saving moms final phone message

Bill

a question for any cell phone tek gurus out there. my fathers cell phone has a message from my mom on it. a short message asking to see him. dated a couple of days before she died. does any body know how that SAVED MESSAGE on his cell phone can be presaerved . if phone service for that phone is discontinued will the message be lost or can he keep the phone and be able to replay saved messages such as her message even if he no longer subscribes to that phone service

thanx for any help

rob

I wish I knew.. I lost all the saved messages from Brad and was so heartbroken when I realized they were gone.

My best advice would be to maybe play the message into a tape recorder? I wish I had known that my old messages would be deleted after a certain amount of time as I would have tried that myself.

Good luck and hugs...

Chris

Rob,

Once the cell phone service is disconnected, most likely the message will not be saved as it normally saves to the network's voice mail system, not the phone itself. Also, please check with your provider, I know my network 'dumps' the saved messages after 28 days. At least this is how Cingular does it.

I'm not sure how to save the message unless you can record it onto a tape recorder or similar device. If you have a home phone with answering machine, maybe you could call the network's voice mail number, retrieve the message and record it on that.

Someone else probably has a better idea on how to do this, just my 2 cents.

I'm not sure but I know you should do it soon. Some companies dump them after just a few days.

After my Johnny died I got home from the hospital and realized that the message on my phone that I had not listened to was from Johnny. He called me the morning I was going to pick him up. He had called me a 5:17 am and woke me up because he was so excited. I was pulling into the parking lot when my phone rang so I never answered it. He saw me and that was on my phone he said"it is time for you to get your buns up here to take me home. Oh there you are!'

I played that message over and over just so I could hear his voice. He was so alive. Less than a week later when I tried to play it for his niece it was gone. I don't know why they dumped it so soon but they did and I was even more heartbroken. I felt that every part of him was being stripped away from me.

I suggest that you do something with your mom's message now. Record it on a tape then ask the cell company if there is a way they can either save or for you or tell you how to do it. Just don't lose that message hearing her voice again is a gift you will want to keep.

I know that these messages are only saved for a specific amount of time. I would imagine this time is determined by each individual phone provider. I think your best bet would be transferring the message to a tape recorder. You may lose some of the quality but the message would be permanent. I have some taped conversations of Dennis' voice and I love hearing them from time to time. By the way, how are you and your dad doing?

I too lost a message from my Dad. I had no idea that the company dumps saved messages. It was such a cute message. I was so upset to find I lost it. I would love to here his voice again. Good luck in saving yours and let us know if you figure out how to do this.

Denise

thanx to every body for the advice. you are right. we are all in the same boat when it comes too preserving cell phone messages. all saved messages are dumped at sum point depending on the company policy. we are with sprint. some body that I know mentioned a transfer to cd but it sounds like a long shot and he didnt even talk like he understood how he would go about doing it. I tried a transfer to a casette recorder and her voice hardly picks up. quality is so poor that not worth keeping

rob

Rob/Bill -

I sent a PM but wanted you to know that I work for Sprint and have reached out to a couple of co-workers to see if the message can be saved permanently or if they can record the message to CD. I will let you know what I find out.

Much Love,

Amy P

Bill

I believe there is a little microphone that you can purchase at a local electronics store (Radio Shack used to carry them near here) The mic attaches to the back of the phone via small suction cup and it transfers the phone voice to tape quite well. Perhaps that would work better? I know my father in law used to have one and he swore by it for recording calls to transfer to meeting minutes when he was a town secretary. Wish I had it now to send on to you.

Best of luck with this,

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dedgewood

i just found this forum, so hence the late response. what you can try and i did not see suggested above unless i missed it, is to use a nice office style speaker phone to record the message to tape. i saved my grandfather's answerming machine message much like this. maybe you or a friend's office has a phone with a decent speakerphone built into it. replay the message thru speakerphone with tape recorder nearby. also you can get one of those cheap/freebie microphones you sometimes get with computer hardware, hook that up to your computer's mic jack, record it using the Sound Recorder that comes with Windows (you'll have to tweak the bit rate settings a bit most likely). Then you can dump it straight from your line-out on computer to line-in on tape recorder (not all have this), via a 1/8th to 1/8th male-to-male wire/jack. hope that helps.

Bill,

I have a friend who is a computer genius. I mentioned to him that I have one last phone message from Keith that I wanted to somehow save. He said he could transfer it to CD, so I will see how it is he does this and get back to you.

Carleen

This happened to me, kinda. I had 11 messages from my mom on my home and work answering machine. When I moved from my apt. into moms home, I lost those 5 messages because I unplugged the phone. My work phone still has 4 messages on it and I have to figure out something before I leave that job to get them off my work phone onto something else.

i hope you get this saved.