? about nose bleeds

SusanMcG

My dad has stage IV nsclc with mets to brain, liver and adrenal glands. He has been through 22 radiation treatments (the last two were site specific blasts and 20 whole brain) with his last treatment 2 weeks ago. Today he began getting nose bleeds everytime he blew his nose. Is this normal? A sign of trouble? I am very concerned because he actually called his doctor today - something he hasn't done when he's had any other side effect/symptom (even though he should! stubborn!) His onc wasn't available and no one has gotten back to us yet. TIA

I did not get nosebleeds per se, but while I was receiving chemo, I would see a noticeable amount of blood when I blew my nose in the mornings. It went away within a few weeks of stopping chemo. But like Cindi said, if your dad is bleeding profusely, it should be checked out by a doctor.

Deb had an occasional spotty nose bleed during treatments can't remember which one though but never any thing major. Dad is doing the right thing though.

I'm glad your dad put a call in to his doctor. It's always better to be on top of these things, even when it may be nothing. Dennis' oncologist always encouraged us to call with any questions or changes in his body. When Dennis started radiation, he did have a few nose bleeding episodes.

Susan:

As folks have already mentioned, calling the doc. (even talking to the nurses there) is the safest thing to do.

I apologize for not being more familiar with your particulars, but is your dad on oxygen? Mom got nosebleeds from how the continuous oxygen can dry out and irritate the nasal passages (so we were told). When she was on a room concentrator there was humidity provided, but when she was on the portable O2 so much for chemo/radiation treatments, the unhumidified O2 just seemed to cause daily minor nosebleeds.

Linda