Recent Surgery

Billy 2753

In late May 2006 while in the hopital being

monitored after a cardioversion a mass was discovered on in my right upper lobe. I had no symptons and this was a real blindside hit if you will. On June 6th surgery was done and the tumor was successfully removed. Nothing had spread to any other place in body. I am very thankful to my Lord for that. I was transfered to a therpy center for 4 days and realesed. I am with a daughter, not on the farm alone. I am doing great but there is pain present all the time. The pain clinic has it under cntrol; has given me a receipe for a witches brew that is to counter the bad effects of the pain meds I hope. I am 75 years old and have never been very sick before so sometimes all this stuff these people do is a bit frightening.

Thanks all for this site. I will have my first visit with the surgeon in in about 3 weeks.

Hi Billy 2753, I have not read a post from you before so Welcome to our site. It sounds as if you have been very lucky and they were able to remove the entire tumor.

The pain will slowly, very slowly, go away over the next year. It took me about 6 weeks before I could even sleep alittle while on my right side. I still have some pain/tingling but not that bad.

Keep taking the pain meds but be sure to also take metamucil or something like it cause those pain pills can really clog a person up! :D

Be sure to keep moving your right arm around to stay flexible. I begin with both hands at my side, then extend my arms out to each side and slowly raise them reaching and stretching as high as possible above my head.

You might want to ask surgeon about beginning physical therapy next time you meet with him. My dad had a car accident three years ago and physical therapy helped him tremendously.

Best wishes, Barb

PS. My dad is 89 and still living alone on the farm in wisconsin. He has a friend who is 90 and still alone on his farm. You guys amaze me.

Hi Billy and Welcome,Your surgery seems to have gone well.It takes a long time for the pain to go away.Be patient with it and eventually it will either get better or you will become used to it.

Stay positive,as you can see here there are many of us beating the crap out of the statistics every day.

Hi Billy,

So sorry you had to find us. As you can see we are very supportive and many have walked in your shoes or the shoes of a caregiver.

You are extremely fortunate that they were able to operate on you. As only 1 in 4 can be a candidate for that.

You only had the operation in May, so it will take time for the pain to subside. Sometimes the pain could come from them moving or breaking a rib.

Take time to heal as it will get better.

We are always here for you. Keep us posted on our progress.

Maryanne :wink:

Hi Billy:

I guess this summer you will be recuperating. It sounds as if you had a successful surgery and now just have to mend.

One word of caution, if your tumor was bigger than 3 cm, you should have chemo. When you get about 4 weeks out from surgery, make an appointment with a oncologist at a cancer center and ask him for his recommendations.

Don M

Hi Billy,

My name is Connie and I am an 11 year lung cancer survivor. I had my left lung removed 11 years ago.

This is a very slow healing process. I was on my pain meds for about 2 to 3 months. As time went on for me, I cut back on my meds, and you will too. Don't try and play the hero when it comes to this pain. Drugs are a wonderful healing medicine and they really help us to heal as well as feel better.

One of my lung cancer support group members had his lung removed at the age of 75 and that was 5 years ago. He's doing very well today.

I know you didn't have a lung removed, but the surgery isn't much different be it a lung or a lobe.

We're here to help if and when you need us.

Get lots of rest, and Get Well Soon!

I am happy to hear that your surgery went well. I had my upper right lobe removed one year ago. I had pain from the incision area. That will be with you for a while, but pain pills will get you through that, afterwards you can take over the counter pain pills as you need them. Be sure to walk a little each day-but don't over do it. Do eat a proper diet and drink plenty of water. Talk to your surgeon or doctor about adjuvant chemo when you go back for your appointment. Today I am pain free and cancer free by the Grace of God. I pray that all continues to go well with you.