UK Mum Dying of Cancer Gives Birth

UK Mum Dying of Cancer Gives Birth to Healthy Daughter

by Hilary White

NOTTINGHAM, July 6, 2006 (LifeSiteNews.com) – Zoe Jackson was born by cesarean section at 28 weeks and 4 pounds, 12 ounces, to 36 year-old mother Sam and is doing well. Her mother, Sam Jackson, is in the late stages of lung cancer and is not expected to live more than a few more weeks.

Zoe and her mother are in the care of Nottingham City Hospital where Sam had undergone chemotherapy and steroid treatments: one to relieve symptoms of cancer and the other to protect the life of her unborn daughter.

The UK’s Mirror reports that Sam Jackson’s only thoughts were how to live long enough to bring Zoe safely into the world and how to keep cheerful for her family.

Sam is cautiously optimistic about Zoe’s chances saying, “The chances of a baby surviving at 28 weeks are a lot higher than they used to be.”

She and her long-term live-in partner Ivan were wed two weeks ago at West Bridgford register office, Notts. The couple have three young sons.

"Words can't describe how it feels to see my little girl alive and well,” Sam said. “ I couldn't settle until I'd seen her. And she's beautiful.”

Sam Jackson’s husband, Ivan, said of their daughter, days before she was born, “She has become a little angel. If she looks like her mum she will be my little angel and I hope she grows up to be just that.”