New Here

Hi my name is Kim. My mother was in our local ER in Janurary with a wide variety of symptoms. She had a full chest x-ray was put on a IV and told she had pneumonia. She was given antibotics and tylenol cough syrup and sent home. She felt better for awhile and then her left shoulder began to hurt really bad. She went to see a doctor and we told him about the pneumonia and he orderd another chest x-ray. That is the day our world stoped. She had a spot on her x-ray in her left and right lung. The doctor was really concerned about it so he sent her to see a pulmonologist. She has had two biospys and a bone scan and this satruday she is having her pet scan. She was dx with nsclc. Squaous cell on the left side and adenocarcinoma on the right. We just found out that she is starting chemo and radation on Monday the 10th. She will have a six day chemo treatment with VP-16 (etoposide) and Cisplatin. Then she will have 3 wks off chemo and then another 6 day cycle. Radation everyday for 6-8 weeks. They told her that she will lose her hair in about 3 to 4 weeks. She is having such a hard time dealing that she has just stoped listing and makes me deal with the doctors which I gladly do. I just hope she dosent give up. She seems to be taking alot of pain meds and seems doped up all the time I am so scared. Does anyone have any advice on anything...I just feel so lost......Thanks Kim

Hi Kim,

I'm new here also. I can really empathise with how you feel. My father was just diagnosed with nsclc and I am also feeling both lost and scared.

Read around this message board. It will bring you great comfort, courage and inspiration. These wonderful folks have all been in our shoes as survivors and caregivers/family members.

The advice I have recieved personally and through other posts has been uplifting and wonderful. I honestly don't think I would be capable of coping if it were not for these fantastic people.

I can't offer any advice, but I can and will send you positive thought and prayers.

-Rod

Kim,

I know all too well about your world being turned upside down. But also know that your mom can and will be treated. This is not an easy road to go down, but you being there for your mom is one of the best things in the world she needs right now. Please know that there are many people, with many stories about dealing with this awful disease!...Know that you have found a very supportive place here, please don't hesistate to come here..

Grace

Hello Kim and welcome.

I am so sorry about your mom, but I am very glad you found this site.

Although I cannot offer you much in the way of advice regarding your mom's treatment,I can tell you that there will soon be an outpouring of posts in reply to yours from some of the best people. You will find answers, advice and maybe the most important things, HOPE and SUPPORT.

Let us know what you need and we will be here for you.

Sending you prayers and many positive thoughts,

Chris

FIrst off, I am sorry wwe have to meet like this and under these circumstances :cry: , But on the up side I am glad we have met :) . I know how hard this is right now. You and mom are scared and Mad. Let these out. Cry and scream all you want right now. When You are done it is time to fight this beast. THis is not a death sentence by any means, just a new type of normal everyday life. We are always here to help for any reason you may need us. If you or mom just want to Vent and blow off steam, Go ahead and write it down here and we will listen, no apologies needed.

Second of all This is a great link to figure out a lot of basic info about this disease and to keep upwith the medical news. Click on below to be redirected;

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/home/index.asp

Third of all, A tip for you, Get an organizer to carry in purse. Use this to keep track of appointments, Test times, results, ALL MEDS INCLUDING OVER THE COUNTER SUPPLEMENTS, ansd questions. Remember 95% of all patients get memory loss when in a Doctors office.

Fourth Keep us posted knowledge is power and the more you know the more powerful you are. I send prayers for you and family. This is a bumpy road but we will help you enjoy the scenery along the way.

My advise would be the same as Randy's. When I was first dx there was so much to absorb.

I was sick, spaced out on drugs and could not for the life of me take in what was being said......there was so much of it.

I abdicated to my husband and he took over with the questions and remembered the answers.

When I felt better and the drugs no longer affected my brain power I was able to take back the responsiblity, however, my husband still came with me to appts so that there were two sets of ears and his questions could be adressed too.

It sure sounds like your Mom is still reeling and maybe like me she will soon be able to advocate on her own behalf, she's in an awfully lonely place right now.....as much as my family was suffering they had no conception of the dx from my vantage point.

Support her and love her right now and later give her a gentle push if things don't change.

Take care

Geri

Hi Kim,

So sorry you had to find us. Your Mom is scared, angry and no doubt in pain. She needs time - although I think the aggressive treatment is good. It's so overwhelming a diagnosis that I think it takes several weeks just to get to being a rational individual again. For me, after the first week or so, I called and asked my doctor for a mood elevator - just to be able to get past tears.

Eventuall, you find out that you can live with cancer - and then they'll still be ups and downs, but you are in the moment.

I hope all goes well in the initial treatment and you and your Mom are able to regain some peace.

Mary

Hi Kim,

So sorry to hear about your Mom. Reading your post brought back all the feelings I had when my Dad was diagnosis. He too shut down when it came to doctors appointments and relied on me to ask all the questions. My life became totally consumed with lung cancer research and doctors appointment. It takes some time to adjust, but you will. Just give it some time. I bought a daily planner and kept notes from appointments, schedules for treatments, and phone numbers in there. This helped a great deal. The notes really helped in filling in other family members about what the doctor said at appointments. This web site is a great place to get support and information. So many nights I spent here during my Dad's journey. It is great to have people who totally understand what you are going through.

Sounds like your Mom is getting good treatments. There is a lot of hope on this board just keep reading. If you need to talk I'm always here. I totally understand.

Denise

Hi Kim,

As Denise and all the others have said, this is the place to come for advice and comfort. We all understand how you feel. The new diagnosis is so incredibly hard to soak in. I don't remember anything the doctor told me after the word cancer. My mind was racing too much. Thank heaven that I had my family there to help me through it.

Yes, she is going to lose her hair with VP16 and Cisplatin. I had the same chemo treatment. She'll also have to take a TON of meds and she'll lose her appetite. Having both radiation and chemo at the same time will wear her down. She'll need to drink LOTS of water each day regardless if she wants to or not. It will be a struggle for her to get anything down because she won't want to.

Keep us posted on how she's doing. We're all here to help you!

Darrell

Hi Kim: I am sorry your mom got lc. It is good that you are ready to step in for her and be her advocate and listener.

As time goes by, encourage your mom to get involved and be your partner in fighting the disease. I think that people who aggressively participate in the fight, rather, than passively accept treatment, have better footing for fighting this disease. It is a war. I think a warrior’s mindset is likely to be the best way to deal with it. This is just my opinion. But, I find being actively engaged in the treatment decisions, is a good way for me to cope with my disease. During my radiation treatment, I would chant to myself, die, tumor die as it was being zapped. Isn’t that kind of warlike?

Anyway, it appears your mom is having aggressive treatment. The chances are good, that the cancer will have retreated when her first scans are done.

So, welcome to the boards.

Don M

Hi Kim. Those are the same chemo's I had. Hope they work as well with your Mom.

the good thing about loosing your hair is you don't need to shave your legs for months! Also less time and money spent on hairdo's also!

Keep us posted.

Donna G

Hi, Kim, and welcome. Sorry about your mom. Plenty of info and support here. When a person starts taking pain meds on a regular basis, they often are sleepy. It takes a while to discover what dosage is right for the particular person and particular med that will ease the pain and not make them so drowsy. Hang in there. Don

So sorry for your moms diagnosis. We have all walked in your shoes and we know how scared you are. LC is not a death sentence as many here have beaten the odds and its been years and they are still stable.

Once your mom starts treatment you all will feel better. Please keep a positive attitude as that is half the battle. Encourge your mom that LC can be put under control. Perhaps her attitude is not positive because first of all finding out you have this beast and all the pain medicine she is on. Hopefully once she starts treatment she will feel better. But she must fight it is important for her recovery that she should NEVER GIVE UP!!

You keep a smile on your face and let her know how much you love her and will always be there for her.

We are always here to give you support and prayers if needed.

Keep us posted on your moms progress.

Maryanne