Scans weren't good news

Candy

It came as no suprise since we went into them knowing Hugh's markers were up, but the chest scan showed a swollen area and enlarged nodes in his right lung (the original tumor was in his left lung). He started chemo today. Taxol and Camptosar. The doctor says the length of this is open ended depending on what the results are. He says the goal is still to shrink/stabalize the cancer and he also feels that we will see good results from the radiation for the brain mets. He wants to wait a full month before doing a brain scan. Hugh's spirits are still good, he is walking every morning and working around the house. I don't know if this chemo will make him as tired as the last. The doctor said the side effects are about the same. The treatment is different, before we did 3 days of treatment and 2 1/2 wks. off. Now we will do treatment once a week for 2 weeks and a week off. Any one have any experience with this chemo?

Candy,

Sorry I can't respond to the chemo question, but just wanted to let you know I was sorry to hear about the progression of Hugh's cancer. The good news is that you report he is feeling pretty well, so let's hope that helps as he starts this new regimen. Will keep you guys in prayers.

Candy, I am so sorry the results weren't as good as you hoped for.:( My mom also started chemo up again 2 weeks ago after 2 1/2 months off. She is getting Topetecan 5 days on and 3 weeks off. THey are switching her to 4 days on now though b/c her blood counts got dangerously low last week. She is doing fine with it now. I will keep Hugh in my prayers.

Candy,

I am so sorry to hear that the scan results were not good. It is great though that Hugh is not letting this dampen his spirits. He is going to beat this thing regardless.

I am not sure about the side effects of taxol, but Keith's first chemo combo was Camptosar (CPT-11) and Cisplatin. It was actually the chemo that caused him the least amount of trouble. He was a bit nauseous for 3-4 days following treatment, but he said not bad enough to slow him down. In fact, he would receive treatment on Friday, and by Monday he was back to work, he didn't miss a day. The first week was Cisplatin and CPT-11 and the second and third weeks were the CPT-11 alone. Those last two weeks were not a problem at all. I remember the second round of treatment, I came home from work on a Friday where he just received the CPT-11 to find him up on a ladder painting the house. No vomitting, diahhrea, hair loss, nothing.

I will be praying that this is the combo to work for Hugh, and that the next scans are surprisingly good.

God Bless

Carleen