was not too bad. In many ways she has been blessed during her treatments. Currently she is having issues with her blood counts and has been giving herself injections of Procrit and Neupogen. She lives a pretty normal life despite the cancer.

My dad is 82 and an ex smoker or so he says but we all know he does sneak a smoke when he can. He has a 2cm nodule in his left upper lobe and will be getting his PET scan tomorrow. Soon we will know if it is true that when it rains it pours!

My parents are in Southern California and have Kaiser as their HMO so things have been difficult at times but I have worked around doctors for the past 25 yrs so know how to deal with them and belive me it helps!

I love the way this board is set up so you can read a little history about each person's treatment as it is very helpful and the fact you are allowed to contact one another as that is not permitted on the other board :( . I want everyone here to know that while this is my first post that I have prayed for all of you too when I pray for my other cyberfamily. Thanks for the inspiration you all have been to me without your ever ene knowing until now. Jan

JanMarie, you are most welcome here! Glad you have posted. Congrats to your mom for 2 years of survivorship. May she have many more. My wife is knocking on 4 years of survivorship this year, so there is plenty of hope here. I like you mom's spirit! Fight on! Don

Tarceva also worked well for my husband. After some progression he was taken off and now Avastin seems to be keeping his cancer stable. Your mom may want to ask about it. I am so glad you came out of lurker land and joined in. Welcome.

Rochelle

Well, Hi there Jan and welcome here.

You know that I love when someone comes out of the shadows and lets us know that they appreciate this board. It certainly is a life saver. It lets us know that even though not many members post here (compared to the number of members they have here) that there are people out there who appreciate this board and even people who we helped without knowing it. It is so enlightening when someone lets us know that.

Congrats on your moms progress. She certainly is a very lucky lady. Keep us posted when you have the time as I see you certainly have a busy schedule. But I do hope now you will post more often.

Let us know how your parents are doing. Fingers crossed that your mom continues with positive results and that your dad will have positive ones also.

Walcome again!!

Maryanne :wink:

Jan,

Hello and welcome. I lurked for a bit before I got up the strength to post for the first time and I can tell you I am very, very glad I did find that strength. I have found so much support here and learned so much and it has made things so much easier for me.

I am sorry about your situation there. You already know you are among some of the best people here who will do whatever they can to help you out.

You and your family are in my prayers...

Chris

You are correct this is the place to learn. I found this site shortly after diagnosis and I quickly learned that the statistics don’t matter. I have gained a lot of hope from all the long term survivors, (like your Mom).

:D I want to thank all of you for your welcomes. I will have to share some of our stories with you when I have time. Tonight is my nephews 8th grade graduation followed by his big brothers high school graduation tomorrow and I will be taking my mom who is thrilled to be feeling well enough to see them graduate. Thanks again. I have known for along time what a great group of people there are here as it is very obvious when you read all the posts. Jan

are there parties after graduation I love a good party. Oh, and welcome to the boards. Where is the party? :lol:

welcome! I'm so glad you came out of lurkerness, I need to here success stories like your mom's. I love to hear that she's living life, even as she continues treatment. and I hear you re: how hard it can be to keep up with a busy, vibrant board - I've come and gone as time permits, but always come back to this family. it's a wonderful place, as you know, and it's nice to mee you, Jan Marie.

xoxo

bunny