Newly diagnosed-no insurance

I just found out this morning from my primary care doctor that I have nodules in both of my lower lung lobes and it has spread to my liver. The liver is what got me in to see him. I was having pain in my side and my lower back. At first, he thought it was gallstones, so he sent me for an ultrasound, it came back abnormal. He sent me for a CT on Monday, and he gave me the news this morning. The worse part of all of this is I have no health insurance. He is going to call our local county hospital which is also a teaching hospital to find an oncologist for me. My sister died there 4 years ago from a brain tumor and just going in the building is going to be tough for me. Are there programs out there for people with no insurance? I just don't know where to turn or what to do and all I can do is cry today. I have been searching online but then I found you all and read alot of your stories and they give me some hope. I don't even know what I have yet. How will I find out the stage stuff? Can anyone give me any information please? Deb

Hey Debbie ~

I am so sorry hear of your dx. I haven't been around much lately, but your story tugs...

I am always happy to help - especially one of my "neighbors" so to speak :wink: You're in luck...I am an obsessive researcher, and will start searching for some resources for you. In the meantime...chin-up, mi Amigo! This is a great place for support, and info. You'll see...folks in your situation will be along anytime!

Welcome & take HOPE!!! Shed some tears, and then put on your gloves, and get ready to kick some #$ss!!! Lots of folks to help you handle this load!

Back in awhile with some info!

Yours in HOPE!

Dazy

Hi Debbie,

I did some quick checking and here is a phone number (toll free) for New Mexico's Department of Human Services-Medical Assistance Division.

1-888-997-2583

I think if you give them a call they can point you in the right direction.

As to your question about dx, etc..I believe a biopsy will need to be done so the type of cancer you have can be identified. Once that is known, then you and the docs will map out a plan of treatment.

Wishing you all the best and please post again and let us know how you are doing.

Lots of prayers, Debbie

Libby

http://www.lungcancer.org/patients/fs_pc_support.htm

Financial Assistance

Cancer Care's social workers can provide guidance about financial benefits and sources of help, as well as limited grants for certain kinds of cancers and for people in some locations. In order to qualify, you need to provide Cancer Care with information about your source of income, monthly income and expenses, and in some cases, invoices for the costs of services. For information on financial assistance, call 1-800-813-HOPE (4673) or email info@cancercare.org.

http://www.lungcancer.org/patients/fs_pc_support.htm

Here's an NCI designated Center in your area

University of New Mexico's Cancer Research & Treatment Center:

http://cancer.unm.edu/

UNM CRTC Clinic: 505-272-4946

1 (800) 432-6806

Also try the Mayo Clinic site: http://www.mayoclinic.org/patientinfo/

I'll continue looking... :wink:

Yours in HOPE!!

Dazy

I'm so sorry to hear of your diagnosis and then to have to deal with the financial concerns is overwhelming. Contact social services and the hospital social services to look for alternatives. Many drug companies provide free chemo when money is unavailable.

I wish you well and please use the board to vent.

Mary

Thanks for answering so quick to me. I guess I'm just in shock, normally I would be online looking for resources for anyone else but for some reason all I wanted today was to talk to people going thru the same thing. I'm just so scared. Deb

Deb,

I've listed below some websites that might help you out in your situation. I am very sorry that you are going thru this, please know that this community is a wonderful place for support!

Grace

PATIENT ADVOCATE FOUNDATION

http://www.patientadvocate.org/index.php

AROUND.ORG

http://www.iaround.org/lung_cancer_fina ... stance.php

*** gives links to various resources

Debbie;

I have a little experience with the UNM CRTC. They are the ones who did my radiation treatments. Everyone in the radiation department is great and helpful especially the Docs. I believe you will find that most of the people there are going to try and help you as much as they can. I am a VA patient so I didn't have to pay for any of the treatments but I have seen quite a few of the UNM Doc's because they also work out at the VA. I'm sorry you had to find this site but I'll tell you these are some of the greatest people you'll ever want to talk to. Between the knowledge and the compassion I have found a lot of comfort here and lots of inspiration.

Ralph

You got some great leads here Best of luck in follow ups on these leads. Lots of great people here and keep us posted on what is going on with you as soon as you know. Get a small organizer to take along for questions apptmnts treatments test times and results. 95% of all people get memory loss when naked in front of a Doctor. you may want to look into A social services rep at treatment facility for help with resources.Sending prayers.

Thanks for your replies, I'm just numb tonight. I had to tell my husband when he got home and that was really rough. We've been holding and crying together all night.

I will be following up on the links you supplied and I will definetly come here and let everyone know whats happening.

Thanks so much. Deb

hi Deb.

I can completely relate to how you are feeling today. Overwhelmed, scared spitless, shock and yes, numb is another good one.

Hold each other and call the doc tomorrow for a xanax or ativan prescription to help you over these first few days at least. These are the worst. I assure you.

Once you have a bit of a grip on what you are dealing with, things will soon be falling into place, you will find your calm in the eye of the storm, and pretty soon you will be helping us!

come back often. That is what we are here for!

Cindi o'h

3 years, 7 months surviving later stage lung cancer, with no recurrence! (that spells HOPE!)

Hello Debbie and welcome.

As you can probably tell already, you found the greatest site as far as support and information and most importantly, caring people!

Please know that you can ask any and all questions here and someone is bound to be along with answers or at the very least be able to point you in the right direction.

I am so sorry you are being faced with this disease, but there is so much hope and support here. Just let us know how we can help and we will be right here for you.

Sending prayers and lots of positive thoughts,

Chris

Hi Deb:

I am sorry you got the bad news. You are going through all the stuff that each one of us went through when we got our diagnosis. You have gotten a lot of good advice here. The financial stuff will work out. There are resources available as shown in the previous posts. Each state has their version of Medicaid. I am sure it will be mentioned in the links you have. My brother had no insurance, and he received medical care for his cancer through Medicaid. There are forms to fill out etc.

I was in a state of shock and disbelief when I got my diagnosis. I immediately took steps to deal with it even as I was going through the various emotions. It helped me cope with it by doing something about it.

You will probably have a biopsy so that they can see what kind of cancer you have. They will need to know that in order to treat it. A biopsy would be proof of cancer. PET scans and CT scans are not proof of cancer but are very useful. A PET scan can be useful in looking for malignacys in and outside the lungs. It would be a good idea to have an MRI to make sure there is no spread to your brain.

Once you see a oncologist things will start to fall in place with a treatment plan and a sense of routine that will help smooth things over.

More and more these days, late stage lung cancer is being viewed as a chronic disease that can be treated, rather than wait 6 months and die.

You have my best wishes.

Don M

• 2 weeks later...

Well, its been interesting to say the least since I first came here on the 5th.

I still don't know exactly what I have yet, but I did finally get to see an oncologist yesterday. I am paying cash for everything so far, but I do have an appointment on Tuesday to see if I qualify for Medicaid.

I have another CT scan on Tuesday because the Onc said the first one wasn't clear enough for him to see where the primary is coming from. Then I have a liver biopsy on the 28th. He will then see me again on the 11th of August as he is going on vacation.

I am at the county hospital here in Albuquerque at the Cancer Center. They were on the news yesterday as being in the top 50 Cancer hospitals in the country. I have also been told that my Onc is the best in the state. Just so happens he treated my sister for brain cancer 4 years ago, but she died 5 months into treatment from pneumonia.

I had 6 viles of blood drawn yesterday and actually lived thru the experience. I have hated needles and anything to do with them since I was a little girl. This whole thing just has me terrified, but day by day, I am learning to meditate myself into a state of well being. Otherwise, I think I would have shot myself by now. The fear of this and not knowing what is wrong has just been horrible. Then not having insurance on top of that made it worse. Now I am seeing a light at the end of the tunnel. I know that I will receive treatment whether I have money or not and that in itself is a great relief.

I have been scared to come back here, because I had just put it away out of my mind and pretended it wasn't happening to me. Then I realized I need to be able to face this head on if I want to live. No more hiding. I will be back here more and appreciate all the positive and kind things everyone here has said to me.

I have quite a support system and truly have friends in my life I didn't even realize I had and I am truly grateful to God that he has allowed me to have them in my life. Keep on praying for me and I will pray for everyone here also.

Have a great day! Deb:)

Hi Deb,

Glad you found your way back to us!

You are so right about the finances. They will all work themselves out.

It is best to have the attitude that you have regarding going at it "full-on"... Take no prisoners!

There are a few scary squirrels who do a lot of our fighting around here. One with a bat, three with light sabers and the other one is X-rated... all compliments of our little Eppie in the Just for Laughs forum..(she is a twisted sister...good, harmless and a whole lotta fun!)

Whatever questions you have, there will be some one of us who has probably had them too and many of us can share our experience and knowledge with you. This is a generous community.

Come here as often as you need/want.

You are doing really, really well so far! (Proud of you!)

Cindi o'h

What is PPARx

Link Is at End Of article and Thanks Karen

The Partnership for Prescription Assistance brings together America’s pharmaceutical companies, doctors, other health care providers, patient advocacy organizations and community groups to help qualifying patients who lack prescription coverage get the medicines they need through the public or private program that’s right for them. Many will get them free or nearly free. Its mission is to increase awareness of patient assistance programs and boost enrollment of those who are eligible. Through this site, the Partnership for Prescription Assistance offers a single point of access to more than 475 public and private patient assistance programs, including more than 150 programs offered by pharmaceutical companies. To access the Partnership for Prescription Assistance by phone, you can call toll-free, 1-888-4PPA-NOW (1-888-477-2669).

More about this program

Finding Programs

In order to find out what patient assistance programs you may qualify for, all you have to do is answer a few short eligibility questions. This site will help supply you with the information you need to get involved in a program and even allow you to download applications online. You can then follow the instructions on the application to apply.

https://www.pparx.org/Intro.php

http://www.lungcanceronline.org/sites/pharmcos.html

These 2 links should help with Finances of Drug Coverage. I have a very soft spot For Debs My Wife Was Deb so If ya need anything PM Me or ddrop a post somewhere and I willfind It. Prayers ang Hugs this will be a bumpy road but we can help with a lot of those little Bumps in the road. PM If ya need me.

DebbieLuc

I am glad you came back to update us. It has got to be such an emotional battle for you. Please know we are here for you. It is good that you are finally going to get to see about Medicaid, also you definitely should be talking to the cancer centers social worker to help you out, he or she should be able to help you get on the right road financially. All the best to you...

Grace

Hi Deb, welcome back. I am glad you area able to focus on your medical needs for now. The financial stuff will sort itself out. Randy gave you some good resources. I hope you qualify for medicaid. Good luck on your upcoming biopsy.

Don M

Hi Debbie,

Just wanted to welcome you to the community and to let you know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. Take it one day at a time and try not to stress the future too much -- things have a way of working themselves out as you move along in this journey. Good luck.

Trish

I think all of us who have been dx.d with lung cancer would love to go hide with you. But then again, you wouldn't be alone hiding either! :roll::wink:

I'm glad you found your way back to us also. We're here to walk the walk with you, because we honestly know what your going through. Not a fun ride by no means, but it's a very doable ride at that! You'll have to learn how to take baby steps, but we can help you do that also.

Keep us posted.